I have a bit of a problem and am looking for some input.
I recently topped up my 4 130Ah house lead-acid batteries with distilled water
. Since I did this, the apparent capacity has taken a nose dive.
Before I added the water
, the levels in each cell was above the plates. I filled all 24 cells taking just over a gallon of distilled water to do so. The batteries were close to be fully charged at the time but not full (as I have since been advised they should have been)
I did not measure specific gravity before the refill. I have since bought a hydrometer. Yesterday I used it to flush each cell. ie I sucked in some fluid and squirted it out to try and force some circulation with the denser electrolyte below. About 10 times per cell. Random measures of the specific gravity were in 114-115 range after the 'flush'.
Last night I ran my genset until the batteries were on float as viewed on my Linksys 1000 battery monitor
. Measurements of the specific gravity at this point came in at around 117.5. Better but not consistent with a full charge.
Overnight I used 77.2 Ah and the voltage on the linksys measured 11.95V this morning. This is aweful compared to prefill behaviour.
I had filled the batteries up to the bottom of the inspection
tube which is correct according to two separate folks here. I have also been told that overfilling can't actually harm the batteries.
The best explanation so far is that I need to take the batteries through several charge cycles to allow the fizzing and bubbling to thoroughly mix the liquid in the cells.
This may in fact be good advice but I want to know if there were other oppinions out there. In particular, advice on how I can reduce the time to restoring the capacity of the batteries.
Thanks in advance.