Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2014, 09:26   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Raise Battery Voltage For The Inverter?

A battery is a battery of cells. A group of them. Smaller batteries that make "12" volts from six "2.2" volt cells are conveniently packaged in one case. Larger batteries, like those on fork lifts, have rather large individual cells that can be individually replaced if need be. So can the voltage of your battery be increased? Sure, add cell(s).

But if you've got a conventional battery, all in one case? Time to ante up and replace it. Screwing around with kludge jobs will be an ultimate waste of time and money. And the concept of adding a resistor in order to increase voltage, if I may be blunt, says that you really might want to have an electrician check over the entire system when you do that. Resistors never increase voltage, they only lower it. Chosen improperly (wrong wattage rating) they can be good heating elements, and start a fire. Or explode like a blown fuse.
A "car" battery can put out over 3000 amps into a dead short. If that short is through your wedding ring, metal watchband, wrench in hand...you can get seriously injured. Which is why I suggest an electrician, to do things now, until you check out some books on 12-volt systems and come up to speed on them.

Low battery voltage can be from a bad battery, but it can also be a good battery being measured incorrectly, not at the terminals but somewhere else like a panel meter, which allows for bad connections, thin wiring, and other problems that show "low" voltage in the system, when the battery is OK.

Better to have a pro come in and check out the entire system, so it works properly and so you're safe with it.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 09:27   #17

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

Along with replacing the battery, I recommend learning the best procedures for maintaining the new one for optimum service and longevity.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 15:24   #18

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
I am asking an honest question here. Is this a legit question?

If you have a 12V nominal battery at that voltage you have a bad or shorted cell. The battery is now borderline dangerous..
No bordeline about it mate you are a floating fire hazard if you use this.

'Back in the day' I used to do repairs to small L/A cells and one trick that sometimes worked was to empty the acid out and flush with distilled water before refilling. It worked if the problem was a build up of gunk in the bottem of the cell but only gave a fairly short increase in life. Handling the acid is DANGEROUS. On a boat I would not bother with any attempt to salvage batteries that I relied on for sailing.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 15:29   #19

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

The best way to use a 10.6V battery is to make sure that all the wire connections are only using 25% of the wire. And make them a bit loose on the terminals.

This will also solve your cold and condensation problems…

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 16:02   #20

Location: Placida FL on the hard for now real nice place cheep rent .
Boat: 78 Laguna ,Windrose 24'

Hi liveaboardL . Go on YouTube & subscribe to ( Knurlgnar24 ) he's a wiz at inverters electronics etc . Ask him your question , he will get back to you around 24-48hrs . A great guy answers all my questions , & i ask alot ! Remember to subscribe ! saillersteve.
sailersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 16:11   #21

Boat: 35' Jeanneau Espace 1000 DL

A drill is a inductive load, not a pure resistor.
While it pulls 400W running, it may pull 5 times as much at 0rpm.
Check your inverter's specs. I could'nt find any inverters right now, but I have a circuit breaker here wich says:
Resistive load:1000W
Inductive load:300W

Reason:Much of the resistance in electrical motors comes from the magnetic field of the spinning motor.

.manitu
Old 22-11-2014, 16:16   #22

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveaboardL View Post
Is it possible to raise a battery's voltage for a 700 watt inverter?

I have a battery that puts out a lot of power, but its max voltage is 10.6 volts, which isn't enough voltage to keep my inverter from cutting off while using the corded drill (about 400 watts)..................
No you cannot raise a battery's voltage. You also cannot use two batteries in series to achieve a higher voltage and then drop it with a resistor or combination of resistors. Not only would that be incredibly inefficient in this operation, you would need very large (power capacity) resistors. And unless there was a constant load on the output of the inverter you could never calculate the value for the resistors because the value to drop to the proper voltage would vary with the load of the inverter.

I don't know if you are posing this question as theory or if you are somehow confused. It would be very hard to find a battery with a 10.6 volt output and even if you found or made one, you won't be able to find anything that requires 10.6 volts to operate anyway.
Old 22-11-2014, 17:56   #23

I just looked into the option of Connecting some D-cell NiMH batteries in series & parallel & it would require about 35 NiMH D batteries to run the drill. Too expensive... (6 D's for $23 on ebay)
A D Battery can give 3.6A @.9V due to internal resistance, so for about 500 watt draw, it ain't happening.
If I use these 10.6v batteries, I'll make sure nothing gets hot with extended use & test everything. Thanks for those who warned me about the extra current draw, and the need for a step-up/down regulator & the problems w/ using a high-power resistor. Gosh, seemed like such a neat idea too! Great info resource here.
liveaboardL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 18:27   #24

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
...If I use these 10.6v batteries, I'll make sure nothing gets hot with extended use & test everything...
It is stunts like this that result in boat fires. Even if you don't care about your own safety, what you propose is highly dangerous to your dock neighbors. Please reconsider.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 22:11   #25

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Whilst a bad battery should be replaced, everyone has assumed that the low voltage has been measured at the battery. Has it? Inverters draw a lot of amps and under sized wiring will cause significant voltage drops. Other solutions are check your inverter manual to see if it has a low voltage cutout override or buy a cordless drill and use the inverter to run the battery charger.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 13:23   #26

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
.................. If I use these 10.6v batteries, .........
Where are you finding 10.6 volt batteries and why are you insisting on using them instead of conventional 12 volt batteries?

You cannot use a 12 volt inverter with a 10.6 volt DC supply. It won't work.
Old 23-11-2014, 16:09   #27

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

How about buy an old 9 volt battery powered drill and replace the battery
with a cable that goes to your 10 volt battery?
I was at the goodwill today, they had one for $5, battery was dead for sure.
Old 23-11-2014, 16:50   #28

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:

This makes sense, right?
I excerpted the only portion which makes sense. About the best advice anyone can offer here is to not touch anything on your boat which involves electricity
S/V Illusion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 18:15   #29

Boat: 40' Wharram cat, 30' Outrigger Canoe

O.P. - what sort of battery are you talking about? Sure doesn't sound like lead-acid. Answering this may explain a few things...
muddyone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, battery, inverter