Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-07-2016, 15:03   #16

Re: Shore Power Connection - Tell Me Why I Can't Do This

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
OK, this seems to be getting quite complicated for me. I have, I think, correctly wired up the adapter and I am getting 230v into the shore power breaker on the boat. However, it is not getting to the panel for some reason. Between the breaker and the panel I have an ABB AE30-30 contactor to select between the genset and shore power. I was last on genset and I think it may not be switching over to pass the shore power through. I am trying to figure out why.

look on the side of the contactor at the spec for the coil. If it is not 230vac 50/60htz adn you applied the wrong cycles it may have fried the coil. To test the coil de-engerise everything and use a meter to measure ohms between A1 and A2 on the contactor it is open (infinity) the coil is fried.

Old 03-07-2016, 15:25   #17

Boat: Switch 51

No, not fried. Some but not infinite resistance between A1 and A2. And genset power goes thru.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Old 03-07-2016, 15:37   #18

I don't have a 220 one in front of me but I just check a Telemecanique which is probably close to the size you have with a 110vac coil and coil resistance was 125ohms. More than likely the contactor is setup with genset power going thru NC or normally closed contacts and shore power going thru NO or normally open contacts. Energising the contactor opens the NC and closes the NO. If its functioning there should be a visible Aux contact tab on the face or side you can see moving in and out when you switch it over. I would still look at the coil spec to insure it operates at both 50 and 60 cycles. If there are two seperate contactor side by side they probably have a make or break interlock between them that lets only one be energised at a time.
Old 03-07-2016, 16:02   #19

Hey, thanks for the help. I can't see the side of the contactors to get the specs because there is a timer next to each one. And indeed there are two contactors there. Here is a pic. I am not sure what the aux contact tabs are or how to make them move. I don't have any shore power to switch to. I can run the genset and turn its breaker on and off. Here is the data sheet. Doesn't seem to say anything about frequency.

http://new.abb.com/products/1SBL2890...v-dc-contactor

[Edit: I think that link is for the wrong model, but from what I can tell I think the ones I have are 50/60hz]

I am not sure I'll be able to get anyone to help with this here in Grenada and may just have to bypass the contactors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	contactors.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	384.8 KB
ID:	127335  
Old 03-07-2016, 16:42   #20

The pic and link help, without a dwg I can only guess based on the ABB spec but it looks like its a DC control circut off your hotel 24vdc, so input power issues on the shore side are possibly effecting a interlock. The TDR time delay relays are most likely your interlock protection from energising both sources at the same time or wiht out input power and possibley what is not happy with the shore power. With that said if you are able to run off your generator fine then the issue is most likely a input power issue into the shore power side. Part of the interlock circut via TDR or something else will depend on the shore power side being hot with the corect voltage etc before you can bring it on. If the boat came with prints then you can trouble shoot the control side easier. You have K1 contactor 1 and K2 contactor 2 and TDR time delay relay 1 and 2. You want to find the coil for the shore power contactor K1 or K2 on the print, denoted by a square or circle labled K1 or K2. Follow the A1 feed back on the drawing and it will take you through the relay logic that operates it.
Old 03-07-2016, 17:54   #21
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

I find it fascinating that there are so many posts giving advise on how to do something that could potentially burn down a boat. The op has no clue about electrics and the people posting the advise have no clue about the wiring of the boat (or shore circuit for that matter) - one or the other is needed to give any worthwhile advise.
Before I get flamed for this comment, I realize people are just trying to help .... and I would be all for it if the op knew something about electrics ....
Old 03-07-2016, 18:08   #22

Thanks for the useless rant.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 03-07-2016, 18:13   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
I find it fascinating that there are so many posts giving advise on how to do something that could potentially burn down a boat. The op has no clue about electrics and the people posting the advise have no clue about the wiring of the boat (or shore circuit for that matter) - one or the other is needed to give any worthwhile advise.
Before I get flamed for this comment, I realize people are just trying to help .... and I would be all for it if the op knew something about electrics ....
Everyone has their own opinion of what is or isn't safe and its their personal responsibility to be able to make those calls as to what they can and can't do. I would argue if somebody is bound and determined to try something at least giving accurate advise on cautionary steps to take is advisable.

Since it seemed to be already covered I refrained...

But I don't quit understand why if charging batteries is all that is required and the charger will accept the avaible input voltage and cycles, why not just make a temp shore cable up to power the charger independantly and not mess with the boat boat wiring.
Old 03-07-2016, 21:59   #24
Jd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
Thanks for the useless rant.

You are very welcome
Old 03-07-2016, 22:01   #25
Jd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingscotts View Post
But I don't quit understand why if charging batteries is all that is required and the charger will accept the avaible input voltage and cycles, why not just make a temp shore cable up to power the charger independantly and not mess with the boat boat wiring.
Exactly !
Old 09-07-2016, 07:37   #26

OK, here's an update. The installer of the contactors said they had coils that could take 110 - 250V but when I powered it I burned out the shore power coil. Upon removing it, it was for 120v/60 only. A mistake to put that in when what was requested was a system that could plug into 240/50. We sourced a multivolt contactor and now it should work as planned. The genset contactor does not need to change because unlike shore power it will always have one leg of 120v to power the coil. Thanks for any positive support.

Tags
shore power

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: