Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2011, 14:48   #1

Boat: Niagara 31
"Professional Mariner" Spike & Surge suppression

I have a "black box" in my engine compartment. It has "Professional Mariner" written on its surface. I suspect it's 1988 era. It also has fairly unreadable words on it, such as, "Spikes, Surges".

Does anyone have any documentation on this ? How does it work with a Smart Regulator ? (It's located near the alternator, so I guess it's working with that.)

Thanks.
macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 15:08   #2

Re: "Professional Mariner" Spike & Surge suppression

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbeth View Post
I have a "black box" in my engine compartment. It has "Professional Mariner" written on its surface. I suspect it's 1988 era. It also has fairly unreadable words on it, such as, "Spikes, Surges".

Does anyone have any documentation on this ? How does it work with a Smart Regulator ? (It's located near the alternator, so I guess it's working with that.)

Thanks.
Like the attached image?

if so contact ProMariner Home Page for info on it, as it appears to be a Alternator Noise Filter – Surge Suppressor.

From their current catalogue:

􏰀AFS-150 Alternator noise filters and surge suppressors help reduce interference, voltage surges and spikes of up to 6,500 amps to sensitive electronics, such as fishfinders, Loran-C and other navigational aids.

􏰀PL-5 Used to control alternator whine or other residual electronic noise. The unit is rated at 5 amps continuous duty on a 12V system.

􏰀LC-5 Used to filter noise on the power source to a Loran-C. Rated at 5 amps for 12V systems. Part No. 12015.

􏰀RF-10 Used to reduce noise from an engine electrical system to all communications equipment. Rated at 5 amps for 12V systems. Part No. 12010.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	delete.png
Views:	274
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	29034  
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 17:03   #3

Boat: Niagara 31
Re: "Professional Mariner" Spike & Surge suppression

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20man View Post
Like the attached image?

if so contact ProMariner Home Page for info on it, as it appears to be a Alternator Noise Filter – Surge Suppressor.

From their current catalogue:

􏰀AFS-150 Alternator noise filters and surge suppressors help reduce interference, voltage surges and spikes of up to 6,500 amps to sensitive electronics, such as fishfinders, Loran-C and other navigational aids.

􏰀PL-5 Used to control alternator whine or other residual electronic noise. The unit is rated at 5 amps continuous duty on a 12V system.

􏰀LC-5 Used to filter noise on the power source to a Loran-C. Rated at 5 amps for 12V systems. Part No. 12015.

􏰀RF-10 Used to reduce noise from an engine electrical system to all communications equipment. Rated at 5 amps for 12V systems. Part No. 12010.
I have contacted ProMariner by e-mail. My box looks like one of the smaller boxes in your picture, but the descriptions of those don't agree with what's written on the cover of mine. Maybe it's an older version of AFS-150. We'll see what ProMariner have to say.
macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote