Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2011, 03:16   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Portable Generators: Bolyi 3600W

Anybody having some experience and expertise with the portable generator Bolyi (made in china) 3600 W? Apparently it is widely used on RV without problem. What about on a boat?
Old 05-04-2011, 11:59   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Portable Generators: Boliy 3600W

In fact the name is Boliy, and the model is Pro 3600SI.
Boliy Pro3600Si Digital Inverter Generator
Old 05-04-2011, 16:33   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Portable Generators: Bolyi 3600W

Apparently nobody on the forum has ever used this generator?
Old 05-04-2011, 17:47   #4
Ike

Boat: FL12 12 ft rowboat, 8 foot sailing dink, 18 foot SeaRay I/O

I am strongly opposed to using any portable generator on a boat. There are significant issues with carbon monoxide and shock hazard. Yes people do it, and so far as I know no one has been killed yet, but it's just a matter of time until someone does something stupid. See http://newboatbuilders.com/docs/portable.pdf
Old 05-04-2011, 17:56   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

H-O-N-D-A.... 'Nuff said
Old 05-04-2011, 18:57   #6

Boat: csy 37

for local cruising you might get away with a cheap generator because you won't truly be depending on it. one cruiser i met had a cheap generator on the aft deck of his center cockpit cruiser which he ran every morning to charge his batteries, and, i think, run a few 120 devices like a microwave oven and coffee maker. got it at harbor freight for a few hundred bucks. it was less than a year old and already rusting to crap in the salt air. guess he figured that, cruising along the u.s. east coast, he could alway find another whenever it gave out, which appeared to be soon.

but if you intend to rely on your generator, as i do, buy a honda. it's incredibly reliable, quiet, and miserly on gas. there's a worldwide support network, something that off brand could not dream of. mine is over five years old and looks and works like i bought it yesterday.

it's one of the few things on my boat that i bought knowing that i could have spent a lot less for...
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 21:08   #7

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

As above

H O N D A

Can't really figure how to get shocked pulling a starter rope, but I guess it could happen..
OH, I just figured how to get shocked, Honda didn't start on First pull.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:18   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I don't see the problem with CO2 if i use it exclusively on deck and never inside.
HONDA: if you compare both the Boliy and Honda , Boliy has better specs. Hundreds of RV users (I googled it) seems satisfied with it. Why not boaters?
What I would like to know is anybody has experience of THIS generator on a boat?
I thank all for your advices and comments but I don't see any of you having any direct experience (good or bad) with this brand of generator.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:39   #9

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse

70lbs!!!

Hard to move around. Reminds me of the Yamaha generator I have collecting dust in the garage. I actually use the two red Honda generators. Usually one at a time unless I splurge on the air conditioner then I link the two together.
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:06   #10

Boat: Newport 28 MKII

Check out this link on Trailer Life RV forum regarding Chinese generators:

Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: 3000W Chinese Gensets Info.

I helped an elderly neighbor research these a year ago and found this forum very helpful. As the OP pointed out, many RVers have bought the inexpensive generators, but with less than good results. It might be worthwhile to point out that the RV manufacturers do not install the chinese generators, mostly using Onan, Kohler, etc. I cannot remember if the Bolyi brand is listed, but many are made by a few companies and re-branded. Warranty claims, service and parts are a real issue. Honda is by far the leader in the RV world for portable generators, followed by Yamaha. Hope this helps.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:15   #11

Boat: Newport 28 MKII

also compare the db ratings...the Honda 3000 is 49-58db and the Boliy is 53-59db at HALF thottle. Wonder what it is under a load? Maybe someone here can confirm if each decible increase doubles the sound level?
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:35   #12

I would also recommend the Honda as a first choice. I converted to electric propulsion in 2008 and use a Honda 2000 for bulk charging my 48 volt and 12 volt battery banks and operate power tools. I also use it to do extended motoring to power my boat along at 3 knots without touching the 48 volt battery bank. I've even found it very useful at home in the off season:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: A SNOWBOUND SAILOR: HELP ME HONDA!
As others have said it just works. On the other hand I've had fellow sailors use a knock off Chinese generator that had some issues from the start. Not major ones but, enough that would give me pause before buying one as a replacement for my Honda:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: A SHORT HONEYMOON WITH THE HONEYWELL HW2000i GENERATOR
The Honda has not failed me in three years of operation.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:57   #13

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

As an RV'er also, sitting in my Foretravel right now, most rv's ise Onan's.
Ten's of thousands of campers use Honda's, Have never seen a camper using the noiey vibrating Boliy's. According to the owners that I have talked, thay wish they would have paid the few extra $ and bought a Honda.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:51   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

AMYTOM: "70lbs!!!........ I actually use the two red Honda generators. Usually one at a time unless I splurge on the air conditioner then I link the two together. "

I don't get your point at all: the Honda is double that at 134 Lbs.. so I'd rather have one half the weight, no? One of the reason I would like that model is the lesser weight than its competitors and I don't intend to bring it around, it'll stay at the mast foot...
and one is enough at 3600W for my A/C
Old 06-04-2011, 11:13   #15

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
AMYTOM: "70lbs!!!........ I actually use the two red Honda generators. Usually one at a time unless I splurge on the air conditioner then I link the two together. "

I don't get your point at all: the Honda is double that at 134 Lbs.. so I'd rather have one half the weight, no? One of the reason I would like that model is the lesser weight than its competitors and I don't intend to bring it around, it'll stay at the mast foot...
and one is enough at 3600W for my A/C

Each Honda 2k is closer to 40 pounds and smaller. This makes moving them around much easier. I picked up the Yamaha 2400 as it would fire up the air conditioner on it's own but the larger size and weight makes it too difficult to move around and store.
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote