Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2017, 10:23   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Quietest 7.5kw generator

You can't run a dive compressor or air conditioning off of Solar.
Some say it can be done, but I don't believe it. It's just a matter of physics, just takes more power than your going to get out of a Solar array.
Solar has windage and to many ruins the looks of a boat, there is no perfect answer.
My Bauer is gasoline and I have as much Solar as I could reasonably fit, and I have a small generator. I could have gone with a much larger generator, but didn't want the weight and size.
Now my Bauer is in storage, right now I'm struggling with where to put the thing. I only plan on using it when there are no places to get fills, which of course means no decompression chamber either, you pays your money and takes your chances.

a64pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 10:25   #32

Boat: FP Lucia 40
Re: Quietest 7.5kw generator

Some photos of the genset install to refresh your memory. It really does take advantage of the limited space.

And some measurements of the coach roof for solar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02633.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	156606   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02634.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	350.4 KB
ID:	156607  

Name:	DSC02651.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	407.3 KB
ID:	156608   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02920.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	350.8 KB
ID:	156609  

Name:	DSC02931.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	324.1 KB
ID:	156610   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02932.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	394.8 KB
ID:	156611  

Terbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 11:05   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: LUCIA 40 Maestro

about HEIGHT ...
Look at this video, from minute 02:44

https://youtu.be/NnH_qbBxAJA?t=2m44s

In a flat sea, no motors (apparent!), light wind, you can see the bow is deeper in the water than stern... SO ... for a LUCIA 40 at least at see, adding more weight aft do not seems a problem and will probably make it more balanced.

The aft engine rooms of the Lucia are HUGE and I think the generator can be instaled BESIDE... on the side not forward or backward the engine. Myself I was surprized by FP, as most other manufacturers are putting it just before the forward cabin... this, I think, is more a problem for sailing performances.

From my understanding about ships (I worked long time ago in a shipbuilding company) the hulls are very large on the stern than the bow. I understand for a monohull, at least the older one with a narrow stern, height there is more a concern.
Old 24-09-2017, 11:10   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel

Why 7.5 kW of power? Would less suffice?

Diesels last longer with big loads put on them, in proportion to their maximum output.

Without big loads put on them their combustion chambers carbon up and they die an early death. Yeah I know that on yachts Diesels typically corrode out before they wear out....with the exception of not changing out the oil often enough.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 11:15   #35
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

a64-
There's a YouTube showing an RV couple running their AC off solar. So yes, it can be done and has been done, unless you assume they faked the video. It's all a matter of engineering and running the numbers. With enough panels, and enough batteries, any sized load can be supported. Oh wait a minute...didn't you hear about the incredible big freaking gattling gun that some idiot thought they could build a ground support fighter around?(G)

So you might need solar cells instead of teak strips on the entire deck, and an extra two inches of insulation against the hulls, but that's just details.

Fala-
You really should be speaking to the people building the boat, or the agents selling it to you. If THEY don't know which generator is quieter, perhaps they are the wrong people to buy the boat from. They should know which one is quieter, and which one is more reliable--which might be a more important issue. They should know if that compartment is soundproofed, and if not, they should know how to install extra sound-proofing for the generator. These are basic issues of competency.
"a gazoline compressor will make a lot because is can't be in a locker" Of course it can be in a locker. Anything can be in a locker, above or below deck, atop the mast or deep in the keel. That's just a simple matter of carpentry and routing the vent hoses (intake and exhaust) and the other plumbing properly.
A proper yacht design firm will have no problem dealing with these questions. A shoemaker who has decided to sell yachts, will have problems.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 11:23   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

7.5 kW ... This is the only option on LUCIA 40
Old 24-09-2017, 11:25   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"So you might need solar cells instead of teak strips on the entire deck, and an extra two inches of insulation against the hulls, but that's just details."

For sure, no teak on my deck...
Old 24-09-2017, 11:27   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"There's a YouTube showing an RV couple running their AC off solar."

on a RV there are MUCH more space than a catamaran, unless you cover all cabin + dinghy + +
Old 24-09-2017, 11:27   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

and how much batteries for 8 hours of AC ?
Old 24-09-2017, 11:54   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falbala60 View Post
and how much batteries for 8 hours of AC ?

That, like everything else, depends.
First how big an AC? What is the duty cycle? If we assume the average 16KW AC, they seem to pull 12 to 14 amps at 120 VAC, including the water pump etc.
So, for sake of argument say 120 amps at DC voltages.
If your going to run said AC for 12 hours, than 12 x 120 is 1,440 AH.
If lead acid then you don't want to go below 50% SOC, so I'd say a 3,000 AH bank ought to do it. Less run time, less power of course, 12 hours is worst case, but is only one smallish AC for a Cat I think.

Then you have to generate say at least 1600 AH with Solar to pull that off. Using the three to one formula for Solar, meaning you get approx 333 AH out of 1 KW Solar, which seem to be achievable in the tropics.
You can get there with I figure 5,000 W of Solar.
Run those numbers any way you like, like cut AC run time in half, cuts battery bank and Solar in half.
Plus all this is just a SWAG, meant only to show you may need more batteries and Solar than you may think.
Old 24-09-2017, 12:02   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quietest 7.5kw generator

Now if money is no object, a more logical way to get there is a massive LIFE-PO bank, as much Solar as is possible and the generator with really huge chargers.
Idea being run everything until SOC dictates the generator being started, then have chargers big enough to load the generator to close to max capacity and run it until the bank is charged enough that you can shut it down.
Maybe get to just a few hours of run time a day, with the flexibility to absorb high usage days by extending run times, like those when your filling tanks and or cloudy days etc?

Be massively expensive I think, but should be easy to automate the generator runs so that it is started and shut down automatically as needed.
Old 24-09-2017, 12:13   #42

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

For every problem there is a solution. Things to consider when choosing the solution. Is it practical, is it affordable and can you fit it into your boat.
Olddan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 12:42   #43
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I thought a proper yachtsman had the hired help go ashore and bring freshly charged batteries in every morning. You know, along with the mail, newspapers, and fresh croissants.

All this talk of manufacturing electricity on board a yacht...most unbecoming. Maybe on a merchant vessel, but really? Manufacturing? On a yacht? Psssah. Most irregular.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 12:52   #44

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falbala60 View Post
I visited the Nexgen site and seems they only have 5kw but low speed. The Lucia 40 is offered with a 7.5kw generator, so I have not enough knowledge in this field to think to reduce to 5kw. I plan to add a Bauer that takes 5hp of power, so I think I ma better to stay with 7.5 to 8 generator.
Thank you
For the little Bauer compressor you MUST have a good 7.5kw minimum.....when filling tanks the generator shielding is not relevant as the compressor is much louder......

nwdiver is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator