Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 08:05   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Proposed "Easy" LiFeP04 Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
After you've driven a Bentley, BMW or a Porsche, would you go back to a Yugo? If you've sailed a (Oops, better not go there!) Steve
Yes but battery technology hasn't changed much since the Iraqi's invented it about 250 BC. Two metals and some acid

Pete the ludite
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 17:55   #17

Boat: DeFever 44
I don't know anything about the battery you had in your link, besides the data there. But in general, my research indicated that using generic cells and some sort of at least a monitoring system, if not a BMS was more cost effective.

I have a several page PDF on the process and options at:

http://marazuladventures.wordpress.c...-and-research/

Will try to follow the thread and help if I can.

Bob
ebaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 22:45   #18

Boat: between boats
Thanks Bob

If i was closer to the boat than the current 12000 miles i would try and assemble the banks and bms myself per your site which is great by the way.

For now though the company has some question marks on performance so im still looking around for a drop in style solution. Failing that its back to crappy agm and ill have another go when they die in 4 years( at which point lifepo will be the norm i expect)

Thanks
Barra
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:55   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Barra, why are your AGMs failing at 4 years? are they left unattended for lengthy periods whilst you are out of country?

I think Lifepo are interesting, but like IT software I am not prepared to be a test bed for manufacturers. They can sort out all the problems and bring the price down before I think about buying in.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:20   #20

Pete

Not yet sure why the last agms failed as was not my boat for 3 and half of the 4 years. It was left on hard for most of the time before i bought it but with 400 watts of solar that shouldnt have been an issue i would have thought...

Agree it would be more ideal to wait for more advances in the installation etc but i need to replace the dead agms now so this is my decision time. The smart battery website looks good spec and price wise but im lead to believe they wont necessarily deliver on it so unless i was closer to them physically probably wont go that way.
Old 09-03-2013, 14:04   #21
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Barra, why are your AGMs failing at 4 years? are they left unattended for lengthy periods whilst you are out of country?

I think Lifepo are interesting, but like IT software I am not prepared to be a test bed for manufacturers. They can sort out all the problems and bring the price down before I think about buying in.

Pete
Li tech is now years old, and in mass use for at least 5 years. What exact " test bed" are you waiting for. ( Or " problems to be solved " ) Its a tested technology that's just a little bit different then LA. it's not rocket science.

Dave
Old 09-03-2013, 19:15   #22

Im not sure its that well established dave. I am a willing buyer yet unless i spend $20 an amp with mastervolt or DIY a system (which cant be done at great distance) its looking like it cant be done for now in france at least
Old 10-03-2013, 03:14   #23

Boat: Valiant 50

Barra... dont give up... get yourself 4 x 100AH cells in Oz, have a practice with them. Then plan your system and go for it. And get the Clean Power BMS - they are reasonably priced and good to practice with.

Don't give up.. the LFP naysayers are the equivalent of the flat earthers.. they are afraid of the unknown.

Ask ebaugh (Bob) for advice and help as you go along and look at the other forum and ask T1 Terry for advice (he is somewhere in NSW).

Feel free to PM or email me - I can pass on what I have done, but for sure, I am no expert....

FLA/AGM make no sense - LFP simply require a different mindset, there is nothing to fear.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:04   #24

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

What Neelie said. +1.

I love my boat's lithiums, and when the house's solar backup system batteries go (they're 12 years old) they're getting replaced with LiFePo4's for sure.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 17:35   #25

Thanks for the encouragement guys - im not giving up just yet - still got 2 months to sort it all out.

Im already bringing a 30kg parasailor with me on the next trip so thats my extra luggage allowance used up. Would have to ship these batts then and knowing french beaurocracy as i already do i can see headaches looming from here!

Thanks Guys

Tags
installation