Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2014, 18:59   #1

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana
Pre Xantrex Inverter Freedom 25 export.

Huh, another problem, maybe we were hit by lightning a few weeks ago, we thought we escaped it.

I am looking for information that will help me repair or get repaired my old November 1998 Heart Interface Freedom 25 Export Inverter Charger model 24-25E5

A Schematic diagram would help, or a Circuit Diagram, or similar experiences, or maybe someone has a board to sell.

It still charges. It does not invert. Is makes the 50Hz buzz when invert is switched on, but only 3VAC appears across the output of the FET's into the primary winding of the TX.

This is a picture of the power board where I suspect the problem lies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	923
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	93123   Click image for larger version

Name:	HeartInterfaceFreedom25-6.jpg
Views:	1186
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	93124  

Old 06-12-2014, 19:34   #2

Re: Pre Xantrex Inverter Freedom 25 export.

Bad news, I'm afraid. A friend in the UK has a F15 and his board failed, too, about at least 4 years ago. He hasn't been able to find a repair or replacement (since if someones' was working they'd keep it!). We have a F15, too, knock on wood, 1998 heart model.
I'd be interested if anyone knows differently.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 19:50   #3

Have you tried checking with Sam's photofacts?

If Xantrex won't give them to you and Sam's doesn't have them (and a google search doesn't turn them up,) there's a guy here in San Diego who is the factory authorized repair facility for this area. I went and saw his setup, well equipped to fully test out any inverter/charger, if he still repairs Heart stuff.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 20:41   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We have Xantrex Freedom 25 with Heart interface Link 2000 & Pathmaker. You could probably upgrade to this. We've been hit twice in 6 years. Both times the Xantrex & Interface were buggered up. Both times the system recovered when I pulled all battery power and made the system re-boot from totally dead. When we first got the boat, the Freedom 25 would not work. I cycled it several times and determined that contactors had been frozen but worked loose. Before you punt, make sure some

I have a manuals for all of this. They are not real helpful regarding what is inside. Its mostly like the instructions for a component stereo system & how to program etc. cover on the Freedom calls it a COMBI - Heart Interface - a Valley Forge Company. There are separate Owner's manual & Installation guide. You should be able to find them.

Best of luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4040006.jpg
Views:	1112
Size:	411.5 KB
ID:	93132  
Nicholson58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:25   #5

Socaldmax, thanks no luck there it was very interesting though, will bookmark that!
Nicholson, thanks, we have the exact same setup, except its a 2000R. The biggest problem with spares is that its a 24vDC and 220vAC and 50Hz Setup...

Have not tried cycling power to the unit...hmmmmm
Old 07-12-2014, 05:36   #6

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Have you pulled that heat sink and looked at the FET's for damage? When we were struck by lightning, we lost our Outback inverter/charger power board and one of the FET's was burned on it (actually had a hole burned in it). They are relatively easy to replace individually if needed, given their size.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:01   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Have you pulled that heat sink and looked at the FET's for damage? When we were struck by lightning, we lost our Outback inverter/charger power board and one of the FET's was burned on it (actually had a hole burned in it). They are relatively easy to replace individually if needed, given their size.

Mark
Thanks Mark, they are perfect (looking) I would have to pull them and test individually.

Without the CCT diagram, or schematic, its all trial and error, but IF I had the diagram I would be able to hit the most logical area and test by points. I think there is something amiss in the 24v supply TO the FET's , but I am guessing without having the diagram...
Old 07-12-2014, 19:31   #8

these things are getting pretty old now. I've seen and replaced lots of dead ones (natural, no strikes) I think even if you manage to fix this problem it's still on it's last legs. might be time to upgrade rather then spend a lot of time trying to find a fix.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 21:53   #9

Just an update...I fixed it, it was a welded contact on a relay...All working fine and has been for 6 months now. Dang fine old units.
Old 04-03-2017, 16:15   #10

Reviving an old thread.
I found the old problem to be the fuzzed contacts on the Potter & Brumfield relays.
I replaced them 2 years ago and all was well until a week or so ago.
The charger is tripping continually. It seems to be pulling a disproportionate amount of AC amps for the amount of DC amps being put in.

It sounds like it is fighting itself, straining, with loud buzzing.

I would be grateful for any leads to spare parts or to inverter charger gurus.
Old 06-03-2017, 19:31   #11

Well this seems its like this is my own little personal thread. With over 2000 views I thought I would post my findings in case they are useful to you.

The symptoms were that it was tripping the charge CB, making a loud buzzing noise under charge and not ramping up to full charge rather jumping to full amperage.

I spoke to Randy at the Inverter Service Center+1 615 285 0611 He said straight away that it was the TRIAC that was faulty. I confirmed this by sensing a rapid heating of the case just where the triac is fitted. See the two screws just above where it says "Heart Interface" in the picture above.

A new triac is $7.71 from Digikey.com
The part number is 497-2417-5-ND

Triacs are like a variable relay, that allow AC current to pass depending on a small signal to the gate wire. Think of it as an AC throttle, also used in Speed controls and Dimmers for stage lighting. In this application it regulates the AC going to the charger circuit to allow the three stage charge amounts.

Tags
freedom 25, inverter