Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2010, 12:59   #1

Boat: Oceanis 411
Raynarine Autopilot - Standby Bug

I have this bug - an occasional dropout to "standby".
I note that on another forum this is discussed and seems quite common.
Has anyone found a solution?

I will thank the anti-raymarine cynics now for their comments so they can save space for the helpful replies
Old 04-10-2010, 13:22   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
FraidNot, interesting that you should post this since our dock neighbor just installed a Raymarine autopilot and went sailing with it over the weekend. When he came back to the slip he complained that the autopilot went directly to Standby when he tried to engage it. I would suggest as I did to him, that you check your voltage first since these are very voltage sensitive and then check all grounds on the system. If that does not fix it contact Raymarine.. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 15:45   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
you sure youre not getting any error messges thats the usual reason for dropout to standby, either low voltage, or drive errrors or connection errors

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 16:39   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
My X5 wheel pilot gives me an intermittant 'No Pilot' error when I turn it on. Still trying to resolve the issue with Raymarine. When I first installed the pilot it wouldn't boot up and gave the 'No Pilot' error message. I switched the compass out and it worked fine. The day before i left on my TransPac the 'No Pilot' happened again after weeks of working fine. Since I mostly use a windvane for steering was resigned to not having the autopilot. In the morning when I left the slip, the Pilot booted up fine and worked for the entire passage, more than 50 hours of motoring and switched to Standby the rest of the 15 day passage. Been here a few weeks and went out yesterday and once again got the 'No Pilot' error message.

Talking with Raymarine customer service, they got back to me to tell me the pilot was having communications issues between the control head and pilot black, actually gray, box. Well, DUH!!!! I'd already figured that out. They said the compass wasn't the problem and shouldn't have had any effect on the 'No Pilot' error message issue. They weren't really forthcoming on how to resolve the issue if the problem came back.

Have an email into them again. Hopefully will have a more definitive reply from them this time.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 16:57   #5

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
But he is not getting a No Pilot message, it goes to Standby when he tries to engage the autopilot. A different problem. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:46   #6

I've had an elec check they system - voltages are find and seems to be no poor grounds....

I only drops to standby once every few days - will then engage normally straight away.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:52   #7

so no one has found a common solution....
Old 11-10-2010, 13:36   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Miura 31
I have had this happen on a number of boats when crossing the Atlantic on deliveries. I have found that on most occasions it has happened when the batteries are not well charged and the 12v refrigeration turns on. When the refrigeration starts up, a sudden voltage drop can occur and the Raymarine AP drops out. Don't know if this could be applicable to your situation. Does it go to standby when motoring or only when sailing - or both? If it is only when sailing, you need to see if there is a voltage spike or a voltage drop when some equipment turns on aboard your boat. Raymarine AP's are very sensitive to voltage drops and spikes. Even, for instance, an electrical bilge pump switching on and off briefly can cause a voltage spike and make the AP go onto standby.
John
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 13:47   #9

Boat: Hylas 44
According to Raymarine, if the voltage to the core pack drops below 11.5 volts the autopilot will switch to standby. Intermittent heavy or simultaneous loads could be temporarily dropping the battery voltage below the threshold.

Good Luck
Chuck
ChuckSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 13:56   #10

Heh. And Raymarine can't reliably measure voltage. My Raymarine setup reports the voltage as 1.34V too high. How can they goof that up? 10% error. Your's may sense low.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot