Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2014, 05:20   #31

Re: Short term smart solution, or false economy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Get the cheap bank now because in 3 or 4 years time they will be shot and the good batteries will be cheaper.
Ditto... Mostly.

Take good care of them and your batteries won't be "shot" in 3-4 years. A bit tired would be more like it. But in 4 years the cost of lithium batteries will most likely have come down enough to more than pay for the L/A batteries now. Not only that, but in 4 years there will probably be better, cheaper options available for maintaining and monitoring lithium batteries, so it's a win-win all around.

Good luck.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 06:13   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Something else occurred to me...

When you head off, there is no reason you couldn't make the first stop somewhere that has better pricing on this equipment. Most of the stuff is coming out of China anyway, so taking a trip to Hong Kong (I really have no idea where) for instance may be a realistic way to save some cash when it's time.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 06:32   #33
CLOD

Boat: none

[QUOTE=GILow;1592062

Is it a false economy, I wonder, to use this cheap flooded bank till we get "serious" and maybe also get a lower price on the Lithium bank later, but at least not worry about ruining a good battery bank from it sitting at the pen unused all week.
[/QUOTE]

I feel the mistake you are making is in not feeling that a "cheap flooded bank" isn't a "serious" setup!

My boat is sitting out on the mooring all by itself all week long with the refrigerator running. Boat has 3 year old cheap flooded batteries and a 290W solar panel. Batteries normally fully recharge every day and if there are a few cloudy days in a row they still don't normally go below 90% state of charge.

I don't really understand what else people are expecting of their battery systems!
Old 25-07-2014, 14:28   #34

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I feel the mistake you are making is in not feeling that a "cheap flooded bank" isn't a "serious" setup!

My boat is sitting out on the mooring all by itself all week long with the refrigerator running. Boat has 3 year old cheap flooded batteries and a 290W solar panel. Batteries normally fully recharge every day and if there are a few cloudy days in a row they still don't normally go below 90% state of charge.

I don't really understand what else people are expecting of their battery systems!
You're right, FLA is quite a good setup.

But I would expect quite a bit more power draw when we are travelling, than when the boat is resting in the pen. And once that stage is reached, the Lithium looks more attractive, at least from my readings. Weight, number of cycles, depth of cycles... at least on paper, all look better to me.

Matt
Old 25-07-2014, 14:30   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Something else occurred to me...

When you head off, there is no reason you couldn't make the first stop somewhere that has better pricing on this equipment. Most of the stuff is coming out of China anyway, so taking a trip to Hong Kong (I really have no idea where) for instance may be a realistic way to save some cash when it's time.

Interesting thought. I kind of cruising/shopping trip to HK.... hmm... I have a funny feeling that would appeal to my wife.

Mind you, I am not sure I'd be all that keen to be making significant electrical alterations in the middle of a cruise if I could avoid it.

Matt
Old 25-07-2014, 14:40   #36
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
You're right, FLA is quite a good setup.

But I would expect quite a bit more power draw when we are travelling, than when the boat is resting in the pen. And once that stage is reached, the Lithium looks more attractive, at least from my readings. Weight, number of cycles, depth of cycles... at least on paper, all look better to me.

Matt
Unless you just don't have the space for regular batteries, it is a given that you can talk yourself into "needing" anything if you want to.

So the thread is really just to get others to go along with it for justification.

I'm sure that your loads wouldn't really be any different than what others have had for years used cheap old flooded lead acid batteries.
Old 25-07-2014, 14:50   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Interesting thought. I kind of cruising/shopping trip to HK.... hmm... I have a funny feeling that would appeal to my wife.

Mind you, I am not sure I'd be all that keen to be making significant electrical alterations in the middle of a cruise if I could avoid it.

Matt
I have no idea if the economies and distances work, and certainly don't know if Honk Kong is the right place...

But when you cast off for good, swing by somewhere that has cheap parts and competent labor for a two to three month refit. It's pretty common here in the US to do this as people head south to the Carribean. They hole up in Florida for a while getting gear updated, new cushions made, electrical work done, ect. Parts are cheap, labor is less expensive (than the NE at least), ect...

You also get a few decent crossings to shake out any old issues that may need work before the 'remote' and 'can't get parts' portion of your life begins.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 00:36   #38

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

I reckon the plain old lead acid will be fine. I am still not sold on the newer technologies, and lithium really doesnt seem justified for a heavy boat like your Swanson. Just make sure they are proper deep cycle and have removable caps so you can top up any water loss. Modern solar regulators and charging technology really enhances the life of plain old lead acid batteries. Look forward to seeing you in Hobart sometime Matt,

cheers Ben
Old 26-07-2014, 00:54   #39

Thanks Ben, wish I were heading for Tassie now actually. Anyway, the cheap batteries I was looking at were "maintenance free" which means I can't top them up if I needed to. That's a whole other question I guess.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum