Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2011, 03:39   #1

Boat: Oceanis 411
Securing 60kg Batteries !

Previous owner mounted 2 x 210ah Lifeline AGM under the stbd bunk. They are poorly secured.
Does anyone have recommendations for what straps padeye's or other tie down methods are ideal for this sort of mass?
The light-weight strap-down kit from Whitworths was ideal for the small cranker but just won't work on these monsters.
Any ideas most appreciated!
Old 16-02-2011, 04:15   #2

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran
These two 16" tall @ 6v each (L-16s) weigh a bit more than our 18 hp engine!
(Over 300#s)! I made a 3/4" ply box that was a bit larger than needed. It was pre glassed, so that epoxy fillets inside, and glass corner tapes outside were all that was necessary to finish it out.

To fasten down the box, I used 1.5" X 1.5" angle aluminum strips at the bottom, and to fasten down the batteries themselves, aluminum flatbar across the top. This flatbar is fastened down with 2" X 1/4" machine screws that are threaded into the 3/4" thick walls of the box. (I had poured a solid epoxy spot, drilled, and tapped the 1/4" threads, > 2"deep, to accommodate these machine screws.) The flat bar itself was padded with rubber underneath, for a jamb tight fit.

The bottom and sides of the box are lined with 1" X 1/2" thick strips of starboard, about 3" apart, to provide ventilation all around, keep the batteries cool, and create a jamb fit!

We have fallen off of a mountainous wave that broke out from under us, dropping the boat a considerable distance and landing on one ama. The box was fine! With a weaker box... the batteries might have kept going!

You are correct to be concerned about the issue... Best of luck with it.

Mark.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	086_86_00.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	23863  
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 05:34   #3
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
The L16's have these ridges on top which is great to stabilize the upper part and hold them down. The photo below (click it for more) shows how I used 3 pieces of 3/8" thick starboard bolted together with the middle one offset so that it fits snugly over these ridges.

The bottom needs a separate construction. We have used thin walled PVC pipes that just don't fit between batteries and box/wall. You can force them down for a tight fit while keeping clearance around the batteries for ventilation.

The lifeline batteries are not as high I think. First thing is to stabilize the bottom so that they can't slide. To hold them down, use heavy padeyes like for use on deck. I would use spectra to tie them down so that it doesn't stretch and loosen.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 07:40   #4

Boat: Taswell 49
I have seen folks use FRP "U" Channel to secure batteries. This stuff:

McMaster-Carr

You can often either cut a slot for it to slide into and secure with a pin or throughbolt cleats made from FRP or G-10 at the ends. Nice thing about using this stuff is it is non conductive! Also it is not affected by battery acid.
Find the right sixe that will fit across the tops of your batteries and cut to the length of the box.
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery