Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2011, 11:15   #16

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Re: Portable Generators: Bolyi 3600W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
also compare the db ratings...the Honda 3000 is 49-58db and the Boliy is 53-59db at HALF thottle. Wonder what it is under a load? Maybe someone here can confirm if each decible increase doubles the sound level?

A 3db change is a doubling of power. But it takes almost doubling the power to produce noticeable change in perceived volume. A 3db change is noticable a 10db change is completely unacceptable.
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 15:14   #17

Boat: csy 37

alecadi - since nobody on this board has experience with the bolli perhaps you should test it for us. my only suggestion to you is that you don't go anywhere where you might have to truly rely on it.

like the guy i met at watson island, if you just daysail along the east coast you'll always be able to duck into a harbor freight somewhere and buy another cheap generator....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 15:39   #18

Since I have no first hand knowledge of this generator, I checked with some of my camping buddies on another forum. That generator has quite a following. Several of the folks said that there were some wires left off switches, loose bolts, poorly designed spark plug boot and a delay from the fuel shut-off valve to the carb making it take a few more pulls than should be necessary.

Everyone said that any technical issues were handled promptly and service was good. After the initial quality control issues they are running very well. Some even report running 4000 watt loads for a half an hour or so. Many are running 16,000 BTU air conditioners with no starting problems. Yes, they are a little noisier than the Honda but not a lot. People seem to love them and have had no real issues. Reliability has been very good also even after a few years. Here's a little comparison I found:

Because this info came from several landlocked lubbers no one knew how they would hold up to salt water. Sorry. Hope this helps.

Bill Burgette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:29   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Burgette View Post
Since I have no first hand knowledge of this generator, I checked with some of my camping buddies on another forum. That generator has quite a following. Several of the folks said that there were some wires left off switches, loose bolts, poorly designed spark plug boot and a delay from the fuel shut-off valve to the carb making it take a few more pulls than should be necessary.

Everyone said that any technical issues were handled promptly and service was good. After the initial quality control issues they are running very well. Some even report running 4000 watt loads for a half an hour or so. Many are running 16,000 BTU air conditioners with no starting problems. Yes, they are a little noisier than the Honda but not a lot. People seem to love them and have had no real issues. Reliability has been very good also even after a few years. Here's a little comparison I found:

Because this info came from several landlocked lubbers no one knew how they would hold up to salt water. Sorry. Hope this helps.
Thank you so much Bill. Very useful answer. I think I'll go for it and we'll let you all know how I manage with my cheap Chinese portable generator....
By the way, if we could not buy in America cheap made in china products.. we would not buy many things at all... and also: lots of Japanese terrific not so cheap products are ALSO manufactured in China.
Thank you all .
I'm relatively new in this forum but in a few weeks I have had a LOT of good and quite useful info and recommendations. I'm learning a lot!!
Old 07-04-2011, 12:07   #20

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse

BTW Most 16Kbtu air conditioners will run on a Honda 2K. I have a 20Kbtu air conditioner and it will (barely) run on a single Honda 2k but I use two to ensure the charger and microwave are also able to run.
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 08:59   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So here I'm with my new Bolyi, 3600 with electric start reporting to you:

-first it took quite long to get it delivered.
-I got it now, put oil and gas in it , followed the instruction and... still trying to get it started !!!

And now trying to get Bolyi service so they can help me to start this engine...

On the other hand the owner's manual is very very limited in contents.. you have to look for yourself to see where is the spark plug for example as there is no indication in the book etc...
Old 31-05-2011, 09:05   #22

Check around again for some safety shutoff or fuel valve. A good check, now that you've found the sparkplug, is to take it out and observe both a spark and gas-rich air pumping out of the cylinder.

Or Neptune is trying to tell you to to simply lower your energy requirements and go with quiet clean reliable safe solar......
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 16:37   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
Check around again for some safety shutoff or fuel valve. A good check, now that you've found the sparkplug, is to take it out and observe both a spark and gas-rich air pumping out of the cylinder.

Or Neptune is trying to tell you to to simply lower your energy requirements and go with quiet clean reliable safe solar......
No such a thing
there is a on/off fuel switch and NATURALLY it's on.
And I put oil, and gas...
Old 01-06-2011, 04:24   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There was another "on" switch!! on top of the on position of the start key!!
It works now
and the noise in econo mode is really not so loud. It is really quiet.
So far so good
Old 05-06-2011, 13:39   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A/C doesn't start

So the Bolyi gen is on the boat and is working perfectly.

But the A/C doesn't start

I read somewhere that on old AC (mine is a Cruisair probably as old as the boat) you need to add a relay for it to start properly on a generator.

Anybody can give me more details?

Thank you

Alec
Old 05-06-2011, 16:13   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

This is what you need: http://www.supco.com/images/pdfs/AC%...%20Booklet.pdf

My little 5000 BTU unit needs better than 3000 watts to start. It only needs about 500 watts to run. I put one of these on and it starts and runs on a 1000 watt generator.
Old 05-06-2011, 16:30   #27

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
Anybody having some experience and expertise with the portable generator Bolyi (made in china) 3600 W? Apparently it is widely used on RV without problem. What about on a boat?
I just noticed that you list your homeport as Marathon. Marathon City Marina will not allow you to use that generator at a mooring. The limit is a HONDA 2000. No construction generators are allowed.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 17:08   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
also compare the db ratings...the Honda 3000 is 49-58db and the Boliy is 53-59db at HALF thottle. Wonder what it is under a load? Maybe someone here can confirm if each decible increase doubles the sound level?
Every 3dB increase doubles the sound level measurement, but it takes about 10dB for us to recognize it as a doubling of sound. Logarithmic hearing and all that.
ie. 49dB to 59dB = twice as loud (perceived)
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:01   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: A/C doesn't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
So the Bolyi gen is on the boat and is working perfectly.

But the A/C doesn't start

I read somewhere that on old AC (mine is a Cruisair probably as old as the boat) you need to add a relay for it to start properly on a generator.

Anybody can give me more details?

Thank you

Alec
Anybody can help on this?
Old 07-06-2011, 08:10   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

HopCar provided an applicable link in post #26

See slso: E Class Hard Starts

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote