Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-10-2014, 19:11   #46

Boat: Voyage Maxim 380
Re: Reverse Polarity

I have a Honda Eu2000i with a Magnum Inverter/charger. I use it mainly to run my watermaker but also to charge batteries if necessary when my wind generator and solar panels cannot generate sufficently. I run it through a normal 3 pin plug into my 30 amp outlet. My Honda is only 15 months old and is not exposed to weather, plus I regularly change oil so look after it well. I was running it to charge batteries when I got a reverse polarity light on my panel. Within a minute the generator stopped. Will not start. I had a mechanic have a look at it here in St. Lucia and he reckons the board has gone. He reckons he has 10 of these units with the same problem, though I can't verify it. It will now cost me a fortune to ship it back to the US as a warranty repair. I have to ship it back to the US because it was bought in the US. Suffice it to say I am not happy.
Before I ship it, anyone have any suggestions?

Old 11-10-2014, 19:26   #47
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'd suggest contacting Honda, explaining the expense and scheduling problems for a yacht in transit out of the country, and see what they can do. They may be able to do some troubleshooting with you and work from there. If it is something that can be readily confirmed, like a blown diode (which could account for reverse polarity, although I don't know if those units are smart enough to shut down from that) they may be able to send you another diode frame or electronics board, which would be much more practical to ship. In fact, a board like that might cost them less than returning the entire repaired unit to you--making it good financial sense for them too.

A really outstanding vendor can do something like that, and sometimes even advance ship the parts to you (secured by a credit card) or at least ship them simultaneously with your return.

You never know. It depends on whether you can give them some ideas that will save them money, and give them good PR.

But it always pays to enquire, and preferably call.

Old 11-10-2014, 19:38   #48

Honda EU3000i Handi - SailboatOwners.com
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 20:06   #49

I rang Honda and the first person was useless - told me I had to return it to US, then gave me the number to a so called service agent, which was actually a seller and not a service agent. Now as a cruiser, using Digicell to call the US costs a fortune so I resorted to Skype. The reseller then gave me a service agent who then told me that since I was not in the US I had no warranty and that the warranty was only one year. When I rang back to Honda I did get a nice person who confirmed the 3 year warranty but that I would have to ship it back to the US. I had registered my serial number on line with my mailing address as the mail service from St. Brandon's Isle which I explained was just a mailing service. Quote so far is nearly $150 to ship back - that's assuming I ensure there is no fuel or oil in the generator. I asked if there was a local (Caribbean) agent but was told that since I bought it through the US it had to be in the US for service. I told thwm that the local guy (who everyone here has recommended) said it was the board but their service people were not interested in this - nope unit has to come back and they would not ship any parts
Old 11-10-2014, 20:44   #50

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

I don't have one, nor have ever taken on apart, but if they repair guy says he has 10 of them with bad boards, what does he do to fix them with bad boards?
Can you purchase just the control boards?
Old 12-10-2014, 05:37   #51

These units carry 3 year warranty. What if I buy a board and then find it is something else. I would void the warranty and not know if that was the only problem until I installed the board. If the technicians at Honda would talk to my repair guy and not void the warranty maybe. Honda has a good reputation, however for cruisers out there who buy a unit in the US and head outside of the US or Puerto Rico are they aware they cannot get the unit repaired by other service agents? I am disappointed in this.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:13   #52
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I believe the short version boils down to "That s^cks."

AFAIK Honda does what so many other global brands do, they leave a lot up to each geographic "franchise", so a product made by Honda(Japan) and sold to Honda-US is priced by Honda-US, warranteed by Honda-US, and the costs of shipping to the US, marketing by Honda-US, etc. all reflected in the unit. So it isn't a "Honda" generator really, it is a "Honda-US" generator. (See above.)

I doubt Honda(Japan) would be of any help, but they'd be the last recourse on this. Perhaps if they were reminded of how popular the gensets are--despite their price--among cruisers, and how this type of an issue makes disposable Chinese gensets a much more attractive option.

How does the local repairman repair them? Cheaper than shipping and fussing?
Old 12-10-2014, 12:28   #53

The local guy said if I order the parts he will fix it, but he doesn't seemed over optimistic about just the board. Saying he has 10 like that on his shop floor doesn't instil a lot of confidence. If I do order a new board and then it is something else, I would have voided my future warranty as well as have to order more parts. He reckons it is about $400 for the board. Yes you are right - it sucks.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:31   #54

Yep, not good options. But ask the repairman with 10 dead control board units if you buy a new control board and it isn't the problem, won't he buy it from you to fix one of his ten? As I've not had one apart, what else could it be? I don't think there is much else to them, maybe some diodes so the board only gets DC input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevcory View Post
These units carry 3 year warranty. What if I buy a board and then find it is something else. I would void the warranty and not know if that was the only problem until I installed the board. If the technicians at Honda would talk to my repair guy and not void the warranty maybe. Honda has a good reputation, however for cruisers out there who buy a unit in the US and head outside of the US or Puerto Rico are they aware they cannot get the unit repaired by other service agents? I am disappointed in this.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:37   #55

$400 for the board? sheesh, no surprise though. Sell it to someone else heading back to the usa who can get it replaced under warranty without the shipping cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevcory View Post
The local guy said if I order the parts he will fix it, but he doesn't seemed over optimistic about just the board. Saying he has 10 like that on his shop floor doesn't instil a lot of confidence. If I do order a new board and then it is something else, I would have voided my future warranty as well as have to order more parts. He reckons it is about $400 for the board. Yes you are right - it sucks.
Old 12-10-2014, 13:03   #56
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Or sailing up to Puerto Rico and mailing it back via parcel post. Any chance you're heading into USPS territory in the near future? And can afford to ignore the genset until then? Not that parcel post (I forget, there's some fancy new name for it these days) is dirt cheap but it has to be cheaper than $400.

Unless you can find a real technician, not just a board-swapper. Odds are there's a single bad part, that can be replaced for way less. (I know, that's just not politically correct these days.(G)

Speaking of Puerto Rico...Honda's warranty says:
"To Obtain Warranty Service:
You must, at your expense, take the Honda Power Equipment product, accessory, replacement part, apparel, or the power equipment on which the accessory or replacement part is installed, and proof of purchase to any Honda Power Equipment dealer in the United States, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands who is authorized to sell and/or service that product, "
So you could, in fact, take a "road trip" and just drop it off in the USVI or PR! It does not have to go back to Georgia.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: