Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2017, 06:53   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Running Air Cond off Inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb2 View Post
What's the charging current? You said plug the inverter into the Honda, I assumed that meant the 8 amp DC output. If you're running the Honda 120v to a battery charger that should work better. Depending on the duty cycle the a/c compressor is running, you're probaby looking at at least a 40 amp charger.
He proposed using a charger, not (obviously) the wimpy DC output.

But this would work best of all with an inverter/charger which passes through the AC output of the generator to the loads, without converting back and forth to DC. These devices will also supplement the generator power with inverted power from the batteries to handle the startup loads. So you have full AC output of the generator plus full AC output of the inverter combined. This will deal with quite huge startup loads, and is the elegant solution to the OP's problem.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 07:03   #17

Boat: Beneteau 36cc - Pura Vida

Quote:
What's the charging current? You said plug the inverter into the Honda, I assumed that meant the 8 amp DC output. If you're running the Honda 120v to a battery charger that should work better. Depending on the duty cycle the a/c compressor is running, you're probaby looking at at least a 40 amp charger.
Sorry, I didn't mean the DC output. Yes, the charger 120v would charge the batteries which runs the A/C through the inverter.

Question: how do you run the A/C off the inverter (to support surge) and generator simultaneously as mentioned above?
galynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 07:04   #18
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Victron kombi style inverter/charger, called the "power boost" feature

Magnum, MasterVolt may also do it.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 07:08   #19

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
He proposed using a charger, not (obviously) the wimpy DC output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galynd View Post

...and plug the Air Conditioner directly into the inverter then plug the inverter directly into the honda 2000...
I agree, using the DC output on the Honda doesn't make a ton of sense.

Edit: Nevermind, I missed the OP's post that clears this up
wyb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 07:16   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by galynd View Post
. . . Question: how do you run the A/C off the inverter (to support surge) and generator simultaneously as mentioned above?
It's called "Power Boost", and you get it on Mastervolt, Victron, and some other kinds of charger/inverters.

The generator AC output is connected to the charger/inverter. Then all AC loads are connected to the charger/inverter. In normal condition, generator output is simply passed through to the AC loads. But if the AC loads exceed the generator capacity, then the inverter switches on and supplements the generator power with inverted power from the batteries.

Obviously this doesn't solve the problem if the sustained AC loads are greater than the generator capacity -- you will run the batteries down. But for short term peak loads -- not just electric motor startup loads, but also things like running a kettle or microwave for a couple of minutes -- it's brilliant. It's called "peak shaving" in the power industry, and it allows you to use limited generating capacity more efficiently.

On a bigger boat, it allows you to use a smaller diesel generator and run it more efficiently. For the OP, it would deal perfectly with the problem of starting his A/C.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 20-12-2017, 08:45   #21

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Some quick math. What does the A/C draw on 120V - say 12 amps. So the inverter will need at least 120 amps at 12V. Ignoring all the startup issues, are the batteries up to supplying 120+ amps for long periods of time?
You nailed it. I don't understand the connect the Honda to the batteries? As I understand it the DC output of a 2000 is not that great although it is a hell of a little AC source with a good start up surge ability. If one Honda won't carry the load add a second. Long periods of air conditioning from batteries seems foolish.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 09:11   #22

OK this may sound stupid...

I have tried starting a 10k btu air con off my mastervolt 2.2 kw inverter with 8 T125 batteries and it was not happy. Tried the same thing using a massive 250ah engine starting battery and the A/C started easily.

The moral of the story is that the surge capacity of your batteries may also be very important.

Ross
yachtgemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 10:26   #23

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop

I have a 18K BTU Ocean Breeze water cooled a/c.
This year, I installed a Micro-Air Easy Start 364 ($300ish) in front of my A/C
Then hooked up my Honda 2000 to the ships A/C Dock Cord
Works GREAT!

My A/C is 17 years old so I"m sure the compressor is drawing a bit
more than normal at start up - but hey - it still works!

Have fun!
Jhowell5558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 10:44   #24

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41

Good thread but missing something. An AC has 2 start loads that are each double the running loads in general. !) fan motor start load is 2x running load, 2) compressor start is 2x running load. If you start your ac in fan only, let the running load settle down and then engage the compressor you can avoid the simultaneous start loads. My small 7k ac would run on a Honda 1000 this way. Your start load on your water pump could complicate things. Avoid everything coming on at once.
dakno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 10:44   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtgemini View Post
OK this may sound stupid...

I have tried starting a 10k btu air con off my mastervolt 2.2 kw inverter with 8 T125 batteries and it was not happy. Tried the same thing using a massive 250ah engine starting battery and the A/C started easily.

The moral of the story is that the surge capacity of your batteries may also be very important.

Ross
Why stupid?

Did you have AC power supplied to the inverter when you did this? Or, if your Mastervolt is not an inverter/charger, did you have power on the battery charger at least?
Walt Whitman
Old 20-12-2017, 10:46   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
You nailed it. I don't understand the connect the Honda to the batteries? As I understand it the DC output of a 2000 is not that great although it is a hell of a little AC source with a good start up surge ability. If one Honda won't carry the load add a second. Long periods of air conditioning from batteries seems foolish.
See the post just before yours, which explains where the batteries come into it.

No need to have two Honda generators just to supply a load which lasts less than a second. One of them will easily run the A/C once it's started.
Walt Whitman
Old 20-12-2017, 11:19   #27

why stupid to try a 250ah battery?

simple... with no generator/dock support it was not going to run for more than a few minutes. It was simply to check that the AC units would start.

I later tried and successfully used the inverter in power support mode with the 6 amp 220-volt dock supply to help the start and run the AC for a while.

My point is that the startup surge is a significant multiple of run current and that by accident I found the starting battery even though significantly smaller than the house bank had the surge (cranking amps) to start the AC.

My situation is probably analogous to using the 2kw Honda (actually 1300w from dock) and illustrates it can be done.
yachtgemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 12:54   #28

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
See the post just before yours, which explains where the batteries come into it.

No need to have two Honda generators just to supply a load which lasts less than a second. One of them will easily run the A/C once it's started.
I did after the fact. The inverter is only supplying the start up surge in effect.

If I'm reading correctly?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 14:04   #29

Yes the smart start works amazing. My 16k btu starts at 11 amps and runs on 11. The aft 8k btu with no smart start starts at 36 and runs at 11. This is what my anolog amp meter reads. My gen is a northern lights 6kw 50 amps.
Hope this helps some
Mango51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 14:21   #30

Boat: Cape Dory 27D

A capacitor bank wired into the input circuit of the inverter could possibly supply the extra kick needed to start the compressor. If wired in parallel with the input, it will charge to the capacity of the capacitor and add to the current when the draw is more than the genset provides. The capacitors will recharge as current is available for the next call for an extra surge. This will work for DC - check You Tube, some mechanics have used a capacitor bank as a replacement for a conventional lead acid battery.
MCOS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter