Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-07-2010, 07:32   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Are these compressors cooling the same compartment or different compartments? Or has this question already been asked? If its the same refrigerated compartment then setting the thermostat at two different temps would make some sense. If not then buying a second inverter would make sense since such a switching device might not exist at all.
Different compartments. They are commodity refrigerator/freezer units and (currently) completely independent.

While a second inverter may be a simple solution, it doesn't make sense to me in light off the original goal. If I can't solve this theoretical startup problem, such that it becomes an actual problem, I'll just move the refrigeration loads back to the big house inverter.

Old 07-07-2010, 13:24   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 42' Bob Perry sloop
Well, all these posts later we still haven't got to it!

Had a conversation this morning with colleagues "in the business", meaning marine A/C & heating and electrical. Their take:

1. simple and very common problem
2. very simple solution.

This problem occurs frequently in large vessels as well as industrial buildings, large homes, etc.

The solution is to substitute a single compressor controller for the separate controller found on standalone units. Apparently, every major manufacturer has such a beast, i.e., a single controller unit which will control multiple compressors. These are programmable, so you can set the delay times as desired.

So, if I understand correctly, you'd connect the compressor wires from all units to a single controller, as well as the thermostats, and set the desired parameters. Say you chose a delay of 10 seconds. So, if one compressor starts up, the other(s) cannot start until at least 10 seconds later.

This way, it doesn't matter if a second unit is running or not when the first compressor needs to start. If the second is already runninig, nothing happens...the first starts as normal. It also sets a 10 second delay so that no other compressor can attempt to start during that period.

Voila....what a thing :-)

Bill

Old 07-07-2010, 15:33   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
The solution is to substitute a single compressor controller for the separate controller found on standalone units. Apparently, every major manufacturer has such a beast, i.e., a single controller unit which will control multiple compressors. These are programmable, so you can set the delay times as desired.
It sounds good, but I called the manufacturer and they didn't have such a thing. Google searches along these lines have also not yielded anything except patents and products designed for really large-scale solutions.

Tags
compressor

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: