Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2016, 08:16   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Powder coat or anodize my solar frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kita View Post
I would consider a good quality epoxy paint & a good primer underneath. It's easy to touch up & will last almost as long as a powder coat & way cheeper.. to the fellow who thinks it's not needed? Don't know where you are but in the FL sun & salt bare aluminum pits up in no time here,some extruded aluminum is already anodized and that may be what they use to Mount Your solar panels and that stuff holds up better but once you weld it where it's welded there is no anodized stuff anymore so you need to do something with that but that's why they bolt or screw that stuff together and try to stay away from welding it.
Actually I do bolt all of the frames together on customers vessels .
I see I did forget to mention that you should start with high quality aluminum to begin with and as far as welds I just brush on a light coat of clear fingernail polish.
( remember that the color people recog use as aluminum is actually oxidized the actual color of pure tig welded aluminum is ashen white not shinny)
Old 28-09-2016, 08:26   #17

powder coating of tempered aluminum will change the composition of the aluminum because it is a heat treatment
either anodize or leave in alone.
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 09:21   #18
Marine Service Provider

Don't overlook the wonders of good old fashioned Carnauba wax, which like equally old fashioned aspirin (willow bark tea) is a miracle product by most standard.

Good luck

John Mardall
Vetus Maxwell Group
JOHNMARDALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 09:34   #19

Boat: Hanse 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kita View Post
I would consider a good quality epoxy paint & a good primer underneath. It's easy to touch up & will last almost as long as a powder coat & way cheeper.. to the fellow who thinks it's not needed? Don't know where you are but in the FL sun & salt bare aluminum pits up in no time here,some extruded aluminum is already anodized and that may be what they use to Mount Your solar panels and that stuff holds up better but once you weld it where it's welded there is no anodized stuff anymore so you need to do something with that but that's why they bolt or screw that stuff together and try to stay away from welding it.
any suggestions on the paint type/brand? I like this idea, simple for me to do! Inexpensive as well, and might work to prevent water from hitting the alum and corroding it.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 12:21   #20
Marine Service Provider

The surface of anodized aluminum will out last paint in most cases but it still conducts electricity. Painted aluminum will not. Salt and aluminum, even anodized aluminum, together make small batteries that eventually eat holes in the metal. 30yearslater mentioned a great idea, never heard of painting or power coating over anodized aluminum before and have it come out well, but if it works as he says that covers all the bases.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 14:37   #21

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

Painted aluminum will look great for a while either polyurethane or powder coat but will fail eventually. Anodized is best practice and will look good for the longest, easy for small parts but a lot of effort for long parts. Bare aluminum will be some what of an eyesore but at least it will not be rotting under the paint. Guess it depends on how much effort/expense you want to put into the project and how long you need it to look good for.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 14:43   #22
cruiser

Boat: Kettenburg K40

Lots of the commercial fishing boats up this way in the PNW run aluminum tower's and gear.

Jus us stupid sail boaters use Stainless Steel , Bronze, $$$ and more $$$$ to doll things up...KISS always works..........
ur2slo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 14:44   #23
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
( remember that the color people recog use as aluminum is actually oxidized the actual color of pure tig welded aluminum is ashen white not shinny)
6061 T6
Old 28-09-2016, 14:48   #24
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
any suggestions on the paint type/brand? I like this idea, simple for me to do! Inexpensive as well, and might work to prevent water from hitting the alum and corroding it.
Having painted many aircraft, I used Awlgrip, sprayed. BUT, you do need to acid etch and alodine it or you will fight adhesion....looks great holds up fairly well...IF you don't chip it or ding it with sumthin.

my 2 cents. that and a nickle will get u ....well 7 cents...

Old 28-09-2016, 15:55   #25
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I had a factory painted mast once. Great job.

But eventually you get a few tiny failures, and unlike raw or anodized aluminum, the corrosion concentrates in the one spot and digs. Better to have light, all-over oxidation.

Never again. Folks like the way it looks, but from a functions standpoint, in a marine environment, it is all bad.

I only paint interior aluminum.
Old 28-09-2016, 16:21   #26

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I do not know their secret, but I own a RIB with a powder coated hull. It is now 12 years old, with constant daily usage. It has heaps of scars where I have dragged it over rockl and other abrasive things... but the powder coating is fine in all the other areas. Not peeling, not chalking... I'm impressed!

The hull was manufactured by the Swift dinghy folks in Queensland. They seem to have their powder coating stuff together!

Jim
Old 28-09-2016, 16:33   #27

Boat: 1978 Rafiki 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
I used two coats of Interlux Primecote after stripping, alumiprep and alodine prep, then two coats of Interlux Perfection. Looks very durable so far. It is not the cheapest paint, but cheaper and better than powdercoating which needs sandblasting usually for prep. I should only need to light sand after 5-6 years and add a third topcoat.
JerseyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 16:43   #28
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I suppose that this will sound kina old fashioned, but you could just paint the frame. With good undercoats and prep followed by some 2 pot polyurethane paint, it will look good and last quite a few years... and you can DiY!

Jim
Exactly what I did
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar