Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2014, 15:17   #1

Replace light bulbs in a beneteau 321

Just bought a 1996 beneteau 321, is there an easy way to replace the light bulbs in the cabin and galley. Do the figures pop out, twist and pull? Afraid to break the thing. Can you r peace the halogen with led bulb or do you need to buy a new fixture?
gary allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 16:28   #2

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Re: Replace light bulbs in a beneteau 321

I don't own a beneteau, but I believe the fixtures you've got the lens turns anti clock to release and access the bulb......then it's a simple matter to put new bulbs in. Led or halogen doesent' matter, I like to get LED bulbs from marinebeam.com
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 16:46   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

go to Marine LED Lighting and Replacement LED bulbs for Boats, RV's - 12V, 24V and select 'find your LED bulb' It should be easy to see how its removed and to find replacements. 2-prong side or back mount LED's will replace the Halogen 12/24 VDC bulbs. We replaced 60 of these and dropped the amps to nil.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:26   #4

Thank you, I will give it a try, the problem was how to get the light fixture out of the ceiling so that I could remove the lens and access the bulb.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:03   #5

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

I have a 1997 Beneteau 382. I replaced all my ceiling recessed lights with LED bulbs (discs) you just have to make sure you get the smaller disc as the larger will not fit inside. I believe it is the G4 base. My fixture had spring on two or three sides and pulled right down. Just try to pry it down a little and see what happens.
This page has the measurements on it

http://store.marinebeam.com/g4ledbu6smdp.html
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 13:56   #6

Thank you, I managed to pry two down, one has an on/off switch on it, now I can't seem to get it back on right, I will go to the local binnacle store and see if they have one like it.
Old 04-12-2014, 16:17   #7

I found those fixtures somewhere for not too much money. I will look and see if I can find the company. look in the fixture for a name and maybe you can source it on the web. Worst case every Beneteau owner knows the name of Ward Richardson at Beneteau SC. they are great to work with and very helpful. I do remember the weird thing about the fixtures is the ones with the switches were less expensive than the ones without. Feel freee to call if you need anymore info 310 293 2354
Old 04-12-2014, 16:23   #8

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

I replaced mine with G4-9's. Had to clip a bit off the boards to make some fit. The Beneteau deckhead lights just pry out. I bought cheap ones online warm white and bright white.
Old 07-12-2014, 13:16   #9

Mark,

Thank you, I think I am progressing well. I have figured out how to access all of my cabin light bulbs, remove them and replace them with the same halogen bulb, now I think I will try the led ones you suggested, I live in Canada so will buy them from synergy marine, not as much shipping costs.
Old 07-12-2014, 15:00   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary allen View Post
Mark,

Thank you, I think I am progressing well. I have figured out how to access all of my cabin light bulbs, remove them and replace them with the same halogen bulb, now I think I will try the led ones you suggested, I live in Canada so will buy them from synergy marine, not as much shipping costs.
They don't say so but it appears that they use PWM current control, preferred method. Go to Marine Beam and read up on their educational tutorials to get a handle on LEDs and current control.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 16:28   #11

Hi Gary,

Unless you like the cafeteria look try to get the "warm white "LED's. Even those can appear a bit stark when converting from halogen but the difference in current draw is nothing short of amazing. (and you should never have to replace them) Maybe buy one warm white from a couple of vendors and see which you like best before replacing all off them. I did it that way but I was at a boat show with three different vendors selling them right there.
Old 08-12-2014, 13:31   #12

Ok, I think I am there but confused about current control, are you suggesting the LEDs from synergy marine are different from marine beam source?
Old 08-12-2014, 22:46   #13

No I was talking of the current draw between halogen and LED. The reason I was saying to try a few different manufactures is for your personal preference as to light color. At about 9 bucks apiece it would be worth it to pick up a couple of different manufactures products and see which color you like before you replace all 20 or so in your boat. I did mine about 2 years ago and found a big difference in the way different manufactures defined "warm white"
Old 09-12-2014, 15:24   #14

Roger that.

Tags
beneteau