Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2016, 06:30   #1

PVC For Horizontal Cable Runs?

Any reason not to use PVC to support horizontal cable runs?

Thanks
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 06:32   #2

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: PVC For Horizontal Cable Runs?

None. PVC works great for cable runs
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 06:39   #3

Boat: Shopping

PVC pipe? I thought cabling on boats had to be supported frequently (16"?) to prevent chafe from vibration. Is that concern satisfied by installing the cabling in a conduit?
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 06:48   #4

Boat: Currently in between

I would agree with Cotemar but I believe he and I are both assuming you're talking inside out of UV rays?

Second thing I would add is think about some type of cap on each end, think conduit, with rounded edges to eliminate chafe.

Final thing, FWIW, we are looking at a Leopard 45 and the owner (an electrician) rewired the entire boat. He mentioned he tried to pull a wire (existing) from a chase (some type of conduit or run) only to find the builder had apparently wrapped or tied the entire bundle. He couldn't pull an old wire out or pull a new wire through! Think about the future when you set this up. Maybe consider a 2nd piece of PVC, if you have the room, as the stuff is so cheap and leave it empty with just a messenger. Might make your life easier 5 years down the road!
Old 23-11-2016, 06:49   #5

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontop View Post
PVC pipe? I thought cabling on boats had to be supported frequently (16"?) to prevent chafe from vibration. Is that concern satisfied by installing the cabling in a conduit?
Correct for open spaces, but when wires are confined in a pipe all is well.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 02:31   #6

Boat: Hanse 505

If you ever need to get a messenger line through a conduit (works best when there are no other wires) use a vacuum and suck it through. I have done this with 200 foot long underground runs. A short run in a boat would be a snap.
SausalitoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 03:18   #7

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SausalitoDave View Post
If you ever need to get a messenger line through a conduit (works best when there are no other wires) use a vacuum and suck it through. I have done this with 200 foot long underground runs. A short run in a boat would be a snap.
Neat trick!

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 04:52   #8

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Neat trick!
Often called a "mouse". Tie a piece of foam to the end of a messenger line. Be sure the line is clear to run free because it will go fast when you flip on the vaccum.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 05:04   #9

Boat: 1978 Lancer 30 MkIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Often called a "mouse". Tie a piece of foam to the end of a messenger line. Be sure the line is clear to run free because it will go fast when you flip on the vaccum.
I use a scrap of thin plastic, say the corner of a grocery bag, knotted to the pull string. Really anything lightweight enough for a vacuum to "grab" will work.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Rock-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 05:20   #10

Where there is a flat enough run such as through a locker or storage area a pvc pipe cut in half with a screw through it works well to organize a hand full of loose wiring the trick is to have a long enough screw to allow you to tuck the wires under without the screw coming disengaged to prevent piercing a wire
On the interior the pvc can be sanded and painted and in one case I used a 90% to turn a corner Looked much better than the plastic conduit with zip tie and screws
This is so much easier when running a new wire through conduit and cutting all the zip ties every time you add a new wire
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 06:15   #11

Boat: Camano Troll

PVC conduit is fine for running electrical cables. It still needs to be supported well because it will sag if it gets hot and is brittle when it gets cold.

If you are using PVC conduit for running electrical cables, go to the electrical section of the home center and buy PVC electrical conduit (grey). The fittings are cured, not 90 degrees so you can pull the wires through. Also (and important), you can buy flexible PVC electrical conduit that can be connected to the straight sections.

Buy the boxes and fittings to terminate the ends or branch off and you're set.

BTW: You can bend PVC conduit with a heat gun. It's a bit tricky but it can be done. You have to get it hotter than you might think and you have to spread the heat out over foot or more depending on the size. Practice on a spare piece.
Old 26-11-2016, 06:20   #12

When our 1978 Cal 39 was built they used PVC pipe for wire conduit and it has worked well for all these years.

There are two pipes running up each side of the hull, just below the hull/deck flange. The pipes start at the rear, close to the electrical panel, and run forward to the anchor locker bulkhead. They used 1.5" pipe for the 12 volt wiring and 1" pipe for the 120 volt wiring. In the vicinity of lights, electrical outlets, etc. they cut holes in the pipe for wiring dropouts. The holes are well smoothed so there is no chafe on the wire, and they ran messenger strings for additions later on.

Well protected and up out of the bilge......

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 06:23   #13

Boat: Camano Troll

Condulets are more appropriate for wiring dropouts.
Old 26-11-2016, 07:24   #14

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

I have installed a full 10ft length of 1 1/2" pvc pipe from the aft cabin to the head on the port side and the fwd stateroom on the stbd side on my Gemini cat which give plenty of room for all electrical runs and my pex waterlines. Very easy to feed extra wiring as needed.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote