Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 20:28   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by svbravo View Post
Does anyone know of a red/white led headlamp that uses AA batteries instead of AAA's? I hate to add another battery size to the inventory. All of the two color units I've found use AAA's, unfortunately.

Adam
s/v Bravo
Seattle
Petzl climbing lamps use AA. But we add our own red filter.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 22:18   #32

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckless View Post

There have been occasions, I have hit the white light rather then the red and I can say for myself at least there is a dramatic difference in the effect of the white light compared to the red light on my night vision.

When the bright white light comes on I can practically feel my pupils react, when the light goes off it takes a while for my night vision to return to where it previously was.

If I'm reading this correctly, it seems you've missed that part about dim.

I have red lights. Ok. Basically the red lense makes them... dim... which makes them effective. I'd change my red for soft yellow if I could. These came with a nice chrome plated plastic bezel. They're LED trailer light.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:39   #33

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Don1500--

Something you might consider: Before I installed colored LED arrays in our light fittings I carried a few rolls of "Tailight Tape" from Discount Auti and as preparation for night running would apply that to the lenses of lights that migh be activated at night by unthinking crew. For the round bulkhead mounted bell shaped reading lamps, I found that the plastic covers from 3-ball cans of Tennis Balls fit over the ends prefectly. The centers could be cut out and tail light tape applied, to the inside and outside of the covers to form a good bond and "dim down" the lights. Tail light tape is also available in several colors--Red, Yellow etc. so you could try these to determine what works for you.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:05   #34
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by svbravo View Post
Does anyone know of a red/white led headlamp that uses AA batteries instead of AAA's? I hate to add another battery size to the inventory. All of the two color units I've found use AAA's, unfortunately.
The Gerber Meridian Headlamp, made for hunters, has separate red, green (for not spooking game) and white lamps and uses AA batteries.
Old 06-08-2010, 18:20   #35

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Whenever I am confronted with a technical question pertaining to sailing I turn to my Pirate Dctionary for answers. This reference assures me that during sea battles, those sailors designated to shuttle munitions etc between the deck and the hold would wear a patch over one eye, thus preserving night vision in that eye. When the sailor would run below he would flip up the patch, then flip it down again when he returned on deck.
Probably not as usefull as a dim light in our context of sailing at night, but it would be an excuse to wear an eyepatch while on passage.

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 18:50   #36

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
The old wooden warships were notoriously poorly lighted below decks--for obvious reasons, one did not want lanterns with burning candles hanging about when in battle. About the only light was that which filtered down through gratings in the decks above, and a single dim candle lantern in the bulkhead to the magazine where the master gunner passed charges to the ship's boys. Ship's boys, therefore, needed at least one eye accustomed to the deep gloom which prevailed below along the orlop and in the hold where the shot lockers and magazines were.

Tags
cabin