Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2016, 13:01   #1

Boat: Allied 39
ProNautic / Sterling 1240P Charger issue

I have a ProNautic 1240P (Identical to a Sterling 1240P) and have been experiencing problems with it switching to float mode after about 1 hour regardless of the amount of output from the charger. In many cases the charger is putting out 20-22+ amps. at the time it drops to float.

I then have to switch the darn thing off and back on again. It will then continue to run with max amps at 14.7 until I decide to turn it off.

Not such a big issue when hooked to dock power but we have not been in a dock in 4+ years and run our charger using a Honda 1000. So by switching to float it becomes very frustrating if I don't constantly monitor the charger.

Has anyone else experienced this type of problem?

Have written to ProNautic tech support in 2014 with this info:

Batteries are < than 6 months old. Installed in Panama City in Feb 2014 from a new shipment.

All batteries are coming out of the same manufacturing date

Battery Brand Interstate 6V deep cycle

Equalized date: May 15th

Water level: checked every 2 weeks and added as needed

Batteries are slow to charge.

I always try to only use about 15-20% of the 460 Amp hrs. per day

Try to charge back up till charger shows less than 10 amps

Because we have solar and wind power ProNautic tech support thought it might be the cause of it. BUT have found the same issue when both solar and wind are turned off.

Recently wrote to ProNautic again and awaiting a reply

Suggestions?

Thank You

Chuck
Jacaranda
Marquesas, French Polynesia
chouliha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 15:08   #2

Boat: Corbin 39
Re: ProNautic / Sterling 1240P Charger issue

I too have the same charger that is newly installed. I haven't experienced your problem, but have had plenty of problems with customer service.

They are very arrogant and aren't bothered by having a few unhappy customers.

My problem is with the remote control/display not being able to change charging parameters. They first told me that it's just a display and I shouldn't need to change any parameters with it anyway. When I told them that their manual directly says that it can control all functions the same as the front of the charger they said they were aware of that, but had no plans to change anything. Unfortunately I already cut a hole in my teak to mount this display that I now can't use.

You problem could be like finding a needle in a hay stack. It could very well be a programing glitch that they my just be to lazy to deal with in your case. I wonder what would happen if you tried using the custom program option set to your same charging voltage. That might be a good place to start in the process of eliminating things
toddedger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 15:24   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Chuck,

The fix is simple. Create a custom profile for generator charging where absorption is 14.X volts and float is 0.1 volt less... Lots of chargers do premature floatulation (lawyers) but the ProNautic gives you a way around that with the custom program. Just revert back to the other program when on shore...
Old 19-03-2016, 17:26   #4

Thanks to both of you for the suggestion.

I have switched to custom setting and at first set the absorb to 14.8V and the float to 14.7V. When saved and in operation the voltage showed 14.5 on absorb (22 amps). I then went back in and set the absorb to 14.9V and float to 14.8V. Now when operating the absorb voltage shows 14.7.

This has been another issue since day one. The voltage programmed was always about .2 less than what it should have been. This is viewing on the charger led voltage screen

On a side note I find there is quite a bit of difference between the two vendors operations manuals. Finding some items on the sterling manual and others on the ProNautic manual... Go figure

Will monitor this closely over the next few days and report back while we are still in wifi range.
Old 19-03-2016, 17:59   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I believe voltage will be off a little from set point if you have the battery temp sensor hooked up.
If it's lower than set point I'm guessing your where it's warm?

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 20:50   #6

Yes it's warm. Great point thank you!

Chuck

www.jacarandajourney.com
Old 20-03-2016, 07:36   #7

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddedger View Post
They are very arrogant and aren't bothered by having a few unhappy customers.

My problem is with the remote control/display not being able to change charging parameters. They first told me that it's just a display and I shouldn't need to change any parameters with it anyway. When I told them that their manual directly says that it can control all functions the same as the front of the charger they said they were aware of that, but had no plans to change anything. Unfortunately I already cut a hole in my teak to mount this display that I now can't use.
Have the same issue with the remote on my Pro Nautica 1250. There is a static display of voltage and current or a scrolling display of all the available data. The charger is located in a very convenient place for the batteries, but very inconvenient for humans. I had hoped that the remote would allow for changing the charge settings and monitoring the charger's performance. Guess I only got half of what I purchased.

Once the boat is back in the water, I'll call tech support and inquire. Maybe if enough people call and post less than complimentary comments, they'll be more responsive.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 08:18   #8

Boat: Corbin 39

I downloaded the manual before I purchased the charger and remote, just to make sure it would do what I wanted.

The manual says "Note; All remote modes/functions are identical to those described by using the on-charger controls"

By pressing the setup/enter button for 5 secones you should be able to select battery type, but included with the remote was an addendum that states, pushing setup/enter for 3 seconds putts you in the language mode. (A much more important feature to be able to choose Languages over battery type from the remote LOL. )

You should also be able to scroll to battery type and change it with the up down arrows, but when at battery type the arrow keys won't work.

I suggested a program update and they told me it was not possible to make the remote do what the manual says it will do. They said they were aware and talked about it, yet after all the years this charger has been out, they still haven't changed the false wording in the manual.

When I told them I was extremely disappointed and would be writing a bad review, they offered to send me pair of Pronautic Binoculars to help me see things their way.
toddedger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 19:32   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chouliha View Post
I have a ProNautic 1240P (Identical to a Sterling 1240P) and have been experiencing problems with it switching to float mode after about 1 hour regardless of the amount of output from the charger. In many cases the charger is putting out 20-22+ amps. at the time it drops to float.

I then have to switch the darn thing off and back on again. It will then continue to run with max amps at 14.7 until I decide to turn it off.

Not such a big issue when hooked to dock power but we have not been in a dock in 4+ years and run our charger using a Honda 1000. So by switching to float it becomes very frustrating if I don't constantly monitor the charger.

Has anyone else experienced this type of problem?

Have written to ProNautic tech support in 2014 with this info:

Batteries are < than 6 months old. Installed in Panama City in Feb 2014 from a new shipment.

All batteries are coming out of the same manufacturing date

Battery Brand Interstate 6V deep cycle

Equalized date: May 15th

Water level: checked every 2 weeks and added as needed

Batteries are slow to charge.

I always try to only use about 15-20% of the 460 Amp hrs. per day

Try to charge back up till charger shows less than 10 amps

Because we have solar and wind power ProNautic tech support thought it might be the cause of it. BUT have found the same issue when both solar and wind are turned off.

Recently wrote to ProNautic again and awaiting a reply

Suggestions?

Thank You

Chuck
Jacaranda
Marquesas, French Polynesia

Here is the Reply from the Techs at ProNautic. Hmmmm well at least its charging
"
It sounds like the unit is charging to the correct voltages and going to the float mode. At that time, the only way current will go out of the unit is when the batteries are calling for it. Everything noted shows that the unit is functioning perfectly fine. I have attached a copy of the troubleshooting guide for your unit so you can double check if the unit is functioning properly."

Tags
charger