Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2014, 12:13   #1

Question on charging batteries

Hi there,

I will install a Watt&Sea (Cruising 600W) Hydrogenerator next week and have the following question:

To the time being I have 3 batteries as my house bank. All are 108Ah Vetus (lead-calcium).
Two are in parallel, the third is single. I addition I have a 1/2/BOTH/OFF switch. I have the switch mostly in the BOTH position (so all 3 batteries are in parallel than).

The converter for the generator (Cruising converter - regulator 12 or 24 V) has two separte outputs to charge two house banks.

Is there a benefit to use the two outputs? One output charging the 2x108Ah batteries, one charging the single 108Ah battery?

(Later this year I will replace the 3x 108Ah batteries with a 400Ah Winston LiFePO4 bank but will start with the 3 lead-calcium batteries now).

Thanks for your advise!

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 12:27   #2

Re: Question on charging batteries

Assuming you have a separate starting battery I don't really see a point to that battery switch. One 300 ah bank seems reasonable. If the second output is totally separate makes sense that it could go to the starting battery to keep it topped up.
SV Lift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 12:38   #3

Re: Question on charging batteries

Quote:
Assuming you have a separate starting battery
Yes I have ...

Quote:
I don't really see a point to that battery switch
Me neither but the switch was there when I bought the boat ;-). Will remove the switch when I install the LiFePO4 bank.

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging