Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 19:15   #1

Boat: a sailing boat
Rutland 914i Windgen: New Kid on the Block

http://seatronic.no/pdf/Ruthland/914...0Datasheet.pdf

Looks like Rutland 913 windgen has been updated with MPPT technology, etc..

Wondering why they claim MPPT at the turbine while as far as I can remember the regulation used to be at the regulator (a separate buy) with earlier models.

barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 19:19   #2

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Re: Rutland 914i windgen - a new kid on the block

They include the controller with the gen, (or did when I was looking into them a couple years ago) probably switched to an MPPT controller.

I spoke with several owners, and can attest the greatest positive is that they are QUIET. Most folks are happy with the lack of noise, but they do not seem to put out like some of the more noisy units do.

Sure seem to be well made....

(Comments refer to research on the the 913, look forward to hearing more about the 914...)
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 13:38   #3

Boat: Hanse 445 - 2012
Send a message via Skype™ to James Baines

I installed a 914i on my Jeanneau 40 last weekend. There are more powerful units out there but they are either more expensive, too large vane diameter, too noisy, or less well made, or not available or not serviced here in the UK. I was offered a very good deal and I installed it along with the Rutland HRDi digital controller and mounting pole and stays kit.
Apart from taking the boat apart to find an “Invisible” cable route, the installation was very simple even though I was working by myself. The instructions are very clear, everything went together as it should, I tied the vanes to the mounting pole when I assembled the upper section to the lower section to avoid scalping myself, and went below to re-check the wiring for about the tenth time.
Finally, I untied the vane and let her spin up in fairly low wind conditions and with some trepidation, went below to see what was happening. There was no smoke pouring out which is always a good thing and lo and behold, the charge controller confirmed that I was putting a charge into both battery banks even with a low wind speed of around 8 Knots.
My rough calculations suggest that I won’t need to fire up the engine anymore when I’m under sail and, that I won’t need to hook up to shore power at the pontoon unless I’m making heavy use of the 1000W inverter I installed at the same time.
Initial impressions are that this thing is QUIET!!! And having put a ¼” rubber gasket between the hull and the mounting brackets, there is NO vibration which is a problem on some units. The power output seems to be as claimed and although I cannot claim to have tested it properly, I’m very happy with what I see so far.
James
James Baines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 14:51   #4

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

i've had a 913 for years, and my only objection was that it really didn't produce much power in wind speeds below about 16kts. All of my neighbors love it, as it is so quiet.

I am excited to hear of the 914i. Anyone want to buy a 913 in good shape?
Old 03-04-2011, 02:00   #5

I'm about to install a 914i and ave looked at the data sheets.
It looks like the 914i is capable of producing 18amp's(216Watt@12V) at 15 m/s while the recommended regulator HRSi has a max input of 160Watt(~13.5 Amp's @12V). Something is not right here, either I'm missing something from the docs or there is incorrect documentation.
oddmundfjordbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:10   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, oddmundfjordbak.

The 160 Watt max. input represents Solar PVs, in addition to the Windcharger.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:27   #7

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I can't speak to your specific question, but I used to have one of the old Rutlands and it worked well and had a very long life, and was reasonably quiet, so they seem to put out great products. However, the documentation that came with the unit was not good and included incorrect and/or incomplete directions on how to install the controllers. I can't recall the exact problem as it was many years ago, but I had to ignore the instructions and do it the right way.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:34   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddmundfjordbak View Post
It looks like the 914i is capable of producing 18amp's(216Watt@12V) at 15 m/s while the recommended regulator HRSi has a max input of 160Watt(~13.5 Amp's @12V). Something is not right here, either I'm missing something from the docs or there is incorrect documentation.
When you install it, consider putting a 1/4" thick rubber gasket between the mounting brackets and the hull. Although these things are totally silent top side, vibration transmitted via the hull is magnified to a very high and unacceptable level down below. Also, if you are going to use their "Stays" kit, again to dampen vibration, consider using a loose link to connect the stay to the rail bracket rather than the screw provided, I did both those things and the unit is now totally silent topside and below.
James
Old 03-04-2011, 11:39   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddmundfjordbak View Post
Also, if you hook the controller up to two battery banks, be sure to hook up the second circuit (Probably the engine circuit) BEFORE you hook up the primary circuit. The controller will not recognise the second circuit if you install it after the primary one. If it does go pear shaped, don't worry, just remove the fuse from the primary circuit, replace it, and the unit will re-boot itself and recognise both battery banks.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:31   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

James, were did you buy the 914 from?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:25   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
James, were did you buy the 914 from?

Pete
Hi Pete, I got mine from KM Electronics (Part of Yachtbits) A: because they quoted me the best deal and B: because they are in Lowestoft and the sales manager Kevin offered to deliver all the kit to my boat on his way home.
If I were you, I would Not use the Rutland side stays because they transmit even minor vibrations thru the rails and can make a heck of a noise down below. I solved the problem by using a "Loose" S.S ring to connect the stays to the rails but I think cable or even safety strap webbing is probably a lower noise (And lower cost) option. Ours is now totally quiet but it took a fair amount of experimenting with the side stays to eliminate the vibration.
You can contact Kevin at: sales@kmelectronics.co.uk.
If I can be of any help, please let me know. James
Old 05-04-2011, 03:34   #12

Or, Kevin can be reached by Telephone at 01502 569079. James
Old 05-04-2011, 05:11   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

James, many thanks, now to decide

Rocna / new genoa / Windy thing / Solar, or all of them.

My only concern is that if I die, my wife will sell all the toys for what I said I paid for them

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:31   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
James, many thanks, now to decide

Rocna / new genoa / Windy thing / Solar, or all of them.

My only concern is that if I die, my wife will sell all the toys for what I said I paid for them

Pete
If you send me an email address, I'll send you all the pricing information. James
Old 24-03-2012, 10:11   #15

Boat: Schucker 436 motorsailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
They include the controller with the gen, (or did when I was looking into them a couple years ago) probably switched to an MPPT controller.

I spoke with several owners, and can attest the greatest positive is that they are QUIET. Most folks are happy with the lack of noise, but they do not seem to put out like some of the more noisy units do.

Sure seem to be well made....

(Comments refer to research on the the 913, look forward to hearing more about the 914...)
So is it possible to just add a mppt controller to an existing unregulated wind generator like an Ampair 100 say?
sailalibi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rutland