Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-03-2011, 13:49   #16

Re: Re-wiring plan for old boat

After looking at your schematic, I would recommend

Labeling/numbering your wires. When we need to talk about a wire either party will know which wire we are talking about.

The shunt for measuring DC current is usually attached as close to the minus side of the batteries as you can. The do make dual shunts for two batteries/banks.

Your bildge pumps should be connected directly to you batteries on seperate wires with fuses as close to the source as possible. To avoid rat's nest, they are attached/connected to the wire at the MBSS that goes to the plus side of the battery.

Some of your DC circuit breakers are on the low side. The one that sticks out is the heater fan at 5 amps.

gmau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 20:28   #17

Re: Re-wiring plan for old boat

ok, thanks everyone.

To answer some of the questions above. I do not plan on bonding my boat as I am worried about the current damaging the wood around my thru hulls.

As for the batteries, yes, I was thinking about using the odyssey as the starting battery and the other 3 interstate batteries as the house bank.

As for the generators, they are truly generators and not alternators. These are what came with these original hercules WB engines. They only put out enough charging to maintain the batteries and not enough to charge. That is why I am adding a separate modern alternator to charge the house batteries.

Separately, I do have an external 2000 W generator, that I can plug into the shore power inlet to charge the batteries. So, if out longer than a day, that is an option.

My main usage for power will be the refrigerator, then lighting (minimized with LED lighting), and navigation tools Raymarine E120.

Separately, I will be traveling for 5 days tomorrow on business, so I apologize ahead of time if I don;t respond right away. But please continue to send responses as all responses will help me make a better decision.

Rugger8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 01:55   #18
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

ABYC practice is to insist on a connection between DC negative. ( ps there's no circuit called DC ground) and AC protective ground wire. However EU RCD specifications allow if you are fitting a whole boat RCD that such connection is required. From a purely electrical situation , I would never connect them. Nor would I bond underwater fittings and connect that to any part of the on board circuitry. If you intend fittings an isolating traffo then there's nothing to be gained by connecting the dc negative and AC protective earth anyway. Keep the DC Ac and bonding system seperate if at all possible.

Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! -
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: