Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-08-2010, 11:46   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Osiris, Optima used to be JCI's pride and joy. Are you sure they sold it out, or were acquired by, Exide??

Buying AGMs at WalMart can be problematic, they don't sell batteries over the 'net and what each store carries, depends on local stocking. Many just don't carry AGMs. Same problem at Costco and other chains.

Old 08-08-2010, 15:26   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
If you search the internet you will find that Exide has purchased dozens of brands of batteries and the manufacturers. Optima is supposedly one of them. No problem, in fact they are now available in more places than before.
See:
Optima Batteries

Exide Batteries Delco Batteries ... In an OPTIMA battery, the lead plates and separator are wound and tightly compressed into a cell tube so they can't ...
http://www.dcbattery.com/optima2.html

Old 08-08-2010, 16:39   #18
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
The best deal on a great marine battery I'm seeing right now is at Sears.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...s+%26+Chargers

This is the same battery as the Odyssey. In fact, it is an Odyssey, made for Sears. A TPPL, 100 amp/hr for $249. Deeper discharges, much higher CAR.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 20:27   #19
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"Exide has purchased "
Interesting, but JCI still claims to make the Optima line.
Johnson Controls Inc. | Power Solutions
"Our commitment to world-class technology and manufacturing excellence is reflected in our global brands, including Optima, Varta, LTH and Heliar, as well as through the private labels we supply. "

I don't know how they are doing now, but about 5 years ago JCI was having problems selling the Optimas, i.e. they were running big sales to clear 18-month old stock from inventory at stores. The spiral-wound technology is supposed to not only be more reliable, but also be much cheaper to manufacture--which made their super-premium prices for lower capacity batteries (compared to flat plate AGM) something that always made me wonder what they thought the miracle of marketing could do.
Old 09-08-2010, 00:28   #20

Cant comment on choices for batteries in the US but I've found there are brands here in AUS which seem to be selling batteries where the spec's are identical or similiar. The spec sheets, which all appear to have a similiar format seem to have been done by the same company in China so I assume have come out of the same factory. Prices differ upto 40% across these batteries depending on whether its a direct importer on Ebay or a chain/franchise of battery stores. Thinking of going with Fullriver batteries as they seem to have the reputation or are at least better known.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:10   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
"Optima" is NOT an Exide brand; but "Orbital" is:
See Exide's Brands Community

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:00   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless Again
The gel technology may be old, but its still the only thing around that can take being partially discharged for months at a time. Its what you need when you live on the hook.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:50   #23
cruiser

Boat: Camano Troll
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_douglas View Post
............ If you want to attempt an resuscitation, I'd contact a battery supplier and chat them up. They may have some ideas, or possibly the equipment, bring the batteries back to life for a while. ......

I think this is the best advice given, even though the OP apparently chose not to heed it.

People who deal with batteries as their profession are more likely to be knowledgeable on the subject than boaters with anecdotal experience.

As a boater with some knowledge and "anecdotal experience", I would say that ten years is past the normal life expectancy of boat batteries and you should seriously consider replacing them before they leave you stranded somewhere.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:31   #24

I came across the following instructions for adding distilled water however it relates to a small 7AH Gell battery.
http://www.oddmix.com/tech/pdf/pc_re..._gelcell_2.pdf
Upscaling the procedure to a 225AH battery with the potential for acid spills/fumes on a boat did not appeal to me. If I was at home where I could stick the battery in a corner of the garage and let it fizz away I'd give it a go. The technicians/sales people I spoke to when getting quotes for new batteries had never heard of a way to restore Gell cells.
I was hoping for a way to extend the life of my Gels given that they were less than 4 years old and should have lasted longer.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:35   #25
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There are many batteries sold under multiple names. A local distributor keeps a stack of labels for different car makers, i.e. when he gets a warranty replacement call for a certain make, he slaps on a "geuine ___ OEM" label and voila, the brand changes.

But that doesn't mean two batteries that look alike and spec alike ARE the same. In most businesses, you can order up a "looks like" from a vendor, but also have it built differently. Maybe the plates are 1/4" shallower, to meet a price point. You'd never know. Or some production tolerance was looser. Just seeing the product online--no way to tell.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:19   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
There are many batteries sold under multiple names...
But that doesn't mean two batteries that look alike and spec alike ARE the same...
Just seeing the product online--no way to tell.
Indeed!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 15:14   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Well, whoever is making the Optima's they have really done a decent job. I sure at least it is not BP as they don't leak. Anyway, the last one's lasted for more than 6 years starting a 6 cylinder diesel. I gave them away to a cruiser with a 4 cylinder and he said they are still working fine for him. And we did nothing to them but hook them up and forget about them.
- - I do see them now in a lot of sailing boats so they are getting popular as a starting battery. Maybe that is a bad thing because as soon as something good get popular they discontinue it or change it.
Old 25-09-2010, 07:04   #28

Boat: Beneteau 45F5 - BBM
Optima ( even Blue Top ) batteries are in fact very good batteries, however to a normal "services" usage for example a 450 AH bank will not be the best solution as the internal resistence of the bank will be the resistence of one of the 6 elements and not the all wish is far from the ideal for a deep cycle usage on a medium size boat. 2 X 220 AH batteries will old much better a continuous load then 6 X 75 AH. So, until Optima and Exide manufacture bigger blocks with diferent caractheristics they are far from beeing service deep cycle.
Old 25-09-2010, 10:01   #29
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"the internal resistence of the bank will be the resistence of one of the 6 elements and not the all "

How can that be possible? Optima batteries are sprial wound instead of using flat plates, but they still contain six cells connected in series, and that means the internal resistance is still seen and measured ACROSS ALL SIX CELLS.

The resistance may be different because of the spiral wind construction, and the capacity will be lower than a flat plate battery of the same case size because there are six "cans" packed in the rectangular case with gaps between them, but the resistance physically must be that of all six cells, in series.
Old 25-09-2010, 11:44   #30

Boat: Beneteau 45F5 - BBM
Hello
Is not a question of the Optima (spiral) having a diferent resistence but the fact that resistance will not increase on parallel connections so if 1 battery have 0,0025 ohms when you join it in a paralel group to have 12V and increase Amps ( parallel ) capacity the resistence will remain 0,0025 ohms, then if you use a bigger battery you will have a lower internal resistence ence a better performance ( as used it gets the batteries will increase internal resistence due to a lot of facts, decreasing their capacity )So to get for example a 12V 440/450 Ah group if you join in parallel 2 X 220AH you will get a better performance then 6 X 75AH

Tags
battery

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: