Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2019, 15:14   #1

power generation upfit

we are looking at a 40' island trader that has been land locked for longer than it deserves. if we purchase we will need to up fit a water maker, and power generation. it does not appear to have a genset on board at this time, I know it doesn't have any secondary generation. can you please suggest a general good starting point to price and size this equipment. we will eventually be live aboard in the carribean. just two of us. thanks bill
buddhadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 17:13   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: power generation upfit

Forget price for now and the watermaker, focus first on placement of a big heavy installed diesel genset in addition to the propulsion engine.

Did the original marine architect allocate space for one and extra fuel?

I would think if not, careful consideration is needed as to the impact on balance and sailing performance.

Once location is determined, look at sizing, and then you will know your choices available.

May also keep your mind open to the idea of making do with one or two suitcase inverter style units like Honda EU2200i, but they can be awkward, even dangerous, to use regularly.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 18:51   #3

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
May also keep your mind open to the idea of making do with one or two suitcase inverter style units like Honda EU2200i, but they can be awkward, even dangerous, to use regularly.

Well I'm in the same boat as Buddahdawd (to a degree). I've just installed a 24V 60A alternator to run off the auxiliary engine and was thinking of a Honda EU2200i as back-up. I know they are petrol powered and I don't like petrol on a yacht but I'm going to have it for an outboard anyway.

Apart from a significant solar power installation what is the alternative (on a 43ft yacht)?

Clive
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 20:45   #4

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhadawg View Post
we are looking at a 40' island trader that has been land locked for longer than it deserves. if we purchase we will need to up fit a water maker, and power generation. it does not appear to have a genset on board at this time, I know it doesn't have any secondary generation. can you please suggest a general good starting point to price and size this equipment. we will eventually be live aboard in the carribean. just two of us. thanks bill

There are many choices.

The Next-gen UCM1-3.5 is widely considered the starting point. It is a 3500 watt diesel generator built around a Kubota engine. It is 30% larger than the "suitcase" generators such as the Honda eu2000 series. Last time I updated my notes prices started at around $5700 FOB.

Fischer-Panda is another manufacturer to consider although I believe the Next-gen is a better product for less money.

Northern Lights makes long-lasting, high quality generators that are typically larger, heavier, and more costly. They would typically be fitted on larger vessels but would be something for you to consider.

For watermakers, http://seawaterpro.com is among the least expensive with products starting at around $1600. You can pay more for quiet watermakers that use less electricity and are easier to use but the basic watermaking function is the same.

That should be enough to get you started.
Jammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 23:21   #5

What about a 2.2 kva diesel generator weighing 54kg? I wonder if they are any good? The price of $3800 is AUD so it would be around $US3000

https://www.mygenerator.com.au/genel...by-yanmar.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Temp Diesel Gen..JPG
Views:	168
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	185761  
Old 12-02-2019, 03:18   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, 'dawg.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:38   #7

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
What about a 2.2 kva diesel generator weighing 54kg? I wonder if they are any good? The price of $3800 is AUD so it would be around $US3000

https://www.mygenerator.com.au/genel...by-yanmar.html

Those are not marinized. They're air cooled with a dry exhaust, and therefore could not be installed below decks. They are 3600 RPM, and that means they will be loud.
Jammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 03:29   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Those are not marinized. They're air cooled with a dry exhaust, and therefore could not be installed below decks. They are 3600 RPM, and that means they will be loud.
I was trying to get away from a petrol generator for safety reasons.

Apparently the Honda EU2200i is very quiet but they too have a dry exhaust and they too are air-cooled of course. They weigh half the weight of the Yanmar diesel (I'd expect that) but I bet they have half the life too.

I wouldn't want to run my generator bellow decks because I don't have enough room and I don't want the complications of water cooling etc. It would be a back-up generator so I could tolerate a bit of noise

The supplier does state
"This is a portable air-cooled diesel generator designed for short term/standby applications. For prime/continuous power, a stationary water-cooled diesel generator is recommended."

From 498 reviews the rating is 96% positive

Clive
Old 13-02-2019, 03:52   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Power is or should be a three legged stool.
What I did was fit as much Solar as I could, and as big a battery bank as was practicable. Then I went with a 165 amp alternator and a Balmar controller.
Then I fitted a Nexgen 3.5 KW based mostly on size and weight to run the Watermaker mostly but to also charge batteries if needed and even run the AC very occasionally.
In order to keep from putting so many hours on the Nexgen I got a Honda.
In truth I usually run the Honda, with the exception of running the AC occasionally, I don’t need the Nexgen, Primary power generation is by Solar.

If you look on Alaska forums etc. they say the Honda’s will run for thousands of hours, it seems the only problem they have is the crankcase vent freezing shut and blowing the crankshaft seal, which is not going to be a problem for most of us.

I can charge the batteries hard with the Honda, or make water or heat water for our shower, but one at a time, the Nexgen can do all three at once, that is the difference in a Honda and a built in Diesel from my experience.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 04:04   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Power is or should be a three legged stool.
What I did was fit as much Solar as I could, and as big a battery bank as was practicable. Then I went with a 165 amp alternator and a Balmar controller.

I'll install solar panels (probably over the transom) as well as the hard dodger. I have a 24V 60A alternator on the engine,

I'd feel happier if I had back-up generator and if I have to go for petrol it will be a lot cheaper than a Honda and no doubt noisier. (Actually I found a small one (500W) on the rubbish dump and that works alright!!)
Old 13-02-2019, 22:54   #11

power generation upfit

I've had a MEPS (mobile electric power solutions) Seapower system installed on a yanmar 4banger (4JH3E) that worked pretty well (once the belt tensioning system was figured out). meps.com/seapower-systems if you're interested. While it takes a little adapting and overcoming (especially in tight spaces), you won't have to worry about running all the systems a second engine requires (fuel, cooling, exhaust, all in addition to the electrical stuff). Just make sure that one engine is treated like the queen she is. And you'll save double digit kilos.
keelsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 00:08   #12
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

No details at all on the website.

So what they call a generator is just a power head that attaches to your propulsion engine?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 01:38   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
No details at all on the website.

So what they call a generator is just a power head that attaches to your propulsion engine?

Well a chap by the name of GordMay has this to say:

"Sea Power" (a DC alternator mounted on your propulsion engine) was/is manufactured by Mobile Electric Power Solution, Inc. (MEPS).
CEO Bill Chambers is very helpful.

Mobile Electric Power Solutions, Inc. (MEPS)
2714 West Kingsley Road, Suite A-2, Garland, TX 75041
PO Box 550248 Dallas, TX 75355-0248
Telephone: +1-972-864-1015
Fax: +1-972-271-0635

Web ➥ http://www.meps.com/New_Site/Documen...ochure-kVA.pdf

So John you are right.

(Their new link is:
https://www.meps.com/wp-content/uplo...kwseapower.pdf )
Old 14-02-2019, 01:40   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Apparently the Honda EU2200i is very quiet but they too have a dry exhaust and they too are air-cooled of course. They weigh half the weight of the Yanmar diesel (I'd expect that) but I bet they have half the life too.
The Honda's are super quiet with low loads and only a bit more noisy when running flat out. Very popular with market traders in the UK who run them all day long without disturbing the customers and ultra reliable too. Ours ran perfectly for 5 years, only sold when we fitted solar and stopped needing it.

The big advantage is that you can run them for 10 years and dispose of it without major complications. The latest 2200i is about £1000 in the UK, or $900 on Amazon US.

If you want push button generation or have heavy loads then its probably a inboard diesel. But for modest needs, if you are willing to lift out of the locker and secure downwind on the deck the Honda will make a big saving on the budget and its portable.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 05:28   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

My cockpit is large, so I put a cover on the Honda and lash it to the front of the pedestal.
While I feel it is likely safe to put it in a locker because it does have a fuel shutoff and a vent, I’m a little uncomfortable with gasoline in a locker.
Fuel storage is of course on deck. I don’t understand why people are so reticent to carry gasoline?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote