Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2016, 10:56   #1

Power Source for CPAP machine

Will be crusing this summer and will be using a CPAP machien.Looking for best power source for a Resmed CPAP machine.
David Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 11:06   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Power Source for CPAP machine

A 150 watt inverter ($25 at Walmart) connected to the boat battery. Don't use the humidifier (which you really don't need on a boat) and it will draw about 2 amps at 12 volts.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 12:32   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Best power source would depend on whether you've got enough battery power and a backup generator, etc. Aboard. Considering the machine is not a "luxury" and inverters are fairly cheap, I'd made sure to have a spare inverter, and make sure it works.

The machine MIGHT need a "pure sine wave" inverter to work, check with the manufacturer if necessary, since those are more expensive and if it is needed, you can burn out the machine by not using one.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 12:54   #4

You can buy a 12 volt cigarette plug in for your cpap and there is no problem running the humidifier, I've been doing it for over 3 years with the same machine with no issues, no need for an inverter.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 17:33   #5

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clark View Post
Will be crusing this summer and will be using a CPAP machien.Looking for best power source for a Resmed CPAP machine.
Make sure you have a Resmed s8 or S9. Only these two models can take 12 volts. They sell a converter to condition the voltage before going into the CPAP.

IF you have other Resmed, I guess you need an inverter. It is a bit less efficient. To save battery juice, I have never run with my humidifier.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 23:39   #6

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Brands other than ResMed can work on 12v.

What I do with the humidifier is fill the reservoir but set it to 0. No power is used but some humidity makes its way into the airflow. Turning on the humidifier is a power suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 07:33   #7

Boat: Island Pscket 31

Look at the back of the machine. If the input is 12 V you don't need an inverter. You can hook up the machine directly to your house battery or cigarette plug. You will need to buy or make the cable. When I charter a boat I bring along two cables, one can go directly to the battery with terminal camps like a battery charger has, the other goes in a cigarette plug. Not had a issue in many charters. Have not had to use the direct battery hookup. Good luck, be sure the wire is long enough to reach your bunk.
Sirago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 07:49   #8

Boat: EndeavorCat MkII 30

Be very careful with a Resmed CPAP. It says it is 12V, but it requires a particular square wave input. You need the resmed converter. If you go directly into the machine with a 12V DC feed, the machine will be toast. Voice of experience on that.

CPAP.com used to have a combo deal with a lithium battery and the inverter.
rthompsona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 08:08   #9

Boat: Island Pscket 31

My error, I meant to say 12 volt DC. If your machine requires 12 volts AC then the direct battery hook up will not work. Both my machines say
12 v = = = ____ one actually says DC the other does not, but they both have the broken lines on them.
Sirago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 08:38   #10

Boat: Cal 31 sloop

We bought a Philips Respronics CPAP that runs on 12vdc directly. When used at home it uses a "brick" power supply that puts out 12VDC. Been perfect. Depending on dryness of air, my wife may or may not use the vaporizer at night when we are on the boat. The vaporizer in this model is a separate unit that could even be left home.
thudbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 08:42   #11

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

We had crew with cpap. Used our mobilepower inverter by Curtis, model PL-50
Was cheap, like $30, bought it years ago when I owned Ocean Girl. On the inverter label says
Input: 10-15 VDC 5 A max
Output: 115VAC 0.5A 50W

Our crew used it nightly while at anchor with no problems.
Hope that helps
Erika
Old 21-02-2016, 08:58   #12

Boat: Taswell 49' All Season Pilothouse
Send a message via Skype™ to Brendan

Hi, my first post ever, but since I use CPAP, thought I'd chip in. I use a Transcend machine (Home) when traveling. You can get a 12v adapter to use this without the need for an inverter. They also sell a small battery that lasts 3 nights and can be recharged using 12v. This is handy if there is not a 12 v outlet near one's berth. I have a bigger Resmed machine at home, but it requires an adapter since it uses 18v input and I got sick of dragging it around on boats, so got the Transcend. Hope that helps.
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 09:01   #13

Boat: PDQ 44i

Resmed CPAP is a 12 V appliance. Assuming your boat has a 12 V electrical system it is silly to use an inverter to step up to 110 V and then a transformer to step back down to 12 V. Resmed sells a 12 V cord. Just buy one. You need no 110V cord with transformer like you use at home. If you plan to cruise in the tropics, you also don't need a humidifier.
doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 10:50   #14

Interesting exchange.

I have a Resmed C9 CPAP. The power inlet on the back of the machine shows 24v. Looks like a 12v dc source would not work?
Dean Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 12:24   #15

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
Hi, my first post ever, but since I use CPAP, thought I'd chip in. I use a Transcend machine (Home) when traveling. You can get a 12v adapter to use this without the need for an inverter. They also sell a small battery that lasts 3 nights and can be recharged using 12v. This is handy if there is not a 12 v outlet near one's berth. I have a bigger Resmed machine at home, but it requires an adapter since it uses 18v input and I got sick of dragging it around on boats, so got the Transcend. Hope that helps.

This is great info thanks, will pass this along to my friend who crewed for us. He is destined to be a full time cruisers.
Thanks for the great thread too.
Erika