Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2016, 00:11   #1

Protecting connections and plugs against corrosion

Whenever I clean or change a connector, I often wonder how I could preserve the electric conduction to last longer (more reliable, less resistance).

Using contact cleaner surely helps make contact - but it also removes all oil.

Is it as simple as soaking connections in grease like vaseline or Fluid Film, to keep it from corroding?

Obviously in the order of clean - install/connect - grease.

Sorry if this is basic knowlege, I am just curious what other boaters do (saltwater environment)

Thank you.
DITB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 00:46   #2

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Re: Protecting connections and plugs against corrosion

After cleaning, I reassemble every electrical connection with Noalox, Oxgard or Caulgel, or a similar product. In a pinch, I'll use bearing grease.
Any of these help seal out moisture and aid in disassembly later. Vaseline can be used in a pinch, but it melts at very low temperatures and tends to loose effectiveness. For tight oring sealed connectors, a judicious amount of liquid dishwashing soap on the oring itself works wonders...

jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 01:03   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
After cleaning, I reassemble every electrical connection with Noalox, Oxgard or Caulgel, or a similar product. In a pinch, I'll use bearing grease.
Any of these help seal out moisture and aid in disassembly later. Vaseline can be used in a pinch, but it melts at very low temperatures and tends to loose effectiveness. For tight oring sealed connectors, a judicious amount of liquid dishwashing soap on the oring itself works wonders...

[URL="http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja &uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjn2c7Js_7KAhUKOyYKHfTZAr4QjRwIB w&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jeepforum.com%2Fforum%2Ff11 %2Ffrequent-loss-connection-w-gauges-no-bus-1449020%2Findex5.html&psig=AFQjCNF7O2vx-pDspg0nVNhIKB23SRMxdQ&ust=1455784892172305"]
Just the kind of answer I was looking for, thank you jimbunyard
DITB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 03:55   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Try silicon grease like Dow Corning No.4.
Although listed as a dielectric grease (ie insulating), it is a very low pressure grease which means in effect, that it will squeeze out between the contacts allowing for a true metal to metal contact.

I use it on all connectors / contacts on board as well as previously at work on flying boats and seaplanes.

There are better / more exotic contact preservers but DC 4 is a good all round waterproof contact sealers.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 04:09   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

DC-4, Been using it for years, will even slip the end of a just cut and trimmed wire in it prior to crimping if its a wire going into the bilge.
It's just silicone grease, you can buy it called "lightbulb" grease in auto parts stores, used to be used a lot in boat trailer lights.

Your out of order for what I do, I clean, grease then connect, as opposed to grease after connection.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 04:19   #6

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Do not use anything in an antenna connector-VHF,PL259,etc. It creates a short for RF.
Unless someone has come up with a proven compound that has proven totally di-electric at R freqencies that am unaware of. Even then,I would be concerned about impurities,condensation,etc after time.
Best to seal these connections with self amalgamating rubber tape & a coat of liquid tape over that.
Just my experience.

Cheers/ Len
Old 17-02-2016, 08:07   #7

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Do not use anything in an antenna connector-VHF,PL259,etc. It creates a short for RF.
Unless someone has come up with a proven compound that has proven totally di-electric at R freqencies that am unaware of. Even then,I would be concerned about impurities,condensation,etc after time.
Best to seal these connections with self amalgamating rubber tape & a coat of liquid tape over that.
Just my experience.

Cheers/ Len
In wire connections, I use heat shrinking crimp connectors by Ancor: make a proper crimp, then apply heat and the ends of the connector shrink. Then I get the glue-lined heat shrink tubing (which you have to put on before the crimp, clearly), position the tubing, the length of which should overlap both ends of the cooled-down crimp connector, and use a heat gun (carefully) to shrink it on.

That could get submerged without failing, although I wouldn't test it destructively!

Loads of pictures of these techniques here: http://alchemy2009.blogspot.ca/2014/...terminals.html
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 08:26   #8

Boat: Cape Dory 27D

Quote:
Originally Posted by DITB View Post
Whenever I clean or change a connector, I often wonder how I could preserve the electric conduction to last longer (more reliable, less resistance).

Using contact cleaner surely helps make contact - but it also removes all oil.

Is it as simple as soaking connections in grease like vaseline or Fluid Film, to keep it from corroding?

Obviously in the order of clean - install/connect - grease.

Sorry if this is basic knowlege, I am just curious what other boaters do (saltwater environment)

Thank you.
I second NOALOX - you can also use it on any and all other fittings, screws, pop rivets, connectors ect that you may someday want to remove. This stuff was developed to keep aluminum wiring from oxidizing when connected to copper wiring. Super at its intended purpose and also at keeping other different potential metal connections from oxidizing.
MCOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 09:40   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

I use Fluid Film - and use on just about everything to prevent corrosion. It also acts a release agent on nuts/bolts etc. We use it liberally on many things as it not only protects electrical connections - it is used on my tools, outboard engines, all over my electrical connections including the solar panels and instruments, electronics, etc etc. I love the stuff and also use it where I once used WD-40.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 09:54   #10

Boat: Kadey Krogen 39

Another vote for Dow Corning No.4. It is much used in aviation for this sort of thing, as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Dow-Corning-El...=dow+corning+4
muttskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 10:47   #11

Boat: Ganley Transition 41 (corten steel )

Hi There

The best product to use use in the marine environment is Lanocote. I use it on all electrical fittings, anchor chain , everything. It will no break down over over time as all other products do, it is totally natural and made from sheep skin oil. It comes in a spray and a jelly.
ski69sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 11:10   #12

All these are good, I use Boeing T-9. Assemble the parts, then spray and don't wipe off. Used in aircraft assembly. I've used it for years, no problems with attracting dirt.

Dave
Rough Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 11:22   #13

Boat: Albin Vega 27

Another vote for DC4 (Dow Corning No.4). I've been using it in the aviation field for 25 years, especially on seaplanes. Works great. Lots of other uses as well such as "O" ring lubricant and rubber seal lubricant. Check out its specs on the Dow Corning website, you'll be impressed.
alaskaflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 11:44   #14

If its a plug connection that you want to be able to unplug. The Dow corning above is great. Dow Corning DC-4 Electrical Insulating Compound 5.3oz Tube

We have a particular sensitive connection in a sonar unit at work, a 2 pin plug male / female that lives at around 100 fathoms deep. We use the DC-4 around the pins and clean all the excess off. we then put a thin layer of liquid electrical tape on the rubber mating surfaces and join together. Then a thin coat of Liq Electrcal tape around the seam. Once set up you need to apply a little pressure and a razor knife to break the bond but it doesn't destroy the plug. The liq electrical tape is nasty and almost alway makes a mess.
Cruisingscotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 12:12   #15

Boat: 2010 Leopard 46

Would you use the same compounds for connectors on phones and tablets?

And what do you recommend to clean after corrosion? I have an earphone jack on one phone and the charging/usb connector on another that have corroded.

thanks
Pat
Looking4Neptune is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corrosion, plug, rot