Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2019, 04:18   #1

Portable Honda Generator Alternative

Hi All,

Currently cruising in the Med, and about to cross the Atlantic to the Caribbean. I'm considering buying a portable generator for power backup.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an alternative to the Honda EU2200i?

Thanks in advance...
pandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 04:38   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Portable Honda Generator Alternative

I had a blue Yamaha 1000 on my old boat. It was reliable and lightweight.
Old 21-08-2019, 05:24   #3

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

When we lived ashore we had a Yamaha 2400 with a built in start capacitor for our earthquake kit. We also used it on our Lake Powell houseboat with no issues.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 05:53   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
When we lived ashore we had a Yamaha 2400 with a built in start capacitor for our earthquake kit. We also used it on our Lake Powell houseboat with no issues.
While I have yet to buy one, my air conditioning install includes a soft start capacitor to accommodate a portable generator. Now, what to buy...
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 05:59   #5
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

There are so many choices now in inverter generators it makes you head spin. I got my Honda a few months ago and there were lots of on line comparisons and you could answer your questions quickly with a google search. In the end you have to just decide to get a Honda (or maybe the yamaha) or try to save a few hundred $ and take your chances.

In the end I got the Honda just due to the proven reliably and I'm impressed with it overall.
Old 21-08-2019, 06:09   #6

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Consumer Reports is generally considered an objective source of information on reliability of everything and they recently reviewed portable generators.

Don’t recall their recommendations but it should be easy to find it. There were a few recommended options in addition to Honda
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 08:49   #7

Boat: Montgomery 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandw View Post
Hi All,

Currently cruising in the Med, and about to cross the Atlantic to the Caribbean. I'm considering buying a portable generator for power backup.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an alternative to the Honda EU2200i?

Thanks in advance...
We like Honda, but bought a Yamaha because our outboard is a Yamaha. Easier to order parts & spares. Like it a lot. As for a cheaper genset, I can't say. When considering all the trouble we've had with small engines over the years, buying a lesser known (knock-off) wasn't really considered.
rmlarson1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 09:07   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I looked into all the options a few years ago when I wanted to buy a portable gen for the boat. I had already purchased a larger Yamaha for the house because they had the size and model I wanted. It's for emergency backups so have used it very little but so far I love it.

For the boat as others have mentioned there's lots of Honda knockoffs available today but when you read reviews and ratings you see mixed results. With the Honda, other than a recall due to a design flaw in the first 2200s sold, I seldom if ever hear of any problems. Instead you read about cruisers that have used them for years, stored on deck, rusty looking but still run perfectly.

To save a few hundred for something you will probably keep for years and can be a real lifesaver doesn't really seem to make sense to me so I bought a Honda. I got the companion model because that on included a 30 amp twist lock plug. Same power and specs as the standard, just a better plug and allows me to plug my regular shore power plug into the Honda and power the whole boat.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 09:25   #9

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

I used a Kipor (Chinese Honda knock off) for over five years after my Honda 2000EU died. Bought it in the Dominican Republic, but it is also available in the USVI and Puerto Rico. Only slightly louder than the Honda but one half the price, same for parts. I ordered them out of a Florida Kipor dealer. Now I have a Harbor Freight Predator 2000. It is a true sine wave inverter. Like it a lot, over 1000 hours running time and still starts on the first or second pull. Less than US$500 out the door, occasionally on sale for less.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 09:30   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

Costco had the Yamaha 2000 for about $550 as I recall, stacked up like cordwood, by the front door. I think it's very similar to the Honda (inverter type, can be linked to one another to synchronize their power). I am interested in one to run an AC chainsaw when I am too far away from AC power, and I am very tempted to buy one.

Now available online for $400, which seems like a heck of a deal.

Chuck
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 09:31   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

The big standby generator manufacturer has one out now that is apparently very good, can’t remember the name.
You know the one they sell at Lowe’s etc that is in a big fiberglass box.

Generac 2200 $600, Honda $1,000
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 09:43   #12

Boat: Newport 41 MKII/S Carioca

If you're looking for a small generator, Ryobi makes a 700 watt propane powered generator. It takes the one pound bottles or has an adapter for the larger tanks.
carioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 09:52   #13

Boat: Alubat Cigale 16m

Presumably, your boat takes 110V if you are talking about a Honda 2200i. If 220V then suggest you buy the Honda EU22i and take it with you. Not a great dealer network in Caribbean but very reliable so dealer network not probably an issue.

We had one of the EU22i generators that was recalled and could not fix til in the USA but would certainly buy the same generator next time around as this one runs problem free.
Telesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 10:22   #14
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Do not imagine just because the Generac label is on it, that they actually make it, nor that the build quality is close to that of a Honda or Yamaha, those two are the only good ones, since Robin/Subaru (Fuji Heavy Industries, Ltd) got out of the business.

All the ex-western brands are now cheap-chinese clones, fine if you plan to never bother taking it in for servicing, when it breaks toss it buy another, then might as well just buy the cheapest one you find locally that meets your needs.

Besides quiet, look for the ability to join two units together (Companion) to double your current output.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 11:25   #15

There isn't a quieter ~2000w generator available than the Honda. The difference is huge compared to the knock-offs, and to me, well worth the extra money even without considering anthing else. +10db may not look like much on paper, but it is 10 times louder. Imagine having 10 generators running instead of one. Don't trust manufacture decibel numbers, look at independent testing. The numbers will surprise you.

The newer Hondas have a shutoff feature that runs the remaining fuel out of the carb before shutdown that will save you a lot of hastle and maintenace down the road. Again, worth the extra scratch in my opinion.
Inkog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, honda