Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-06-2015, 06:26   #1

Boat: Hunter 49
Quiet wind turbine generator?

I am looking at buying a West Marine wind turbine generator. The model I am looking at is the RDK 400 watt wind turbine. Does anyone have any info on what is the most quiet wind turbine on the market right now?

Old 19-06-2015, 06:52   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Quiet wind turbine generator?

I don't know about the one you're looking at, but there are lots out there now that are pretty quiet. I have a Spreco SilentWind. It is pretty darn quiet -- not silent, but I can easily carry on a normal conversation with it whirring away above my head in the cockpit.

There are other threads here on CF where this has been discussed. A search should turn them up.

Old 19-06-2015, 06:56   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"

The quietest one with very good output is the D400 by Eclectic Energy. It's also about the most expensive wind generator out there.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 07:15   #4
cruiser

A SEARCH of the fora here retrieved this thread, a rather exhaustive example of its kind:

A Wind Generator Review
Old 19-06-2015, 07:34   #5

When it comes to wind generators it comes down to three things CHEAP, QUIET, EFFICIENT, but you an only have two and the third will be opposite. I recommend and use the air breeze.

https://svgoodonya.blogspot.com.au/
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 08:33   #6

Boat: Taswell 43

After cruising from the Philippines to the Caribbean, the best(for output) and quietest is the D400. But it's also pricey! We elected to install a Rutland 914i--it's very quiet (but not silent) and puts out 2-4 amps at winds up to 20-25 kts. I'd recommend spending your $$ on solar rather than wind gen--much better alternate power output, although it doesn't do a lot at night!
Old 19-06-2015, 08:56   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
The quietest one with very good output is the D400 by Eclectic Energy. It's also about the most expensive wind generator out there.
We have two of these - expensive? Yes! .....but we do not notice them regarding noise and they are really good at chucking out the power, even in lightwinds. Due to the price, we excluded them from our last sale and are takin them to our new boat. We are very happy with them.
Old 19-06-2015, 09:01   #8

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Our KISS is entirely user-serviceable (I just replaced the bearings after 10 years, and am about to replace the thermo cutouts, next week), and if you're anal about balancing the blades, as I am, they are nothing but a whiiiissssh above our berth.

We have MAJOR amp consumption; see their website KISS High Ouput wind generator | svHotWire which shows:

"Output: 2 amps @ 8 knots, 4 amps @ 10 knots, 10 amps @ 15 knots, 18 amps at 20 knots, 30 amps at 30 knots. Note: There are little in the way of standards for measuring output. Some manufacturers use 12 volts for their power curve, and so it looks like you will get about 20% more power. Some use a “Raliegh Distribution”, a mathematical device that assumes the wind is puffing and lulling, and because the increased wind puts out a lot more power than the lull looses, the curve can be made to show more power than you should expect to actually get. We use a truck with a stand to mount the generator on. It looks a little wacky, but you can expect to get the power we say you will."

Our personal experience is better on the low end; we get a couple of amps at 4-6 knots. Seeing the meter peg at 30 is one of my more exciting moments!

D400 probably is quieter in overall high winds, but the inability to service, the cost and weight, all conspire to keep it off our boat.

If it were free/given to me, I =might= install it, but the weight, up on our arch, above the solar panels, might be a challenge...

L8R

Skip
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
Follow us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheFlyingPigLog
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 09:03   #9

Boat: Nauticat 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot17 View Post
I am looking at buying a West Marine wind turbine generator. The model I am looking at is the RDK 400 watt wind turbine. Does anyone have any info on what is the most quiet wind turbine on the market right now?
I don't know about the model you are asking about.

I wanted to mention our boat came with a KISS Wind Gen installed and compared to the Air Marine models I've had on 2 previous boats, the KISS is silent. I suspect KISS is still one of the simplest, cheapest and quietest models available.

Also, Practical Sailor recently published the results of their evaluation of 6 wind gen models.

Have fun with your research.

Short on opinions; focused on research, facts & experience [yours and ours...]
wrwakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 09:05   #10

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post

I concur; installed a D400 Stealth about 5 years ago and runs great.
Micro Wind Turbines manufactured by Eclectic Energy Ltd
Extremely quiet and turns when others don't. Causes a lot of interest from others boaters.
I get 20 amps with 20-25kt wind; whereas, my two 130w solar panels give 12-15 amps total on a good day and nothing at night.
Old 19-06-2015, 09:21   #11

Boat: Rafiki 37

I looked long and hard at the D400 before purchasing the SilentWind. I might have gone that way, except for the cost and the weight. They are very as heavy compared to most others. But they are quiet, and every owner I know seems happy with them. I would definitely consider them if cost and weight are no issue.

