Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2019, 21:13   #46

Boat: Beneteau Cyclades 43.4
Re: power generation upfit

If I were looking at adding a gen-set I would seriously look at this

https://www.integrelmarine.com/

I stumbled upon it as we are looking at going lithium

We are going to add about 900W of solar to our boat along with a load of new batteries. If you are in the Med then sunlight shouldn't be too much of an issue and this could be worth a serious look if you have the solar/ Renewable space capacity.
DreamWeaver III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2019, 19:02   #47

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Well I have reluctantly decided to get a portable generator but it won't be a Honda EU2000i generator costing $A1800.

The Chinese made Gentrax is selling really well in Australia and is getting extremely good reviews (142 reviews for a 4.5 out of 5 rating) and is far more powerful and less than a third the price of the Honda.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GenTrax-...b1LR:rk:1:pf:0

Here is a video showing how noisy a 2KVA generator is

coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 01:00   #48

I just received this in my email. I don't understand what they are claiming.

Is it relevant to this thread?

https://www.australiandirect.com.au/...=&utm_content=
Old 25-02-2019, 02:06   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
I just received this in my email. I don't understand what they are claiming.

Is it relevant to this thread?

https://www.australiandirect.com.au/...=&utm_content=
Just a question,
Why are you not maximizing the output of the alternator on your main engine. 60 amps is small.
Why not install 160amps, double pullied?
Install a bit of solar as well, then after some time consider these other options.
At least you will have maxed out the normal options.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 02:31   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
Just a question,
Why are you not maximizing the output of the alternator on your main engine. 60 amps is small.
Why not install 160amps, double pullied?
Install a bit of solar as well, then after some time consider these other options.
At least you will have maxed out the normal options.
Some time ago I bought two Hutton 55 winches from Australian Direct and now they keep sending me Stores Newsletters. I'm not intending to buy their new ultra modern generator. I am just wondering if it is relevant to the thread and if so what does it do?

I've just installed a brand new 24V 60A alternator (very cheap at $50). And I have just installed it with double groove pulleys. (To buy it now they'd be around $500). I'd probably have trouble fitting a bigger alternator.

Yes I'll be getting solar panels too but one thing at a time.....
Old 25-02-2019, 11:10   #51

Boat: Summer Twins 25

[QUOTE=coopec43;2832779]Well I have reluctantly decided to get a portable generator but it won't be a Honda EU2000i generator costing $A1800.

The Chinese made Gentrax is selling really well in Australia and is getting

Reviews are generally made by people after they brought a product, not by people using them over months or years.

I worked for many years on Chinese generators - at one point the company did a study and for every 1 they sold 3 came back for warranty! Hence how i got started in Generator package design, its done wonders for my career

I am presently driving a 5 year old Chinese car though and that's going strong ( Its not mine lol )

If your going Petrol ( i have no problem with it ) like Gas and Batteries they can all burn and can be equally dangerous, treated correctly they are as safe as each other.

2 things for petrol use

1) Petrol has a shelf life and its surprisingly short - The storage life of petrol is one year when stored under shelter in a sealed container. Once a seal is broken the fuel has a storage life of six months at 20°C or three months at 30°C.

2) Buy a Honda - while i don't have much experience with Suitcase gens, i can tell i have seen these used and abused, not had an oil change in years, and thick like sludge air filter clogged up, Carb bowl half full with water and then the capacitor or AVR fails - Engines still working ( Honda GX160 / GX200 )

I would buy a used Honda GX over any other new Petrol genset
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 14:30   #52

Quote: Reviews are generally made by people after they brought a product, not by people using them over months or years.UNQUOTE

I would have thought with all the online forums these days word would quickly get around if a product was useless.
Old 25-02-2019, 15:03   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
power generation upfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTP View Post
If you really motor that much, why did you go the sailboat route instead of a trawler? Seems like all you really gain is a lightning rod?

Also, if you are running a diesel at 20HP continuously, you are consuming probably 1.5 to 2 gallons of fuel an hour. (don't start this "my diesel sips a pint an hour" because it is not doing that at 20HP output). 2 gallons for 24 hours is 48 gallons of fuel, larger tank than a lot of sailboats have.

Again, maybe a trawler?

I move maybe more than you may realize. I sail whenever possible, but it’s not always possible, yet I still move.
My average fuel burn is slightly less than 1 gl an hour, a Trawler is likely several times that, and in the open ocean a sailboat is much more comfortable with the sails up, whether motor sailing or just sailing.
Active stabilization on a Trawler is way outside of my pay scale.

I would want / need 20 HP in my opinion, I currently have 40, but rarely if ever use more than 20, so therefore I think I could live with 20 HP if I had to.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 17:22   #54

Boat: Summer Twins 25

Don't be afraid of using your diesel - the engine actually enjoys being used - anything less than 70% power is abuse. ( well less than 50% is abuse in the short term and less than 70% long term )
i have 25 HP in a 25ft Cat if i had fitted the engine i would of been looking at 15HP
when you need to move its better to run a small diesel at 90% than a big one at 50%

i Liked this on another thread - https://www.vicprop.com/calculator.htm
It may help you
OK its for propellers but its a good guide to twist the numbers and see the HP needed
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote