Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2014, 06:28   #31

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Power management

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
You don't have that ability with a rolled alumunium evaporation plate since it has no hold over capacity.
While the evaporator plated doesn't have any hold over capacity, the food inside it does. If one has a separate freezer where the evaporator plate surrounds the food, one can run the temperature lower during power-abundance and this will put the food at a lower temp. The food then acts as a hold-over.

I put a small switch on ours that runs the compressor continually. When we are motoring or have more power than we need, I just let the compressor run. The temp drops from its normal 10F to -5F. Then when we no longer have the extra power, I put the compressor back in normal mode and it stays off until the freezer stuff has absorbed enough heat to go back to normal operating temps.

This, of course does not work for fridges, or spill-over systems that do not have a separate freezer compartment.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 08:17   #32

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

Maybe I am getting those wrong but I think he's saying he ISN'T consuming all his energy.

Adding more bank won't solve this problem, though it will store more for longer periods of time, but ultimately his power consumption needs to increase or he needs to dump the extra power into something, not try to save more.

If I got this wrong please forgive me.

Scot McPherson
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 09:09   #33

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot McPherson View Post
Maybe I am getting those wrong but I think he's saying he ISN'T consuming all his energy.
Yes, I didn't catch that at first, but that is what he is saying - his solar is spending a lot of time at idle, and he wants to capture more of it's potential in the fridge during the daytime.

Batteries are not his issue, however, I fail to see what the problem is. His batteries go lower during the night, but the solar just fills them back up. Capturing more energy in the fridge during the day would only mean that the solar had less work to do because it isn't recapturing the night now.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men