Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-12-2014, 06:57   #31

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 37
Re: RENOGY Flexible Solar Panels

Originally Posted by capt-couillon View Post
Results of Renogy 100W solar panel immersion test...

While preparing to install my new 100W panel on the lazarette, I set it up on the bimini to avoid possible damage. Got cold, got late, got stupid and went below for supper and a nights sleep without stowing the panel. 20knt winds overnight stowed it for me, alongside the boat in about 20' of cold saltwater.

There it sat, on the bottom somewhere... Called my buddy the diver who charged me a full hour for a five minute recovery. (Too cold for me) but offered to swim around for a bit just to act like it was difficult.

Anyway, hauled it out of the drink, rinsed it off in fresh water, and installed it. Functioning just fine, so guess the encapsulation works. Not sure a regular glazed in frame panel would have survived 12 hrs at 20'.

This is not a recommended procedure for installation. Use at your own risk.
I used a similar installation procedure on a Bose speaker once.

Marc Hall
Crazy Fish - Maintaining, Upgrading and Sailing a Crealock 37 | SV Crazy Fish

MarcHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 08:19   #32

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch
Re: RENOGY Flexible Solar Panels

These panels are slightly different than the other ones I bought off ebay. My ebay flex panels have an extra row of cells on them, and the cells are not solid in color, you can see trace lines on them.

So the smaller footprint is nice, but it will be interesting to compare which ones put out more power. The connectors are a lot nicer on the renogy panels, mc4 versus cheap crap on the aluminum ones.

autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote

panels, solar, solar panels

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: