Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2016, 05:07   #1

Boat: Hunter 44DS
Replacing my Trojan batteries with AGM

I had my bank of 6 Trojan T145+ 230Ah batteries checked today and they are almost on their last legs, so I am looking at replacing them with AGM batteries. I have been shopping around & have come across SSB Batteries and would like to know if anyone has any experience with them. I am looking at the HBT6234 (234Ah) they come with a three year warrantyClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1459771616.903724.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	121993

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Akapeterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:39   #2

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44
Re: Replacing my Trojan batteries with AGM

Combo deep cycle/starting AGM batteries are often not very deep cycle compared to others, a very few others. Go to Marinehowto.com (by Maine Sail on the forum) and go to his article on "What is a "deep cycle" marine battery". He gives a good discussion of this.

I don't have any experience with the SSB batteries you asked about. I have not seen them discussed here or other places. Unfortunately, there aren't too many true "deep cycle" batteries out on the market.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:49   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I feel it unlikely that the "SSB" is anything but a label. What you need to do if possible is find out who made the battery.
I think Batteries seem to be like gasoline, few manufacturers, but many who sell under their label.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:25   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

3 year warranty, how NON reassuring
Old 05-04-2016, 09:58   #5

Boat: PDQ 44i

AGM batteries accept charge much faster than lead acid batteries. BUT you need to reprogram all charging sources: charger, solar, alternator to charge at lower voltsge or you will quickly ruin your new AGM's. This may mean buying a new alternator with external voltage regulator, new solar charge controller, etc.
doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewide View Post
AGM batteries accept charge much faster than lead acid batteries. BUT you need to reprogram all charging sources: charger, solar, alternator to charge at lower voltsge or you will quickly ruin your new AGM's. This may mean buying a new alternator with external voltage regulator, new solar charge controller, etc.
This is very important to understand. You may well be wise to consider staying with Trojans or the like. AGMs have their downsides. a64 has written very well about it here, too.

AGM Battery Issues (from Maine Sail)
AGM Batteries - Making The Choice | SailboatOwners.com Forums

AGM Battery Issues and the Blue Seas Dual Circuit Switch (from Maine Sail) "DARN AGM Batteries"
Darn AGM Batteries | SailboatOwners.com Forums

Additional Observations on the Limits of AGMs Electrical Systems 101

Here's the previously mentioned link to Maine Sail's article:

What is a Deep Cycle Battery? (from Maine Sail's website)

What Is A "Deep Cycle" Battery? Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:11   #7

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewide View Post
The bulk stage of charging is much faster, the absorption stage is the same speed as FLA and Gel and constitutes at more than half of the charging time for acid batteries of any flavor.

To the OP, why do you want AGM's? To take advantage of them you will need to significantly up grade the rest of your charging system. And even then you can expect a shorter life out of them than FLAs or Gels. For a full discussion see: AGM Batteries - Making The Choice | SailboatOwners.com Forums

I'm not saying don't switch to AGM, I don't know all the particulars of your boat and how you use it.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:43   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Some people like me sort of got forced into AGM's as my box won't fit 6V golf cart batteries, and I won't go with 12V FLA, as there are very few real 12V deep cycle batteries.
I used to say none, but was corrected as apparently Rolls does make a true deep cycle 12V.
Anyway, if you do go with AGM's and your boat lives on shorepower most of it's life, I beleive you will be pleased with them, if it doesn't, then getting them full charged often is going to be tough, and if you don't, then lifespan will suffer.
My plan is a generator, if you don't have a genny, then you may want to look at getting a battery that can be equalized and equalizing on a monthly basis or as suggested by the manufacturer.
That means access to shorepower or maybe a very long generator run. I think it takes two days to properly equalize, day one to absolutely fully charge them, then float overnight to cool and day two an 8 hour equalization.
I want to be aboard and not asleep during equalization in the event I have a very unlikely thermal runaway.

I have Lifeline AGM's and I think they are a high quality battery, but they are different and have to be treated differently, if treated correctly I hope they will last a long time, cause they aren't cheap
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:54   #9

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

My AGM batteries (Lifeline 6v golf carts) lasted for 8 years, of which 5 years were cruising offshore (with some marina time). We motored more than average and kept the batteries at 100% quite often. They charged fast with my larger alternator, smart charger, solar panels with a good smart controller, and a "smart" inverter/charger. I think they are well suited for a boat which can provide sufficient charging that is regulated well for three phase charging. You did not say what your whole system is so I would not assume that you don't have a suitable total system or not. So I think the big issue with AGMs is when boat owners cannot, or will not, take them to a 100% SOC regularly and often. For those who can't or don't want to do that I would not recommend AGMs. If you can, I think they are superior to FLA. Just my opinion and my experiences. I have installed many on power boats and they do fine.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:24   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Has anybody been using the VDC BatteryMinder to desulfate their AGM batteries that can't be equalized with the traditional method?

Any positive results?
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 17:45   #11

Boat: Hunter 44DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
My AGM batteries (Lifeline 6v golf carts) lasted for 8 years, of which 5 years were cruising offshore (with some marina time). We motored more than average and kept the batteries at 100% quite often. They charged fast with my larger alternator, smart charger, solar panels with a good smart controller, and a "smart" inverter/charger. I think they are well suited for a boat which can provide sufficient charging that is regulated well for three phase charging. You did not say what your whole system is so I would not assume that you don't have a suitable total system or not. So I think the big issue with AGMs is when boat owners cannot, or will not, take them to a 100% SOC regularly and often. For those who can't or don't want to do that I would not recommend AGMs. If you can, I think they are superior to FLA. Just my opinion and my experiences. I have installed many on power boats and they do fine.
I have no problem making full charge with 3 -175 watt solar panel & 2 wind generators
Akapeterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 19:03   #12

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Some people like me sort of got forced into AGM's as my box won't fit 6V golf cart batteries, and I won't go with 12V FLA, as there are very few real 12V deep cycle batteries.
I used to say none, but was corrected as apparently Rolls does make a true deep cycle 12V.
Maybe a bit late to the party, but Trojan offers a bunch of 12V deep cycles. I recently dropped in two J185Ps, replacing 3 "deep cycle" AGMs.

Had to pick them up in So FL. They certainly aren't as common as the 6V variety. Dude said the 185s are often used in fork lifts and industrial floor scrubbers..?
laika is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
agm