Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2019, 14:53   #61

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Refer power

sdj,

The effectiveness of a eutectic system is dependent on many things:
1. Box size.
2. Insulation, type, thickness, effectiveness, age.
3. Tightness and quality of the top.
4. Cooling Equipment, Compressor, Condensor, Fluid Heat exchanger etc.
5. Size of Eutectic Evaporator
5. Controls (big factor in effective use of equipment).
6. Installation (wiring, proper air flow, water flow, glycol mix, etc)
7. Ambient conditions
8. Black or white hull?

9. User
There are many variables, therefore I was vague and gave a range for time between freeze and thaw of eutectic systems.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 15:12   #62

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdj View Post
Any non-eutectic system will tolerate being turned off for 8 hours, more likely 24 hours.

The other opinion stated as fact, is your fridge will use MORE KWh if you turn it off - which is plain BS.

The amount of incorrect facts presented on this forum really irritates and sickens me. Moderators really need to figure out how to stop this from happening, as OP's and readers alike aren't going to distill the entire thread, nor would they know the correct answer if it up and hit them between the eyes. Considering that a large part of the value of the forum (I assume) is on correct representation of actual and proper "facts", without some safeguards on correct information cruisersforum is only a social forum.

Many forums have some type of voting system to indicate "the solution".
This site used to have at least three actual manufacturers of marine refrigeration systems who were happy to share their knowledge and experience with others. Now they appear to have been chased away or excommunicated, shame actually and the site is the poorer for it.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 15:24   #63
sdj
cruiser

Boat: Ganley Pacemaker 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
This site used to have at least three actual manufacturers of marine refrigeration systems who were happy to share their knowledge and experience with others. Now they appear to have been chased away or excommunicated, shame actually and the site is the poorer for it.
Yes, and the ongoing situation is that members would much rather gleam at their own typed lightweight opinion than consider that of a professional, and moderators are forced to go along with it because these people pay money to be here.

Which group of people to reprimand and devalue? Those who pay cash money to be here, or those who contribute valid content, and what exactly IS valid content?

It's not going to change. Once again, above, we see a page of carefully typed 'facts' to back up some baseless (and incorrect) opinion - the more often it is typed, the more correct it is - a narcissistic trait.

This is why most societies (including the sailing community) is filled with old wives tales taken as 'common wisdom'. It's laughable, except when you're the person who has been baited by the perpetrators into typing for hours trying to add some perspective. Don't do it. Let the forum decay into worthless baseless opinion until the mods act.

sdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 15:44   #64

Boat: Passport 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCrunch View Post
What surprises me about this thread is how little attention is paid to the food safety issue! In the food business, if foods that require refrigeration - especially poultry and fish - reach temperatures above 41 deg. for the amount of time the OP describes, it should be thrown away. I sure as hell woudn't eat any protein that reached temps of 48-54 deg for an undetermined period of time.

What most people aren't aware of is that it's not necessarily the bacteria, themselves, that cause "food poisoning" but the chemical byproducts of their activity. Otherwise, it would be safe to allow food to stay warm indefinitely, then just cook it to kill off the bacteria. But that's not the case.
Do you have a credible academic source for this information? I just did a little research and it appears to me (as a layperson) that most of the cause of food poisoning is pathogens, not chemical.
kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 04:32   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Refer power

Bacteria can secrete toxins endo and exo toxins I believe and these toxins can make you sick. That is just one of many ways that bacteria can make you sick, but I believe it is the most common way to get food poisioning.
The toxins are a chemical that makes you sick. I guess you could say technically in those cases that the bacteria doesn’t harm you, it’s the chemicals that they secrete that do. Of course you have to have the bacteria first to get the chemicals so logically to keep from getting sick you inhibit bacterial growth.
As a I said it’s just one way.
https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-truth-ab...sick-471481771
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 06:29   #66

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

A couple years ago I asked a similar question. "How about turning my freezer up to 20 degrees instead of zero to save energy". Strong, well documented reaction as to why that was a bad idea. Basically it came down to food safety. While still frozen, 20 degrees allows terrible things to happen in the food. I think the same applies here. Folks did point out, that because I only planned on doing that on a 2 week passage that I was probably not going to die - and I haven't!
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote