Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2015, 19:30   #1

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch
Renogy flexible solar panels fire hazard

We just started cruising, left the dock 10/1. On 9/30 we had to rent a car and replace half of our solar array (4 x 100 renogy flexible solar panels on white plastic). My wife found a thread on Facebook about them catching fire, so we contacted Renogy and they said they would replace them.

The replacements are the same panels but with a sheet of aluminum attached to the back. (ie: if you took your panel off, and put a piece of aluminum 1"-2" smaller on the back, and then reinstalled, that's the fix) Ours looked like they just made them up in the factory for us, the white silicone was still wet when we installed them.

They seem to be fine so far but it's been a whirlwind. We had all these unexpected failures right at the launch, not to mention the water heater failing last night and taking out the inverter in the process. I was able to bring the inverter back from the dead. Anyhow, that's another thread for another day.

Anyhow, just wanted to give you guys a heads up. From what I understand if you have the renogy flexible panels mounted directly to a surface you should have them replaced. Ours are mounted on our bimini and when I looked at the bottom I could see heat distortion on some of them. The bimini is starboard and didn't appear to be damaged.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:36   #2

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch
Re: Renogy flexible solar panels fire hazard

Just got official notification the end of Jan from Renogy.

Dear Valued Renogy Customer,
You are receiving this email as our records indicate that you have purchased a product with the model number RNG-100DB after April 28th, 2015.
RNG is issuing a voluntary product recall of specific 100 Watt Renogy bendable solar panels. This product is being voluntarily recalled because the configuration of the product may cause it to overheat, posing a fire hazard to consumers.
Serial Numbers Affected:
The products are 100 Watt Renogy bendable solar panels with the model number RNG-100DB. The products have the UPC code 720825342283 and a serial number beginning with 15029201504030xxx or 15037201504140xxx.

Participating in the Recall:
Please stop using this product immediately. You can return your unit for a full refund or a replacement product.
  • If you return your unit for a refund, a pre-paid return label will be sent to your email address. Once the product has arrived at RNG’s location, a full refund will be issued.
  • You may also replace your unit with a RNG-100D rigid panel and receive a partial credit. A pre-paid return label will be sent to your email address. Once the product arrives at RNG’s location, a partial refund will be issued.
If you have questions about this voluntary recall, please call RNG toll-free at 1 (800) 330-8678, ext. 2, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST Monday through Friday and 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. PST Saturday, or email customerservice@renogy.com. Please be prepared with an order number or email address to look up the order.

Sincerely,
RNG Group, Inc.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:11   #3

Boat: Custom 55

THANK YOU for posting this. I'm just about to leave my boat for a while. I never heard from Renogy. Panels off! It turns out my 100's are not part of the recall, but I would have been a basket case the whole time I was away had I seen this a few hours later and not been able to check the numbers and get them off the deck.

TJ
TJ D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:33   #4

Pretty impressive customer service, even offering to pay return shipping costs.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panels, solar, solar panels