Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2018, 08:27   #1

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu
Silentwind Gen won't spin....help!

Ciao all... The fairly new Silentwind on my new-to-me boat used to work great. Now, for no discernible reason, it doesnt spin. The red brake light is not lit up on the controller. I've clicked it on, the brake light goes on, off again, off, and nothing. Winds up to 30 knots at night, batteries draining from fridge etc (ie not full at marina on shore power and still nothing. I cycled through the menus and when I hit reset for a brief second (less than 5 seconds, which I gleaned from the manual was a soft reset...what does that do? it didn't tell me), the brake light came on and went out briefly. Still no turny.

How can I test it, or make the thing work? The PO of the boat was meticulous and like I said the thing worked for a few weeks fine, but then just quit a few weeks ago..... any ideas?
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 13:22   #2
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat
Re: Silentwind Gen won't spin....help!

Do you have the Technical Manual onboard? There are troubleshooting steps listed.
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 17:49   #3

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: Silentwind Gen won't spin....help!

Disconnect the three wires from the controller (have a way to stop the wind gen by turning it away from the wind before doing this). If it starts up you have a short between the three wires somewhere. I've had a problem where the posts are so close together that two of the wires made contact when a thumbscrew got loose.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind