Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2014, 15:32   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
Preventing Moisture under Flexible Panels on Bimini

I plan to install semi-flexible panels on top of my bimini with polycarbonate or coroplast backings to provide added rigidity. I’m working through the installation details now, but the plan is to create flaps on the bimini that allow the panels to either be secured with velco or with lashings to the panel grommets. I know this is an increasingly common approach and one thing I’m curious about is whether moisture buildup – either between the panel and the polycarbonate or between the polycarbonate and the bimini fabric – has been an issue?

It seems like water between the water and the polycarbonate poses the greatest risk to the solar panel so my plan is to cut the polycarbonate to the same size as the panel and either place some tape or silicone caulk around the edges to keep the water out.

Any water that manages to get between the polycarbonate and the fabric I assume will eventually dry out from the bottom since sunbrella is somewhat permeable but I can also see it being a potential breeding ground for mold. My plan is to just put the panel/polycarbonate sandwich directly on the fabric and not worry too much otherwise.

Does my approach sound reasonable? Am I overthinking this?
4arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 16:37   #2

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch
Re: Preventing Moisture under Flexible Panels on Bimini

I feel your pain. I have a hard dodger and Bimini and have 4 panels for each. One set is backed with aluminum, the other poly. I've got the zip tied in place while I debate how best to install. So far I'm leaning towArds no silicone, the top is starboard and it won't adhere.

I'm tempted to mount it with airflow underneath, to improve cooling and performance, but that sacrifices being able to walk on them without damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bimini, panels