Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2019, 10:50   #16

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: Round stranded wire for mast wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
This is a good point, and because of the exit points I have one duplex for the spreaders and steaming and one triplex for the mast head. If you need more power then you customize the way you did. As for the gauge, it may be important if you have incandescent lights, but since I am converting to LEDs, 14 AWG is more than sufficient. I also have the coax - LMR 400uf.
Agreed. I went all LED but sized the negative lead for the case where ALL the devices would be on at the same time. Masthead, tricolour, steaming, deck light. went with 14awg for most but 12awg for the negative. AND I incorporated a piece of 5/32 line into the harness to support the wire the full length. I've also got a length of cat6 cable and RG-213 (for WiFi and VHF) in the same conduit. I built the harness because I could customize it and it was less expensive than using a length of duplex and a length of triplex cable.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 13:46   #17
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttex View Post
Extension cords are round. Cut the ends off and do whatever you want. The gauge is labeled on the package.
Extension cord cable will be cited on a survey. To meet marine electrical standards, it has to be type 3 stranded, insulation rated for 105C and impervious to petroleum products. Yer average resi extension cord is good for about 4 years in the sun before the jacket is cracking and falling off. No business on a boat.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 15:16   #18

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Yep, the standard black rubber jacket found in the US is very short-lived - you need a PVC jacket or something of similar longevity. Also in the US the round cable is typically made round by two (or three for triplex) paper or fabric strands filling out the hollows, which is also a really bad idea. In Europe round cable contains the insulated conductive wire in the extruded round jacket which is solid clear through, and is not rubber but long-lasting flexible plastic - an excellent choice for passing through deck glands. But again, although the run-of-the-mill round cable in Europe is far superior to the common US design in insulation it rarely if ever is marine grade wire. So just buy marine grade wire or cables and live with the fact it isn't round.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:23   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

“Marine” wire wire is fine stranded copper (Type III stranding), with each strand completely tin plated so tinned copper, and is UL listed as UL1426, with a 105C rating (BC-5W2).
https://www.pacergroup.net/
Marine Grade Wire, AWG Tinned Copper Boat Cables Made in USA Genuinedealz.com

UL1426 & BC-5W2 ➥ http://www.boat-cable.com/approvals.htm

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:25   #20

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

For me, it was least expensive to use a source that specializes in 12v wiring and accessories to buy marine grade wiring.

https://www.waytekwire.com/

Even after having to buy the extra feet to meet their minimum order, and then having it mailed to me...it was still less expensive than buying just enough online or from a marine supplier. I also got some crimps that allow a thinner gauged wire from a LED light to be crimped to a larger sized wire to make the run back to the electrical panel.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:44   #21

This is another great site for marine electrical. I order all my stuff there.

https://www.genuinedealz.com/
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:46   #22

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttex View Post
Extension cords are round. Cut the ends off and do whatever you want. The gauge is labeled on the package.
Ahhh, memories!
Reminds me of the days I'd find, solid wire for all electrical connecctions.
Brings a tear to my eye.
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:41   #23

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
For me, it was least expensive to use a source that specializes in 12v wiring and accessories to buy marine grade wiring.

https://www.waytekwire.com/

Even after having to buy the extra feet to meet their minimum order, and then having it mailed to me...it was still less expensive than buying just enough online or from a marine supplier. I also got some crimps that allow a thinner gauged wire from a LED light to be crimped to a larger sized wire to make the run back to the electrical panel.
I respectably disagree, because I tried that route. As example from your link, I would have to buy 500 feet and pay $190 for the 14/2 and 14/3.
I only need 50 feet of each.
At Greg's I paid $54 for both: 50ft of 4/2 and 50ft of 14/3.

Its cheaper by the foot, and so much leftover and no use for all of that wire.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 13:39   #24
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
I respectably disagree, because I tried that route. As example from your link, I would have to buy 500 feet and pay $190 for the 14/2 and 14/3.
I only need 50 feet of each.
At Greg's I paid $54 for both: 50ft of 4/2 and 50ft of 14/3.

Its cheaper by the foot, and so much leftover and no use for all of that wire.
I think the point is there can be economy $/ft by purchasing a spool vs specific length, and its worth checking out. Some retailers will have a lower price on a 100 ft spool than if 50 ft was purchased by the foot (and then the boater has some left over for the next project or to give to a friend and be a hero nice guy. ;-)
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, wiring