Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2014, 07:08   #1

Boat: Dufour 2800
Rutland 913 Wind turbine and refrigeration

Dear members,

Me and my mrs. are thinking of getting a Rutland 913 wind turbine as we dont like the idea anymore to have to run the engine for electricity.

Are there any users out there who are currently operating a Rutland 913 and if so what are they powering with it, in terms of refrigerator for example?

Best regards

Reynir
Reynir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:48   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Rutland 913 Wind turbine and refrigeration

I think you'll find most have sort of given up on wind as a reliable source of electricity and have gone to solar instead.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:43   #3

Boat: Scanmar 40

I have just bought a Rutland 914, one of the new generation from Rutland. I have combined this with 2x 100 watt solar panels to run the fridge, autopilot, watermaker and domestics, not necessarily all at the same time. I do not have any data for you yet but am assured by Kevin, owner of yachtbits.com, a UK company and the supplier/installer that this will cover all my needs. I would try and get one of the later models as they are much more efficient now at lower wind speeds while not needing to be strapped down in gales.
AndytheSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 13:13   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Here's some good reading material on the Rutland and some other brands of Wind Gens. If a wind gen makes sense is REALLY dependent on the question of are you going to cruise in an area of consistent wind? There is nothing more frustrating to look up at my KISS wind gen and seeing it doing nothing! But there are few things better than waking up in the morning after a night of wind to batteries in the float mode. I tell folks to put on every bit of solar you can afford and have room for...then if there is any cruising dollars left go with a wind generator.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...it-129656.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ock-56147.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...4-a-72259.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ld-121578.html

The problem that Rutland has is that sure it is quiet...but it's also a pretty low output unit, so for your dollar I would go with one of the higher output units to make the most out of the installation effort and dollars.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:55   #5

Boat: Camper & Nicholson 48' Ketch

We have cruised full time for 16 years with an Air-X wind generator. While we were in the Caribbean it served all of our electrical needs including our 120 volt Grunert refrigeration system. In the South Pacific we found that the wind was too unpredictable and the addition of two 120 watt solar panels filled the gap.
serannity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 19:59   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 365 Dean Catamaran

It seem we are all in agreement that primarily solar panels is more effective for keeping the electrical need supplied and if one have a enough space onboard to cover as much as possible with solar panels as i have done. I happen have a brand new Rutland 913 which i plan to fit purely as a standby generator,if all else fail and the wind blows i guess i will have more juice!
niel12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 20:30   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Here is some first hand experience with a Rutland.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...put-83777.html
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 05:58   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, serannity.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 17:46   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

Depending on the fridge. Rutland's output is sometimes claimed (by owners) as less than specified.

If I were to act on what I heard from Rutland's owners, I would opt for a more powerful windmill. E.g. a D400.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 03:43   #10

I was looking at the d400, it looks good and the outputis rated much greater than that of the rutland. It is however three times more expensive. The fridge unit is only rated at approximately 1.5 - 2 amps. I have three 40 amp hrs batteries 12 volts and we are three days at most without shore power.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:43   #11

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynir View Post
I was looking at the d400, it looks good and the outputis rated much greater than that of the rutland. It is however three times more expensive. The fridge unit is only rated at approximately 1.5 - 2 amps. I have three 40 amp hrs batteries 12 volts and we are three days at most without shore power.
You must derate the output for avg wind speed and expected number of wind hours per average day. Remember we tend to overoptimisize our production capacity and underestimate our loads. Similar rules for solar, alternators and the rest of the kit.

I did not know price was the ruling factor. I thought you wanted high output.

To me, the price is no problem, weight is. Just how it varies from one boat to another.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:40   #12

Boat: Camper & Nicholson 48' Ketch

I just received a post on my email that stated the boat would only be away from the dock a maximum of three days. We cruised the Bahamas for two years on a 30' sailboat with an ICEBOX!! We bought ice when we had company on board. There are any number of options to supply 3 days of refrigeration that don't involve the expense and installation required for a wind system.

The battery bank quoted would be totally inadequate for any substantial energy needs.
serannity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:21   #13

You are right, we will be cruising for three months but usually stopping in harbours or anchoring for few days at most. So we guess that we wont be needing refrigeration and a wind turbine. We will however be living on our boat when arriving at our destination, so I guess we will figure something out then with regards to refrigeration.

Anyway, Thank you all for discussing this, this was extremely helpful!

Old 08-03-2015, 08:59   #14

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Depending on the fridge. Rutland's output is sometimes claimed (by owners) as less than specified.

If I were to act on what I heard from Rutland's owners, I would opt for a more powerful windmill. E.g. a D400.

b.
My Rutland 913 only put out 9 amps in 35 knots. I would not buy another. Maybe the 914 is better.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:03   #15
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynir View Post
So we guess that we wont be needing refrigeration and a wind turbine. We will however be living on our boat when arriving at our destination, so I guess we will figure something out then with regards to refrigeration.

Anyway, Thank you all for discussing this, this was extremely helpful!

Living aboard without Refrigeration........I know it "Can" be done but man is that tent camping roughing it....

See the thread about why cruising and live aboard couples quit and a lot of it has to do with being comfortable.

There is a saying:

"Ice and cold food is the only mark of civilization...everything else is just show"

I've carried down to Mexico Engel units for cruisers that thought they could make it without refrigeration...it a lot harder than you think and personally I would do what it took power wise to make some type of refrigeration happen. Even a simple 12v portable plug in until you figure out what you want/need.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigeration, rutland, wind