The SilentWind doesn't get moving until about 8 knots. By 12 knots it's starting to produce around 2-3 amps, and by 15 knots we're up to around 4-5 amps. From there the power curve really takes off. By 18 knots we're seeing close to 10 amps and by 27 knots it's into the 20 amp range. On windy days I can't burn all the power we get. And the nice thing about a windgen is it can generate power 24 hrs. Even at lower windspeeds (amps), this can result in a lot of power going back into the batteries.

One comment on noise. I inherited an old Air-X with our current boat. We ran it for a few years before it's internal regulator died. It produced similar output to the SilentWind, but was many factors more noisy. Screamed like a Banshee is an apt description. I was very happy
Old 19-06-2015, 11:07   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgundlach View Post
Our KISS is entirely user-serviceable (I just replaced the bearings after 10 years, and am about to replace the thermo cutouts, next week), and if you're anal about balancing the blades, as I am, they are nothing but a whiiiissssh above our berth.

We have MAJOR amp consumption; see their website KISS High Ouput wind generator | svHotWire which shows:

"Output: 2 amps @ 8 knots, 4 amps @ 10 knots, 10 amps @ 15 knots, 18 amps at 20 knots, 30 amps at 30 knots. Note: There are little in the way of standards for measuring output. Some manufacturers use 12 volts for their power curve, and so it looks like you will get about 20% more power. Some use a “Raliegh Distribution”, a mathematical device that assumes the wind is puffing and lulling, and because the increased wind puts out a lot more power than the lull looses, the curve can be made to show more power than you should expect to actually get. We use a truck with a stand to mount the generator on. It looks a little wacky, but you can expect to get the power we say you will."

Our personal experience is better on the low end; we get a couple of amps at 4-6 knots. Seeing the meter peg at 30 is one of my more exciting moments!

D400 probably is quieter in overall high winds, but the inability to service, the cost and weight, all conspire to keep it off our boat.

If it were free/given to me, I =might= install it, but the weight, up on our arch, above the solar panels, might be a challenge...

L8R

Skip
Hi Skip - the KISS weighs around 10kg-vs-17kg for the D400. Our old KISS started to generate noise and vibration somewhere around 25knots. Our D400 is free of these regardless of wind speed. We had a couple of occassions when the KISS unit tied itself in knots and performed several 360 degree's after snapping its tether (likely due to UV) and disconnected internally. Both units are good wind generators - but for us the D400 is just that bit better. As for maintenance, both the slip rings and the brushes can be accessed. Ours are both a couple of years old and have performed sterling duty - it is normal to arise in the morning to full batteries - and if it was a quite night, we then have 3x 340 watt solar panels awaiting their turn. We are fortunate to rarely have a power issue.
Old 19-06-2015, 11:25   #13

A couple of decades ago, Arrhenius (sp?) rotors were all the rage; they were "the next big thing" in wind power turbines. Obviously that didn't bear as much fruit as its developers hoped. My impression was that they had a higher minimum wind speed for activation.

Having said that, it still seems they might have some inherent benefits aboard sailing vessels, yet I've never seen one. Anybody else?
Old 19-06-2015, 12:42   #14

They are not truly quiet when you are in bed.
Nice to know that the amps are coming inhowever.

Be aware some models can really shake the boat if not properly mounted.
Some call it vibration. LOL.
Old 19-06-2015, 12:44   #15

Boat: Bénéteau 423

I second the vote for the Spreco Silentwind. No wind generator is totally quiet, but the Silentwind comes about as close as you can get. The blades themselves (where other generators make the most noise) are indeed just a soft whooshing sound, apparently from their stiff carbon fiber construction. However, the alternator will "sing" once it starts producing power. It's not an unpleasant sound. When the wind picks up the singing becomes dual toned, but again, it is not annoying.

The Spreco people make blades to fit some other manufacturer's generators, because people will spend the money to fit Spreco's blades, so you know they have to be quiet.

I had the Spreco controller go bad on me 2 years after I had purchased it in St. Maarten. I brought it in to the Miami repair depot and they replaced it no questions asked, even though I had lost the original receipt. That was impressive.

In my opinion solar panels are the most important power gatherer, but wind generators do have a place as well, especially in the trade winds. They are comlimentary.

domander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, wind

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: