Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-10-2016, 04:51   #16

Boat: Hunter 340
Send a message via AIM to bgallinger
Re: Rutland 1200 wind gen

I thought the D400 was the GOLD standard of wind generators. I have a Silent Wind generator which does perform ok, but it does have an associated "growl" noise. I'm envious of the guy two slips away who has the D400 on his boat as it runs very quietly.

Old 09-10-2016, 07:17   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 450

I was after a1200 until I learned Rutland haven't a charger yet configured for
LiFePO4.

Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:15   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: [S]Hamble (Spring and Fall)[/S], Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Not a 1200, but I had a Rutland 914i for a couple of years. It produced no - zero - usable power despite using in very windy latitudes. It would not even keep up with self discharge rate of my battery bank. Sold it on eBay.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 09-10-2016, 13:18   #19

Boat: Oyster 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Sea View Post
I was after a1200 until I learned Rutland haven't a charger yet configured for
LiFePO4.
I spent quite a bit with tech support on this exact issue. They were helpful but advised to wait until they have a perfect charge profile worked out. I strongly suggested they sort out a way for the consumer to set up they own charge parameters like most other controllers.
Time will tell.
For now they are off my list with silent wind now at the top.
Gary.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:59   #20

Boat: Wildcat 35

So we had a ton of work to do on the boat, and mounting the wind was low on the list. We were finally getting close to ready in September and had Hurricane Hermine come through, so we waited. Then we spun a bearing on one of our engines. Then we had Hurricane Matthew.
Finally got the mast down and the wind mounted, only to have 20+ knot winds come steady for days. So, it is now up and running! It's mounted on the top of a 5 meter (16 foot) pole, along with a radar.
1 hour update: It is quiet. I mean, really quiet. There is no vibration at all. There is a slight hum coming from it, but it's not loud. It sounds like a small electric motor running. You can only hear this if you are less than a meter from the pole, or in the room directly below the mounting point. We don't think it's going to be annoying in the room below, but time will tell.
I'll post another update in a few days.
In the mean time, you'll be able to see some photos of it on our website at Home.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:29   #21

Boat: Wildcat 35

Update/correction. You can NOT hear the hum outside unless you put your ear to the mast or on the deck. You can hear it a little in the cabin directly below the mast but is not as loud as the fans on the PS4 in that room.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:45   #22

Boat: Wauquiez 43 PS

Hi Dave
that sounds very promising. CinC Home is worried about noise as our cabin is almost but not directly below the mounting point, which also happens to be on an arch. So if it is as quiet as yours seems to be, I reckon the noise will be dispersed through the arch; hopefully it will not be attenuated! From your home page it also seems to generate a good amount of power, so all round it looks like an excellent proposition. Thanks also for the tip on the wifi booster.
Old 12-10-2016, 18:45   #23

Boat: Dix 38 pilothouse

Interesting.

I bought a 1200 after a long debating buying a 1200 or a silent wind. The price was about the same. It is sitting in Langkawi waiting for me to pick it up .

I picked the 1200 for a couple of reasons.

1) a vendor with a good reputation who sells both when asked what he would put on his boat said the 1200

2) the charts appear that the 1200 produces a bit more power , earlier.

3) claims to be a little quieter

4) I liked the controller and the option for the remote head instead of having to use a smart phone or tablet to with the SW

5) replacement blades are a much cheaper for the 1200 and you can buy 1 instead of a set.

I am heading to high latt/ windy places so buying a new wind gen made sense. . Ill post comments once i have it up and running

LD
Old 19-11-2016, 23:53   #24

Boat: 2005 bavaria 42 cruiser

Any news or more input regarding the 1200?

I am in the market for a windgen myself.

Best regards
Steini-nor

Tags
rutland, wind

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: