Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2014, 19:59   #46
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Pulled the trigger on 4 x 100w flexible panels and a Morningstar TS-MPPT-60

eBay and PayPal often speak with forked tongues. They no longer allow customers to ship FOB (even if the buyer and seller agree to it) and according to their reps and rules, the seller is responsible for shipping damage and loss at all times, and must prove delivery to the buyer. Abandoning a box on the doorstep does not constitute delivery, in some opinions. Different carriers have different policies on that, because "delivery" doesn't mean "abandon". So, there's certainly reason to pursue this with eBay and PayPal and explain to their semi-literate support staff that if a package was left on the street, that's not "delivery" according to the carriers. Heck, some of them won't even leave a package unless you specifically sign a release for that.

eBay is very much aware that there are professional eBay scammers out there, and I've even been advised to MAKE A VIDEO while packaging things, to prove that I wasn't shipping an empty box! Yes, people do that too, and not just with eBay.

UPS and FedEx and the USPS all also offer "leave at depot" type services. With the USPS it is shipping to "general delivery" at a post office (not postal station), with UPS and FedEx it is "hold at depot" and that can be a depot or a store that sells their shipping. So if you can't be home to receive things...there are other options. Although, Catch-22, eBay may not want that because it isn't a "Paypal verified" address.

There are still reasons to use a credit card, where "it was never delivered" can result in a chargeback and refund.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 20:04   #47

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

autumnbreeze27 - Its pretty obvious you have limited experience buying stuff on the Internet... Local PD.. HAHAHA. That is super funny..

Anyway.. Here is some real advise to help you...

Ebay (and Paypal) have a very good process for creating a dispute. Use the help feature on those sites and start the process... Then calm down, remain patient and don't send any stupid e-mails or phone calls to the seller (ebay will ask the seller for all communication). The dispute process will take around 30 days. If the seller cannot prove the item was delivered to you (with a signature) then your money will be refunded. Simple.

Stuff happens, sometimes the post screws up and packages get delivered elsewhere.. Not the sellers fault and a process exists to deal with it. Based on your posts, I think you are being unreasonable.

Just an FYI, I would have zero problems purchasing from that seller at this point.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 20:08   #48

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

P.S. If you get no where with Paypal or Ebay, then you can always call your credit card company and refute the charges. This will require that you fill out a fairly lengthy document and swear that what you say it true. I have been %100 successful with getting the charges reversed this way.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 20:36   #49

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

It isn't just Ebay sellers. My Grandson's xmas present from Amazon was shown by USPS as delivered to Iowa, but in reality it was delivered to Alabama! Fortunately the recipient was honest and tracked down my daughter's email address and emailed her that he received the present in error. Amazon stonewalled my daughter and me until she forwarded the email.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:41   #50

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

Like the disney song goes... Let it go... let it go... I got bigger fish to fry. Still need to find a replacement for my wires... a non-ebay replacement.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:02   #51

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
Like the disney song goes... Let it go... let it go... I got bigger fish to fry. Still need to find a replacement for my wires... a non-ebay replacement.
You list SoCal as home, so if you are in San Diego I would suggest San Diego Marine Exchange on Shelter Island Drive or West Marine on Rosecrans. I just completed running all new wire for my solar panels and installing a new MPPT controller this past weekend. Both of the these locations had all the wire I needed. San Diego Marine Exchange's sister business Downwind Marine had the waterproof connectors (Buccaneer) I used to attach the panels to the wire runs.

If you want go the mail-order route then any of major marine outlets would have quality marine tinned wire - Defender, Jamestown Distributors, Fisheries Supply, etc.

Might check Compass Marine website that is run by user Maine Sail or Maine Sail posts. He listed a number a number of quality marine wire suppliers in a post at some point and it may be on the website as well.

Regards
Marc Hall
www.svcrazyfish.com
MarcHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:24   #52
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Ebay (and Paypal) have a very good process for creating a dispute. "
Generally yes, but their use of overseas call centers and overseas boiler rooms means that it also helps to use small words, repeat them frequently, and remember that "yes yes" only means "I am hearing you" not "agreed" in much of the world.

The best customer support that a global minimum wage can buy.
Old 11-05-2014, 21:17   #53

I guess I forgot to post here, but I let it go.

Anyone who buys anything from podiumline1226 is a moron. What pisses me off the most is not only am I out ~$120, but I can't even leave negative feedback to warn other people because they just have ebay remove it.

So take ebay feedback with a grain of salt. I was willing to let it go, that they screwed me out of $120, but when ebay removed my feedback, well, let's just say my feedback will be heard.

BTW I've been ebaying a long time and I know the rules. I typically only buy with credit card funds but I've been selling everything because we're moving on to the boat, so I had a balance. But even if I charged it they probably would have won the chargeback because USPS marked it delivered.

The big issue here is podiumline1226 failing to communicate. They could have helped me get my money back by filing a USPS insurance claim. But instead they just turtled. Sounds shady to me.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:01   #54

I guess you are calling me a moron. I'll buy from them again.
jseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 13:54   #55

Call yourself what you like. I would never buy from somebody who ripped off another forum member. Who knows how many other negative feedbacks they've received and had wiped out using their game?

and just to make sure google finds this -- we're talking about me being ripped off by podiumline1226, who was recommended by jseas, maybe there's a relation?
Old 12-05-2014, 14:24   #56
Zil

I feel your pain. Ebay is not what it was. I use paypal to help with insuring i get what i pay for. But ebay favors their vendors over customers. and paypal is ebay.
i haven't had too many problems with USPS, but some.
Fedex has consistantly delivered my packages to a same street address in the wrong town. I couldn't get them to correct the problem because google map said they were right.
And just a word for ETV Motor works. He is long winded. He does make his profit. But he is knowledgeable and shares, and honest. EVTV Motor Verks - Electric Car Conversion Videos
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 15:26   #57

Let's see, I'm in NC and Podiumline1226 is in California. They had no problem sending their product all the way across the county to me. Next time, type your address correct or do your own leg work. It is up to the postal service to find your package and reimburse you not the seller. They probably told you that but that wasn't good enough for you. Maybe you were cheap and didn't get the insurance. Furthermore there is no way for negative feedback to be removed. Not only are you spreading false information about this seller, but you are spreading false information about ebay.

In fact I hope google search bring people to this page. Podiumline1226 has the best solar wiring at the best prices on ebay. It is not their fault this guy has a bad postman. It is also not their fault that he did not insure it. It is not their fault if it was stolen, set on fire, or defecated on once the tracking says "delivered".

Three times you have asked if there is some relationship between me and Podium1226. I'll answer you again for the third time, there is not. You sound like a sailing curmudgeon or maybe one of those conspiracy theorist to me.
Old 12-05-2014, 16:47   #58
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

" It is up to the postal service to find your package and reimburse you not the seller. "

Actually, no.

eBay does not allow FOB shipping, so the seller contracts with the carrier and the carrier's insurance pays the SELLER never the recipient.

It is all on the seller, to reimburse the buyer (as currently required by eBay, regardless of the shipping terms) and it is the seller's problem to recover from the carrier. Or not, if they've not insured it.
Old 12-05-2014, 17:24   #59

That is correct if the package is not delivered and is considered lost by the common carrier. If every package that's marked as delivered is still the sellers responsibility, then you would have people saying they never got their 65" TV....please send me another one!

Sellers do not contract with common carriers. FOB is for contracted deliveries.
Old 12-05-2014, 20:10   #60
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"then you would have people saying they never got their 65" TV....please send me another one!"
And in fact that is one of many shipping scams practiced in many places, including eBay. That's why eBay said to videotape (!) actually packing the shipment, because they've had a significant number of people complain of receiving empty boxes, or boxes with paperweights [sic] in them.

"Sellers do not contract with common carriers. FOB is for contracted deliveries. "
Ah, no. If I, as the seller, ship via a carrier, I have contracted with that carrier. Common or otherwise. FOB means "Free on board" and refers to a seller using the buyer's shipping agent, and relinquishing all responsibility once the "freight on board" or "free on board" has been transferred to the buyer's contracted agent.

The ONLY relevant difference between FOB and traditional shipping, is who has contracted with the shipper, who's agent the shipper is. If I ship your order on my FedEx or UPS or USPS account, they are my agent. If you place a pickup order with the same carriers, on your account, and they pick up the same box from me, then it is FOB and once I hand it over, I'm out of the relationship.

If you have a commercial account with UPS or FedEx you may get a 25-30% discount off the 'rack' rate. And with a motor freight company you may get a 50% discount off the rack rate. So there are good reasons why a buyer might want goods shipped FOB, on their own account with their chosen agent (shipping company).

Personally I'd rather ship FOB, and let the buyer decide what service they want, what they are going to pay, and how they want it delivered. The phrase "Not my problem" makes it really attractive to a shipper.

But eBay doesn't allow FOB, even if the auction listing specifies it and both parties prefer, choose, and agree to it. eBay says that in all cases, the seller is responsible for shipping, breakage, and loss in transit. In direct contradiction to the way business is, and always has been, done in the US. At least, that's what their boiler room "customer service" staff insists.

Tags
mppt, panels