Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2010, 20:04   #1
Marine Service Provider

Redundancy vs. KISS

I'm rebuilding my battery compartment and trying to cram 100lbs of **** in a 10lbs. bag. I'm going to have 600Ah of AGM, plus my engine starter battery, and 420watts of solar with a 2 battery controller.

Currently I have a Pathmaker 200 battery combiner, and my master switch has been rewired to go just to the house bank and act as just an on/off switch. Considering I want stay on the hook as much as possible (well regardless of being on the hook or not) Considering 420 watts of solar with a dual battery charger, is the Pathmaker really necessary?

I'm kind of thinking of losing the Pathmaker and replacing my current master switch with one of these. On/off for both batteries, keeping them isolated with the option to combine for emergency starting. I figure, less parts, less wiring, less clutter, simpler. And I'd still have redundancy. The only thing I'd be losing is the ability to charge my engine start battery off shore power...but like I said, I plan on being on the hook as much as possible anyway. And with all that solar do i really need to charge off shore power?
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2010, 20:18   #2
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
I just have an ab switch that charges house or starting. About once a week I heat up the starting battery. Check out the gold plated fuse blocks and shunt ammeters at mpja.com. I got the four way block for alternator, inverter, solar and wind.also got shunt ammeters for solar and wind for under $10. Way cheap and great quality.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 07:08   #3
Marine Service Provider

I guess another option would be to just keep the Pathmaker and replace my battery switch with the Blue Sea switch?

And maybe use plexi for the cover on the new battery compartment, so I can see the status light on the Pathmaker?

Or maybe even just keep everything as is, and cut a small hole in the cover, so I can see the status light, and access the manual switch on the Pathmaker?
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote