Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2011, 06:56   #1
tsl

Boat: O'Day 39
Propane generator for back up???

I'm setting up a 40 foot boat for cruising the great lakes , east coast and on to the Bahamas. The boat has a 400 watt AirX marine wind generator. We intend to stay out of the marinas as much as possible. I have a few questions:
Is the air x any good? It came with the boat. Should I replace it?

I have a small 2000 watt propane generator I use to power tools to work on the boat as it is on the hard. I'm thinking of using it as a backup power source when the time comes when we leave something on all night and drain all batteries. (hey.. we're new at this , it's going to happen)
I would not hook it up permanently just stow it and dig it out when needed. I'd run it on the deck off our propane supply for our stove and BBQ.
Next question, It's not going to like the salt and humidity, Anyone know how best to protect it?
tsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 09:22   #2

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: Propane generator for back up???

A lot of us carry the Honda 2000 watt generators on board/ We will let ours run out of gas and leave it on deck to air out.

Propane generators usually get good fuel consumption, burn clean, and engine stays cleaner on the inside. I have a 7.5 Kw Kohler propane generator pn our Motor home, you just have to watch the hour meter to do oil changes as the oil doesn't really change color.
Using it on deck will not be a problem...
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator