Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2014, 06:59   #1

Boat: Bayliner 2650
Sensor alarm going off

I have a mercruiser 350 bravo 3 (carb). When I get up on plane at around 2-3000 rpm's alarm sounds . Temp is normal, oil pressure goes up a little, outdrive oil is full. Can't duplicate problem at home on trailer. Seems to be only in water getting up on plane. Have replaced oil pressure sensor, sender, switch on outdrive resivour, temp sender, and thermostat. Alarm goes off when I slow down to 2000 rpm's. Any ideas?
Happy Thanksgiving!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Yes Deer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 08:09   #2

Boat: Krogen 42
You should try hulltruth.com for this
Old 27-11-2014, 08:38   #3

Boat: grampian 26
Re: Sensor alarm going off

Your drive may need to have a low water pickup if the leg is coming too far out of the water when up on plane. Look over the transom to see where the leg is provided it is not under a swim platform.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 10:08   #4

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yes Deer View Post
I have a mercruiser 350 bravo 3 (carb). When I get up on plane at around 2-3000 rpm's alarm sounds . Temp is normal, oil pressure goes up a little, outdrive oil is full. Can't duplicate problem at home on trailer. Seems to be only in water getting up on plane. Have replaced oil pressure sensor, sender, switch on outdrive resivour, temp sender, and thermostat. Alarm goes off when I slow down to 2000 rpm's. Any ideas?
Happy Thanksgiving!

Are there any other parts you could replace? It has to be something, right?

People always want to give me grief when I suggest calling in a competent mechanic when someone can't figure out something for himself so I'm not going to suggest it now. But add up the cost of time and materials to replace all the parts you've replaced up to this point and you might find it more expensive than a mechanic.

If you really insist on doing all your repairs yourself, I suggest buying an actual service manual for your year and model Mercruiser.
Old 30-11-2014, 04:27   #5

Boat: Bayliner 2650

Ummm, I have called three certified mechanics. And, have the service manual. I know there are only three sensors in the alarm circuit. Mystery is why alarm only sounds when attempting to get on plane. Today I'm going to have wife steer until alarm then start disconnecting wires one at a time on each sensor. Will see and will let you know what and if happens.

Yes Deer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2014, 06:37   #6

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yes Deer View Post
Ummm, I have called three certified mechanics. And, have the service manual. I know there are only three sensors in the alarm circuit. Mystery is why alarm only sounds when attempting to get on plane. Today I'm going to have wife steer until alarm then start disconnecting wires one at a time on each sensor. Will see and will let you know what and if happens.

Ummm, you have hired three certified mechanics to diagnose the problem and fix your boat or you just called them and asked for free advice? Have you searched the manual for troubleshooting advice? What problem is the alarm supposed to indicate?

Have you had this problem since the boat was new or did it start recently? If recently, has anything changed? Any repairs or modifications?

BTW: Trying to work on a boat's engine while going 30MPH is not for the faint of heart. A guy near my marina was doing this and was thrown out of the boat and killed a couple years ago.

Tags
alarm