Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-01-2007, 16:39   #31
cruiser

Yes, and the lower priced your genset is, the more likely that it is simply an alternator being rectified as Gord says. They do make some high end DC gensets these days, but they are pricey. I'm fairly sure an inexpensive Honda is the type Gord is talking about.

Old 08-01-2007, 17:05   #32
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks, Sean. Apparently the info about the Honda being dc-native was simply wrong. OTOH I saw a graph of the beautiful 110VAC sine-wave output from one...oddly noted as 12.2V on the scale. So much for the power of the internet, pun allowed.

It's a shame folks put out used computers and furniture in my neighborhood, but no lawnmowers. No handy source for small B&S engines.<G>

Old 08-01-2007, 20:22   #33

Boat: Roughwater 33 "Dawn"
Hi All. I am a newbie on this forum but I have monitored it for years. I do have some experience on this topic though. As previously noted the Honda 2000 ground is isolated from neutral. This has to do with when it's used as a house (residential)supply. When used as a shorepower sustitute (which has the wht and grn wires common on shore with a gound rod) the Heart Inv/chgr will be seeking a common ground and neutral (no voltage between wht and grn) before it will let the internal a/c transfer relays supply power to the boat. The ground (grn) is simply floating from Honda chassis to the heart input. My solution was to make up a separate shorepower cord for the Honda combining wht and grn wires and it has worked fine for 4 yrs. Sorry this is so lengthy.

Andy Andersen
Old 08-01-2007, 21:40   #34
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bravo, Andy! Thanks for the facts.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:07   #35
cruiser

Yes, Bravo! This might very well be the best opening post ever.

Based on Andy's solution, could you also bond the "white" and "green" (neutral and ground) at the genset itself and use your normal shore power cord?

My genset is bonded by default, but you could remove the bonding if you choose, since it's just a small wire attached to a bolt and clearly labeled.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:21   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"
Andy,

What you say makes sense but all the folks I know just run the things (Hondas) without bonding the white and green and it works. Is this practise dangerous? I just use a short extension cord out of the Honda and into a 15/30 amp cheater and into my shorepower receptacle. No problems so far.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 12:19   #37

Rick,
My combo is a Honda 2000 and a Heart 1000 connected with a 20 ft. cord to a 30A shoreplug.. Before the mod it would occasionally connect but not reliably. I think various combos and installations might be different. The "reverse polarity" LED would occasionally flicker while this was happening which means there was voltage between wht and grn. Perhaps it was being induced into the floating green or from the micoprocessor in the Heart I don't know. I was'nt able to trace it down but combining eliminted the problem. I'm not advising anyone to take the same approach but as you've noted the neutral and green are common at the generator on permanent inboard installations. Also Sean, you could do it at the generator(Honda) but the cord was easiest as I had the materials and I wanted to leave the Honda Stock for warranty purposes.
Andy
Old 09-01-2007, 12:34   #38

Andy,
Thank you that makes senses. I going to figure out how to make one.
Nelson
Old 09-01-2007, 12:43   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"
Can any harm be done by continuing to run the Honda and charge batteries while the reverse polarity light is on? If the answer is yes I'd better modify my extension cord. It's one of those sealed ones so I'll have to cut it and re-connect.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 13:37   #40

Rick,
I'm of the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" school. I considerded this a nuisance problem. Obviously if you were connected directly to the a/c buss and not through the inv/cgr it wouldn't be a problem as the sensing circuits would be out of the loop. I don't think there is anything more inherently safe with the mod. It's just trying to duplicate what the Heart shorepower input is looking for. There is a much greater danger when actually connected to shore power as we are all aware of when the a/c circuits are less than adequate but thats a whole other bag of worms
Andy
Old 05-08-2013, 19:11   #41

Boat: Irwin 42
Re: REVERSE POLARITY

Nelsonsmoody,

Please... I look forward to your reply also. I have no idea how old this thread is... But I am having the same reverse polarity issues with my Honda EU2000i/Heart Freedom 2000.
Today I plugged in a reverse polarity meter... I have two. One showed that I had an open ground, (which doesn't surprise me I guess after reading the above & knowing I have the ground disconnected from the starter while it's being replaced... However I do still have a negative to the engine block).
& the other tester has all three led's lite up showing "Danger".
Something else interesting... The Freedom is connected to a Blue Seas Panel. When using Shore Power, it shows 125v & up to 30 amps coming in as it should. The Honda plugged into the same shore connector shows 125v & 0 amps. The indicator on the Heart Link Control head shows <10 amps. The Honda generator should be charging at 13.3 amps from the 120 outlet. (8amps directly from the 12v charger)
Is it not showing because it's a generator ?
And what's with the screwy test indicator lights?
Old 06-08-2013, 12:44   #42

CoCoKnots,
I've been following your thread and feel your pain! Concerning the Honda EU200i/Heart inverter interface, I'm still using that combo with a mod to make neutral (wht) and ground (grn) common. The Heart shorepower input assumes it is connected to a correctly terminated ground to neutral connection at the power pole. The Honda generator is not. Since I wrote the above suggestions I now use a standard un-modified cord. Instead I made a standard U-ground plug and jumpered wht. to grn. and plug it into one of the Honda A.C. receptacles and move it from generator to generator (I have two) when I use it on the boat. As an aside I recently forgot to plug in the mod plug and the Heart would not accept A.C. so I know it works. (ten years now). Also since the neut. grnd. wires are shorted you should lose the flickering reverse/polarity light .
Andy
Old 06-08-2013, 17:57   #43

Thanks Andy,
I have no idea why that should take care of the problem... But I'll try it in the morning. So the third pole (Ground) gets jumped to the positive with a "U" wire. Now here's the dumb question... The third smaller pin is the ground... I assume I simply use a tester to determine the positive to cross it with. Should the amp meter show amps coming registering also ? It was only working when plugged into shore power before.
Old 06-08-2013, 19:57   #44

Re: Reverse Polarity

CoCoKnots,
I don't think you are following me, sorry. All we are doing is making the white neutral wire common with the green wire. I did this by using a standard 15A U- grounded plug and connected a wire from the white blade on the connector to the U-ground (pin is U-shaped) and leaving the black positive blade empty. Do NOT connect anything into the black positive pin! This is a simple fix but I may not be explaining it well enough if you're not familiar with A.C. wiring. Don't be afraid to seek pro help!
Andy
Old 07-08-2013, 08:18   #45

Re: Reverse Polarity

Good Morning Andy,
Sorry,
I understand... You're correct. When you were saying white... my mind heard positive. 12v vs 120.
Thanks for catching that.
Cal

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: