Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-08-2017, 14:45   #61

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Radar waves safe for humans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyrj33 View Post
Let's remember the OP asked about mounting his radar at a level where crew would be in the radar beam.
I don't care how weak the beam is i won't be standing close to an operating radar. It's not worth the risk.
I agree but is probably our paranoia.

Old 27-08-2017, 14:51   #62

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Have you read Ziggy's posts above? They show that the rather conservative FCC/ANSI standards indicate that there is no threat from either type of recreational radar scanners. Further, there is no clinical or theoretical evidence that there is a cancer risk from non-ionizing radiation at these levels.

Jim
Yeah and I know health and safety engineers who work for cell phone companies who refuse to carry them on their person, like in a pocket. But cell phones are safe.

Bottom line is, if you don't have to needlessly irradiate your body, don't. Leave it on a pole where it will perform better and find other more rewarding ways to tempt fate.

Old 27-08-2017, 15:13   #63
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Yeah and I know health and safety engineers who work for cell phone companies who refuse to carry them on their person, like in a pocket. But cell phones are safe.

Bottom line is, if you don't have to needlessly irradiate your body, don't. Leave it on a pole where it will perform better and find other more rewarding ways to tempt fate.
Ahh, compelling evidence is proffered! My professional background is as a physicist working in support of a major Health Physics department much of the time. Those folks, whose life's work involves understanding and minimizing irradiation of the human body all carry cell phones, some in pockets, some in purses.

Neither your example nor mine prove anything whatsoever about the danger of low level microwave exposure. Posing anecdotal evidence does little but confuse these issues. Examination of the exposure in relation to internationally supported standards is the only rational means of evaluating the risk for anyone other than a competent professional in a relevant field.

Howeverr, I do agree with your final sentence, for I too would leave the radar on a pole.

Jim
Old 28-08-2017, 18:35   #64

Back in the seventies in the Uk it was discovered that engineers working on aircraft for long time periods near the radar equipment were becoming sterile, but maybe there is better screening today.
Old 28-08-2017, 18:47   #65

Boat: Moana 33

Quote:
... I too would leave the radar on a pole.
Why so Jim, when there's "no compelling evidence" that microwaves can damage human tissue? Pure superstition, or a teensy-weensy bit of doubt there?

(I sure as hell wouldn't want him parked next me with a deck-mounted radar.)
Old 28-08-2017, 19:04   #66
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevisDog View Post
Why so Jim, when there's "no compelling evidence" that microwaves can damage human tissue? Pure superstition, or a teensy-weensy bit of doubt there?

(I sure as hell wouldn't want him parked next me with a deck-mounted radar.)
Because, as has been well pointed out, the radar will work better there.

And your quotation leaves out the concept of intensity. Sufficient microwave energy can certainly damage human tissue, but those levels are far beyond that of our 1-4 kw pulse radars.

Jim
Old 28-08-2017, 22:16   #67

Quote:
... And your quotation leaves out the concept of intensity. Sufficient microwave energy can certainly damage human tissue, but those levels are far beyond that of our 1-4 kw pulse radars.
I'm not sure this is quite accurate. I believe, just like X-rays, any level of microwave energy is damaging but small amounts are accepted as inconsequential. The only question (answered by ?internationally agreed standards?) is the level that is considered inconsequential. Most sensible people (dentists, etc) avoid unnecessary X-ray exposure; same applies to microwaves.
Old 28-08-2017, 22:59   #68
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevisDog View Post
I'm not sure this is quite accurate. I believe, just like X-rays, any level of microwave energy is damaging but small amounts are accepted as inconsequential. The only question (answered by ?internationally agreed standards?) is the level that is considered inconsequential. Most sensible people (dentists, etc) avoid unnecessary X-ray exposure; same applies to microwaves.
Comparing the risk of routine exposure to dental x-ray machines and that of small pulse radars is a bit skewed.

You are free to worry about whatever you wish. If that includes not using a cell phone, so be it. Equally, chirp radars or small pulse radars. Where you draw the line is up to you. I'll continue to believe in the standards set by folks who actually know something about the subject.

And now I think this subject has been thrashed enough, so I'll withdraw from the discussion.

Jim
Old 29-08-2017, 00:49   #69

Boat: Valiant 42

People worry about tiny amounts of man made RF and then go stand in the sunlight allowing their body to be warmed by a fusion powered nuclear reactor. It is amazing how we ever survived as a species.
Old 29-08-2017, 01:41   #70

Okay folks, go sit in front of the nearest radar scanner - it's your funeral.
Old 29-08-2017, 02:19   #71

Radar is dangerous, especially nearby the antenna when sending.
They produce a lot of energy, that can degrade tissue and produce cancer.

But it's not only radar - all transmitting devices with a certain power are dangerous, so keep away from antennas when they are sending!

Fortunately the intensity degrades fast with the distance and the directional characteristics of a radar also limits the exposure when the radome is placed high on the mast.
Old 29-08-2017, 11:18   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrybas View Post
... Are there health issues by being on the same level as the radar?
This was the OP's question - no mention of modern, 3rd generation radar, just wants to take an existing radar scanner of unknown (to us) type and stick it on his cabin. All this stuff about 3rd generation radar being "safe" or "harmless" is irrelevant to the OP.

My Koden manual states on page 1: Take care to avoid the possible harmful effects of microwave radiation ... the eyes are particularly vulnerable ... RF radiation can upset some cardiac pacemakers ... whenever necessary to work on antenna, always turn power OFF. Please do not try to confuse simple folks by reference to solar radiation - the earth's atmosphere has protected humans from the harmful effects of electro-magnetic radiation since we first crawled from the primordial ooze (or Adam was a cowboy), ensuring only the least harmful 'visible' light spectrum (tho' humans can't see into the UV spectrum quite as far as some other species) and equally harmless radio frequencies reach the surface of this planet; so long as we refrain from inventing new ways to destroy the ozone layer, it will likely continue to filter out harmful X-rays, gamma rays and microwaves.
Old 29-08-2017, 11:22   #73

Yes, no one wants to be confused by facts.
Old 29-08-2017, 11:32   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Yes, no one wants to be confused by facts.
Inconvenient facts, like the ionosphere blocking all solar radiation except visible light and RF? Were you unaware of this 'fact' or just deliberately misleading us?
Old 29-08-2017, 12:03   #75

Visible light is "RF". It's a higher frequency but other than that exactly the same. So is "UV" light.

And if you truly believe the ionosphere blocks all radio waves ask yourself how radio telescopes work? Or how can we send and receive radio signals from Pluto and the rest of the solar system?

Tags
radar

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: