Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2018, 18:22   #1

Boat: Jeanneau SO409
Shore power not getting to boat. Ideas? Maybe an easy fix?

Hi everyone. I have a 2011 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409. Just recently, I went back to the boat in Jersey City, NJ, and noticed that shore power isn't getting through. I tested the shore outlets and both work. I have a 30A cable running to the air con and air con shows power. But, there's no power to anything else. Please see photos and any recommendations will be greatly appreciated. I had 2 heaters running when it was really cold and it makes me think that maybe a fuse tripped or something like that. But, I only have the boat for about a year and I'm still learning. Thank you in advance!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3611.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	407.2 KB
ID:	164508   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3609.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	403.1 KB
ID:	164509  

Name:	IMG_3613.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	441.5 KB
ID:	164510   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3617.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	455.5 KB
ID:	164511  

Name:	IMG_3622.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	402.3 KB
ID:	164512   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3627.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	401.5 KB
ID:	164513  

Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 18:43   #2

Re: Shore power not getting to boat. Ideas? Maybe an easy fix?

Did you try to resetting the breaker on pic 2? I don’t know that model but mine is green when things are good and red when I pull to much from shore.
rtoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 19:22   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtoner View Post
Did you try to resetting the breaker on pic 2? I don’t know that model but mine is green when things are good and red when I pull to much from shore.
I did flip them both down. No change on shore power. And air con power went off. When I flipped both up, again no change on shore power, but air con power went back on. I don't remember if it was green or red when power was on. But, and I'll double check tomorrow, the one for the air con is still red when power is turned on and air con works.

Thank you for the recommendation... I'll double check tomorrow when I go back to the vessel.
Old 20-02-2018, 19:42   #4

do you have 2 shore plugs? often Air con is on a 2nd cord. sounds like you have one plug working and one not working? or you only have one cord plugged in..

if it's only the outlets not working. then maybe it's something with the inverter or inverter pass through.

you're proably need a voltmeter to poke around with. and the knowledge of how to use it.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 20:03   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
do you have 2 shore plugs? often Air con is on a 2nd cord. sounds like you have one plug working and one not working? or you only have one cord plugged in..

if it's only the outlets not working. then maybe it's something with the inverter or inverter pass through.

you're proably need a voltmeter to poke around with. and the knowledge of how to use it.
Yes, I have 2 shore plugs. Air con is on the 2nd cord. That's correct, one plug is working and one isn't. Both are plugged in. Both outlets are working, since when I swapped them, air con still works.

I do agree about the voltmeter and the knowledge
Old 21-02-2018, 09:05   #6

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
Yes, I have 2 shore plugs. Air con is on the 2nd cord. That's correct, one plug is working and one isn't. Both are plugged in. Both outlets are working, since when I swapped them, air con still works.

I assume you have a splitter, essentially' making 1 shore power cord into 2?
From the pedestal on the dock to your shore owner plugs.
Or 2 separate cords? From the Pedestal.
Test for power, on each of the splitter plugs to the boat.
If that's ok, then power to the main at the breaker for the boat, we already know the (AC, air conditioner), is powered up.
If the circuit to the breaker for boat power is powered, then check to the Inverter power inlet side, maybe a fuse internally there.
Not sure which Inverter you have.
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 09:25   #7

Boat: 2001 Catalina 400 MKII
Send a message via MSN to CCR2580

With both heaters running you may have drawn too many amps and burned out the 110 pass thru on your inverter. So check the wire inside your inverter.
CCR2580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 09:54   #8

You cant run two heaters constantly on 30 amp shore power. You are asking for a failure or fire. When I ran one heater living aboard in moderate Seattle temps I would have to replace the shore power cord once a year as the ends burn up from the heater. Check your cord and fittings.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 09:55   #9

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:

I'm glad you recognized the knowledge part. "Poking around" with out it isn't a great idea.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 09:57   #10

Boat: 35' Sport Cruiser

Once you find the source of your problem, you should also take this opportunity to check your shore power inlet connections for good measure.

