Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2017, 21:13   #16

Re: Should I shut off the inverter...

I leave my Victron inverter turned on so that it can compensate for any intermittent shore power problems. It will switch to inverter if the shore power is the wrong voltage or frequency -- potentially protecting devices on the boat. For safety, I also limit the shore power to 40 amps (on a 50 amp cord) and let the inverter handle short term peaks.

Since I consider 12v more critical than 110v, I always set the Victron low voltage shutoff to turn off the inverter when the batteries drop to about 60%. This leaves plenty of remaining power for the fridge and lights. I find this shutoff is as useful at anchor as the dock. It's saved me several times when guests have used their hair dryers without checking with me first.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 13:28   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bristol 45.5

I leave my inverter on , it will turn itself off if it is not used for 48 hrs. I remember once when I forgot it turned itself off and was scratching my head for a few minutes before I figured it out . My domestic water pump works on AC from the inverter so I turn that off when I leave the boat. The batteries will disconnect them selfs from the house if there is a low voltage event in any of the cells . The only thing I use from the shore power is a little space heater on cool nights . So I don't connect to shore power when the weather is warm .

Regards John.
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 15:06   #18
CLOD

Boat: none

On the times I've been on shore power (like 12) I leave the inverter on as that's the same as leaving the charger on. If shorepower goes away that's a minor load in the big picture.
Old 22-02-2017, 15:30   #19
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

We had an inverter go up in smoke, always turn mine of when not in use.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter