Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2011, 03:44   #1

Boat: 38' Buehler composite-wood cutter
Rolls Battery Service

I have a Rolls 325 ah battery with a cell I can't get SG above 1.1 with charging and then equalization (with solar panels at 16+v at 5+amps). I've emailed Rolls over a week ago and a local marine store (on Vancouver Island) has called (message machine) to check on replacing a single cell (that is one of their sales pitches). No answers anywhere. email or phone. Rolls has a service ticket system on their site and it even tracks and tells me how many days it has been since submitting a question. I can imagine being somewhere remote and having this kind of service. Right now I'm thinking golf cart battery systems are a lot more sensible for voyaging. Available everywhere and less expensive. Dependency on fiddly systems isn't very resilient.

Donal
donal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 04:50   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Rolls Service (?)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Donal.

Wouldn’t “slow” service be better than none?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 15:51   #3

Boat: 38' Buehler composite-wood cutter
Re: Rolls Battery Service

Gord,

I appreciate your sentiments. But service is part of what you buy. I just got off the phone with another battery supplier who has listed Rolls on their web site. But they have stopped selling them because of the endless delays, days and days, I was told, just to get a call back. Obviously Rolls make a great battery, but also obviously they have some management troubles. I did get some help on what to do that might bring the batt back, so that's next. Otherwise, I won't be buying Rolls again, sadly.

donal
donal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 14:56   #4

Re: Rolls Battery Service

I had similar experience. It took about 3 months to get a bad cell diagnosed to their satisfaction and replaced.

I think cheap, available, replicable batteries are the better way to go.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, rolls