We lost a boat 3 years ago to a fire caused by wires overheated due to a corroded shore power plug. Didn't even know that they should be maintenanced, so I learned the hard way...
mchlsutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 10:06   #11

Boat: J42

Pick up a pen-sized yellow and black non-contact AC tester at Home Depot. It beeps when brought near to the hot wire. Invaluable trouble shooting tool. Corrected shore power outlets in two different harbors in Newfoundland which had reversed polarity, quickly passed by dozens of dead dock outlets, and detected faulty diodes in a friend's inverter by the unusual warble in the output wire.
Boston Blackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 10:17   #12

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Two separate A/C circuits. Your ship circuit has a tripped fuse between the inlet and the panel. You need trace and check. I would start at the panel.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 11:50   #13

Thank you to ALL that replied!!!

I ended up going with my wife to the boat today. Beautiful 70 degree weather here in Jersey City, NJ (just outside of New York City). I started taking everything apart and trying to find the culprit. No luck. Then, one of my neighbors, awesome guy David, came over with a contact-less voltmeter. We spent about an hour trying to see where the voltage stopped. We got all the way to the panel but couldn't figure out where it stopped. Then, he finally got the voltmeter to detect a voltage on a cable to the left of a connector and no voltage to the right of the connector. Weird! Upon closer look, we saw that it wasn't connected all the way. We turned off everything, took the two plastic pieces apart, and sure enough, the bottom (brown) cable connector looked not pushed all the way and the connectors looked a little scarred. We cleaned them, reconnected the connectors and pushed them together completely, and viola... shore power came on after we plugged it back into the shore outlets.

There also seems to be a circuit breaker missing on the blue and red connectors, but according to the boat manual, I think that's only for 220V. Although, I could be wrong.

See photos of the connector. Hope this helps someone else in the future!

Also, does the shore power cable look like it needs replacing??

Thank you!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3662_inked.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	408.6 KB
ID:	164563   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3664.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	397.3 KB
ID:	164564  

Name:	IMG_3661.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	406.1 KB
ID:	164565   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3607.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	349.4 KB
ID:	164566  

Name:	IMG_3606.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	384.3 KB
ID:	164567  
Old 21-02-2018, 12:07   #14

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Thank you to ALL that replied!!!

I ended up going with my wife to the boat today. Beautiful 70 degree weather here in Jersey City, NJ (just outside of New York City). I started taking everything apart and trying to find the culprit. No luck. Then, one of my neighbors, awesome guy David, came over with a contact-less voltmeter. We spent about an hour trying to see where the voltage stopped. We got all the way to the panel but couldn't figure out where it stopped. Then, he finally got the voltmeter to detect a voltage on a cable to the left of a connector and no voltage to the right of the connector. Weird! Upon closer look, we saw that it wasn't connected all the way. We turned off everything, took the two plastic pieces apart, and sure enough, the bottom (brown) cable connector looked not pushed all the way and the connectors looked a little scarred. We cleaned them, reconnected the connectors and pushed them together completely, and viola... shore power came on after we plugged it back into the shore outlets.

There also seems to be a circuit breaker missing on the blue and red connectors, but according to the boat manual, I think that's only for 220V. Although, I could be wrong.

See photos of the connector. Hope this helps someone else in the future!

Also, does the shore power cable look like it needs replacing??

Thank you!!!
Awesome Easy fix, maybe secure those black plastic connectors wires, so they don't pull/vibrate apart again.
Seeing the plating on those shore power cords prongs I'd go with a new socket/ boat side receptical, and cord.
Try these, work great.
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/smart...3?recordNum=81

Cheers,
SV Cloud Duster

You'll need the boat side receptical as well, there is a kit that includes both.
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 12:21   #15

Boat: J42

Even better, upgrade to a SmartPlug shore power outlet and plug. Much safer high conductivity connection with positive lock and waterproof gasket. It even fits in the cutout as your old Marinco plug. Those old circular style shore power connections are a major cause of boat fires.
Boston Blackie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, shore power