Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2011, 12:15   #16
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Posts: 600
Re: Portable Generators: Bolyi 3600W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
also compare the db ratings...the Honda 3000 is 49-58db and the Boliy is 53-59db at HALF thottle. Wonder what it is under a load? Maybe someone here can confirm if each decible increase doubles the sound level?

A 3db change is a doubling of power. But it takes almost doubling the power to produce noticeable change in perceived volume. A 3db change is noticable a 10db change is completely unacceptable.
__________________

__________________
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 16:14   #17
Registered User

Join Date: May 2008
Location: daytona beach florida
Boat: csy 37
Posts: 2,844
Images: 1
Re: Portable Generators: Bolyi 3600W

alecadi - since nobody on this board has experience with the bolli perhaps you should test it for us. my only suggestion to you is that you don't go anywhere where you might have to truly rely on it.

like the guy i met at watson island, if you just daysail along the east coast you'll always be able to duck into a harbor freight somewhere and buy another cheap generator....
__________________

__________________
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 16:39   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 238
Re: Portable Generators: Bolyi 3600W

Since I have no first hand knowledge of this generator, I checked with some of my camping buddies on another forum. That generator has quite a following. Several of the folks said that there were some wires left off switches, loose bolts, poorly designed spark plug boot and a delay from the fuel shut-off valve to the carb making it take a few more pulls than should be necessary.

Everyone said that any technical issues were handled promptly and service was good. After the initial quality control issues they are running very well. Some even report running 4000 watt loads for a half an hour or so. Many are running 16,000 BTU air conditioners with no starting problems. Yes, they are a little noisier than the Honda but not a lot. People seem to love them and have had no real issues. Reliability has been very good also even after a few years. Here's a little comparison I found:



Because this info came from several landlocked lubbers no one knew how they would hold up to salt water. Sorry. Hope this helps.
__________________
Failure is most often times a temporary condition........
Giving up is what makes it permanent.



Bill Burgette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:29   #19
Registered User
 
Alecadi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Marathon FL
Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Posts: 937
Re: Portable Generators: Bolyi 3600W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Burgette View Post
Since I have no first hand knowledge of this generator, I checked with some of my camping buddies on another forum. That generator has quite a following. Several of the folks said that there were some wires left off switches, loose bolts, poorly designed spark plug boot and a delay from the fuel shut-off valve to the carb making it take a few more pulls than should be necessary.

Everyone said that any technical issues were handled promptly and service was good. After the initial quality control issues they are running very well. Some even report running 4000 watt loads for a half an hour or so. Many are running 16,000 BTU air conditioners with no starting problems. Yes, they are a little noisier than the Honda but not a lot. People seem to love them and have had no real issues. Reliability has been very good also even after a few years. Here's a little comparison I found:



Because this info came from several landlocked lubbers no one knew how they would hold up to salt water. Sorry. Hope this helps.
Thank you so much Bill. Very useful answer. I think I'll go for it and we'll let you all know how I manage with my cheap Chinese portable generator....
By the way, if we could not buy in America cheap made in china products.. we would not buy many things at all... and also: lots of Japanese terrific not so cheap products are ALSO manufactured in China.
Thank you all .
I'm relatively new in this forum but in a few weeks I have had a LOT of good and quite useful info and recommendations. I'm learning a lot!!
__________________
People spend time putting little boats in bottles, me I put bottles in my little boat...
Alecadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 13:07   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Posts: 600
Re: Portable Generators: Bolyi 3600W

BTW Most 16Kbtu air conditioners will run on a Honda 2K. I have a 20Kbtu air conditioner and it will (barely) run on a single Honda 2k but I use two to ensure the charger and microwave are also able to run.
__________________
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 09:59   #21
Registered User
 
Alecadi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Marathon FL
Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Posts: 937
Re: Portable Generators: Bolyi 3600W

So here I'm with my new Bolyi, 3600 with electric start reporting to you:

-first it took quite long to get it delivered.
-I got it now, put oil and gas in it , followed the instruction and... still trying to get it started !!!

And now trying to get Bolyi service so they can help me to start this engine...

On the other hand the owner's manual is very very limited in contents.. you have to look for yourself to see where is the spark plug for example as there is no indication in the book etc...
__________________
People spend time putting little boats in bottles, me I put bottles in my little boat...
Alecadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 10:05   #22
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,016
Images: 4
Re: Portable Generators: Bolyi 3600W

Check around again for some safety shutoff or fuel valve. A good check, now that you've found the sparkplug, is to take it out and observe both a spark and gas-rich air pumping out of the cylinder.

Or Neptune is trying to tell you to to simply lower your energy requirements and go with quiet clean reliable safe solar......
__________________
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 17:37   #23
Registered User
 
Alecadi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Marathon FL
Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Posts: 937
Re: Portable Generators: Bolyi 3600W

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
Check around again for some safety shutoff or fuel valve. A good check, now that you've found the sparkplug, is to take it out and observe both a spark and gas-rich air pumping out of the cylinder.

Or Neptune is trying to tell you to to simply lower your energy requirements and go with quiet clean reliable safe solar......
No such a thing
there is a on/off fuel switch and NATURALLY it's on.
And I put oil, and gas...
__________________
People spend time putting little boats in bottles, me I put bottles in my little boat...
Alecadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:24   #24
Registered User
 
Alecadi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Marathon FL
Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Posts: 937
Re: Portable Generators: Bolyi 3600W

There was another "on" switch!! on top of the on position of the start key!!
It works now
and the noise in econo mode is really not so loud. It is really quiet.
So far so good
__________________
People spend time putting little boats in bottles, me I put bottles in my little boat...
Alecadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 14:39   #25
Registered User
 
Alecadi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Marathon FL
Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Posts: 937
A/C doesn't start

So the Bolyi gen is on the boat and is working perfectly.

But the A/C doesn't start

I read somewhere that on old AC (mine is a Cruisair probably as old as the boat) you need to add a relay for it to start properly on a generator.

Anybody can give me more details?

Thank you

Alec
__________________
People spend time putting little boats in bottles, me I put bottles in my little boat...
Alecadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 17:13   #26
Sponsoring Vendor
 
HopCar's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Miami Florida
Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Posts: 3,165
Re: Portable Generators: Bolyi 3600W

This is what you need: http://www.supco.com/images/pdfs/AC%...%20Booklet.pdf

My little 5000 BTU unit needs better than 3000 watts to start. It only needs about 500 watts to run. I put one of these on and it starts and runs on a 1000 watt generator.
__________________
Hopkins-Carter Marine Supplies & Fishing Tackle
What You Need, at the Price You Want...with Service!
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 17:30   #27
Registered User
 
Jentine's Avatar

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Cruising on the hook
Boat: Beneteau 393, "Blackthorn"
Posts: 744
Images: 5
Re: Portable Generators: Bolyi 3600W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
Anybody having some experience and expertise with the portable generator Bolyi (made in china) 3600 W? Apparently it is widely used on RV without problem. What about on a boat?
I just noticed that you list your homeport as Marathon. Marathon City Marina will not allow you to use that generator at a mooring. The limit is a HONDA 2000. No construction generators are allowed.
__________________
Jim

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 18:08   #28
Registered User
 
redcobra's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Towson, MD Chesapeake Bay
Boat: Pearson 39 Yawl "ZigZag"
Posts: 516
Re: Portable Generators: Bolyi 3600W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
also compare the db ratings...the Honda 3000 is 49-58db and the Boliy is 53-59db at HALF thottle. Wonder what it is under a load? Maybe someone here can confirm if each decible increase doubles the sound level?
Every 3dB increase doubles the sound level measurement, but it takes about 10dB for us to recognize it as a doubling of sound. Logarithmic hearing and all that.
ie. 49dB to 59dB = twice as loud (perceived)
__________________
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:01   #29
Registered User
 
Alecadi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Marathon FL
Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Posts: 937
Re: A/C doesn't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
So the Bolyi gen is on the boat and is working perfectly.

But the A/C doesn't start

I read somewhere that on old AC (mine is a Cruisair probably as old as the boat) you need to add a relay for it to start properly on a generator.

Anybody can give me more details?

Thank you

Alec
Anybody can help on this?
__________________
People spend time putting little boats in bottles, me I put bottles in my little boat...
Alecadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:10   #30
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,594
Images: 240
Re: Portable Generators: Bolyi 3600W

HopCar provided an applicable link in post #26

See slso: E Class Hard Starts
__________________

__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DC Generators? jallum Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 5 27-02-2010 14:19
Generators - Have you Heard of Boliy Generators? KayW Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 5 27-10-2009 03:57
generators sailorboy1 Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 6 11-12-2008 13:23
generators jean1146 Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 3 06-12-2006 15:46
Generators irwinsailor Engines and Propulsion Systems 76 08-02-2005 05:44



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:23.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.